Player Discussion Arber Xhekaj: The Sheriff

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
Xhekaj is living rent free in the leafs Pre-game thread discussion. They are pissed that they have to dress Reaves just in case.

I honestly don’t want Xhekaj to fight Reaves. Xhekaj is more important to us long term than fighting unidimensional heavyweights.

It’s just interesting to see the deterrent impact Xhekaj is having on other teams, while not even being at is peak yet.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Xhekaj is living rent free in the leafs Pre-game thread discussion. They are pissed that they have to dress Reaves just in case.
Don't dress Reaves and nothing will happen because Xhekaj isn't actually a goon...

I feel like Leafs and Sens (fans and teams) are just trying to stir shit so they can play the victim afterward.

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018

I honestly don’t want Xhekaj to fight Reaves. Xhekaj is more important to us long term than fighting unidimensional heavyweights.

It’s just interesting to see the deterrent impact Xhekaj is having on other teams, while not even being at is peak yet.
I do and I want him to beat the shit out of him like he did with Kassian. Then you'll never hear of this again.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Not sure I like the Xhekaj and Barron pairing. I think they will get exposed on the road. We will see.

Our D core has so much potential but they are still very young. This is the area that will push us up or hold us back.
They will be fine.....................that said wouldn't mind seeing the Sherriff and Struble do their thing on the 3rd pair also....

Impossible to avoid fighting Reaves. Par for the course one might say.
I have faith that he will handle himself well win or lose.
If Reaves loses to the Sherriff again, he might as well go be with the Marlies.
The guy is a joke of a player now.
At least Arber can play the NHL game.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It's a shame that thugs who can't play can still affect a game. Arber will hold his own but as a Dman he is far more valuable than a 5 minute per game goon.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They will be fine.....................that said wouldn't mind seeing the Sherriff and Struble do their thing on the 3rd pair also....

I'm sure we will try various combo's on the 3rd pairing. Xhekaj seems to be focused more on the player protection area vs providing stable D. I have faith he figures that out over time as he mature more.

From the 3 (Xhekaj, Barron, Struble), I trust Struble the most in our own zone.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
It's inevitable, but I am not excited to see it. Arber is tough but he does leave himself open to eat some shots. He's been built up so much that if he falls, we wll never hear the end of it. A nice tie up with no one getting hurt is fine by me.

Reactions: CAUFIELD

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
X fighting goons creates more problem for him then actually fighting. It takes away his concentration of his defensive game.

I don't trust MSL not holding any fighting against X. He talks the big talk about team toughness but in reality, the only one that can take care of business is X and last time he sent him down when he took too many penalties.

So which is it? Sacrifice some of his skill/play to protect Hutson and CC or ignore them and play a safe, sound defensive game?

Tell you what, bring in a good to deal with goons and let X play the game.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's inevitable, but I am not excited to see it. Arber is tough but he does leave himself open to eat some shots. He's been built up so much that if he falls, we wll never hear the end of it. A nice tie up with no one getting hurt is fine by me.
I wish I knew him personally and push him to take boxing lessons.

I took martial arts and while I was good at that, a boxer almost took my head off. A few weeks later, I was in his gym and learning the basics....of how to defend/take a punch and picking my spots.

X is risking his hands and head long term by punching helmets and taking shots. Tough buys like Lucic knew how to box and used his skill very effectively on the ice. I don't want X to slur his speech before he hits his 70s.

Reactions: overlords

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
So which is it? Sacrifice some of his skill/play to protect Hutson and CC or ignore them and play a safe, sound defensive game?

Why are you pretending that these are the only two options?

Also - Xhekaj didn't get sent down last December strictly because he was taking too many penalties. The issue was more about the kinds of penalties he was taking (he wasn't tripping guys trying to execute a poke check of hooking guys that otherwise would have gone in alone. A lot of his penalties were lazy or selfish and it was hurting the team.)

But moreso than the discipline issues, he was just making a lot of mistakes, particularly under pressure, and he didn't have the freedom to make mistakes at the NHL level, so he was sent to the AHL to iron out some issues, raise his confidence and work on his play without the puck (positionally, he was all over the place by the time he was sent down.)

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

LOL
I hope he's able to line up one of their Right Wingers with a perfectly timed bone cruncher.
You know the kind that alters a player's zone entry strategy for the rest of the evening.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital

I hope he fight Reaves , Reaves is an overpaid goon and im sure Xhekaj can flat him out and then the leafs would atleast respect us on the physical aspect of the game

Matthews4Calder

Nov 27, 2016
BC Western Canada

If Reaves loses to the Sherriff again, he might as well go be with the Marlies.
The guy is a joke of a player now.
At least Arber can play the NHL game.
If you called that a fight. X jumps him which he is great at but how many punches did either land and pushing a guy into the back of a net is not winning a fight. Tired of all this talk about what happened to aline and what may happen. I hope they skate out to centre ice and drop and whoever wins wins.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I expect them to go tomorrow - for the simple reason that Reaves likes to run around, and Arber protects his teammates.
Reaves is considered the best fighter in the league, but he's not going to rag doll a 6'4, 240 lbs powder-keg. Probably one of those spinorama fights.
MSL should be dressing Pezzetta.
Too many small guys in the lineup tomorrow.

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022
Don't dress Reaves and nothing will happen because Xhekaj isn't actually a goon...

I feel like Leafs and Sens (fans and teams) are just trying to stir shit so they can play the victim afterward.
This! What laffs' and turds' fans won't admit to themselves is that X only activated after the scrubs in their lineups went after our top 6 guys. Don't hurt our players and you won't have to worry about Xhekaj. Seems simple enough,

CharleyHorse

Sep 28, 2022
I hope he fight Reaves , Reaves is an overpaid goon and im sure Xhekaj can flat him out and then the leafs would atleast respect us on the physical aspect of the game
Frankly, I couldn't give a shit whether they respect us or not. They should be more worried about the respect we extend to them. It’s laff-able to watch them pounding their chest over beating a rebuilding team, only to bow out of the playoffs in seven games year after year.

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

Reaves is on the spit on yourself pod today and he looks like he got into cycling and stopped lifting he's gonna get beaten to a pulp.

Can't wait

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad