NHL Talk Miscellaneous NHL Discussion CIX: Processing a Tremendous Amount of Insane Information

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This made me think: when was the last time the Flyers made a judgment call on a prospect before or during their ELC? Gauthier doesn't count. Obviously, I don't think this team has been in position to be selling. But there is such a thing as getting out in front of value drops and honestly re-assessing your own talent each year. You can screw that up too!

But I remember Isaac Ratcliffe was an untouchable prospect. You'd never believe it with how the Flyers think they're the smartest team, but they likely value their own prospects way too highly. Only to later tank the NHL usage/value even for the best ones. It's like the worst of both worlds, and it doesn't make sense. I call it: "The Deadhead Prospect Principle."

They watch their mediocre prospects in camp dominate against their shitty prospects. That gives them the illusion that the mediocre prospects are actually special.

Last edited:

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ

Obviously never happening here, but this is going to be fascinating to watch play out.
That's awesome! Should be the way all teams move towards the future. I'm surprised it's free but they will make all of the money for advertising themselves now. I hope it's a huge success and more teams, both in the NHL and other sports consider it.

I think games streamed on ESPN+ and the like have been failures mainly because there is a subscription needed to watch it and games aren't consistent enough on it to make the purchase worth it. If the flyers had this with a subscription service even with them being terrible I'd pay and watch happily. As it stands I'll continue just pirating their streams until a viable option is created.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
That's awesome! Should be the way all teams move towards the future. I'm surprised it's free but they will make all of the money for advertising themselves now. I hope it's a huge success and more teams, both in the NHL and other sports consider it.

I think games streamed on ESPN+ and the like have been failures mainly because there is a subscription needed to watch it and games aren't consistent enough on it to make the purchase worth it. If the flyers had this with a subscription service even with them being terrible I'd pay and watch happily. As it stands I'll continue just pirating their streams until a viable option is created.
Man, I really like Dallas.

They draft well, play a fun style, and take risks. Just an awesome organization.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014

ESPN+ is like no more than $10 a month and you get every single hockey game, plus a whole bunch of other content. If you like hockey, that one should be a no brainer

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Yes they apply. Games on TNT and TBS cannot be watched either. Games on ESPN cannot be seen unless you have a cable subscription.
Yea that's what I thought. So if I'm in the market, and don't have cable I have no way to watch unless I stream it illegally.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Yea that's what I thought. So if I'm in the market, and don't have cable I have no way to watch unless I stream it illegally.
You can run a vpn and change your IP to out of the area, but you need a bit of savvy if you want to do that on your TV and not just a computer.

Reactions: WolfOfBroadStreet14

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
To be fair, it already basically does happen here.

Comcast pockets the advertising money. No different than the Stars being able to pocket what ads they bring in with this new plan.

I feel like the Flyers will be the last team to do something like this.
They own RSN’s in other markets too, and will definitely be among the last, but if they saw it as valuable, they’d be trying to get in some of these rights, and they’re not.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
You can run a vpn and change your IP to out of the area, but you need a bit of savvy if you want to do that on your TV and not just a computer.
Sure. But I can also just go to a site that must not be named, pick any one of a dozen streams and throw it up on the TV via Chromecast without paying anything. That doesn't change if there's a legit streaming service I can use, but the convenience of it along with supporting a team I actually give a shit about would be worth it for me to do it. But without any other options they just lose out.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Are there any good free agents left? Sprong (43) and JVR (38) had the most of the remaining guys (not counting Pavelski).

If the Flyers traded Laughton, they could sign Cousins to replace him. More likely they have their eyes on Clutterbuck and Matt Martin.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad