Movies: Twister Sequel: Twisters

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
Twister was a fun movie but back then there wasn't live streaming. Now you can just go to YT and watch tornadoes live as they happen.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
That doesn't look good or worthwhile, IMO. It just looks like a re-hash. With a $200M budget, no star power and Deadpool & Wolverine opening a week later, it's going to flop, I suspect.
Eh I think it will be pretty effective counter-programming to Deadpool. Want a blockbuster but not a superhero movie? There ya go.

Obviously if it ends up being complete shit then that will control everything, but if it's an effective, fun movie and a throwback to like 1998? Could have decent legs.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Eh I think it will be pretty effective counter-programming to Deadpool. Want a blockbuster but not a superhero movie? There ya go.

Obviously if it ends up being complete shit then that will control everything, but if it's an effective, fun movie and a throwback to like 1998? Could have decent legs.
Maybe, but it seems mainly targeted at a demographic too young to remember the original from 1996, and the same 15-35 male-skewing demographic that Deadpool & Wolverine is targeting. It's not like Barbie and Oppenheimer, which contrasted each other perfectly because the audiences were starkly different. If it's Aug 1st and a group of 20-something guys is deciding whether to check out "that tornado movie" with no one that they recognize or go see Deadpool & Wolverine for the second or third time, I suspect that they may choose the latter. We'll see, though.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
$200M production budget for this feels like its setting up a very hard hill to climb for it at box office.

Also, I imagine plenty of people like me are dismissing it but who knows many of today's generation didn't go see Twister in theaters and may not even be aware of it

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I'm down. Probably not see it in theatres down but I'll give it a watch. We had the first one on VHS and I'd always put it on when I was babysitting my siblings.

Always loved the
DON'T DRIVE INTO THE TORNADO
I'M GOING TO DRIVE INTO THE TORNADO
NO DON'T DO IT YOU'RE NOT TOUGHER THAN A TORNADO

just stupidity of the whole thing
RIP Bill Paxton

Reactions: kingsholygrail

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Well, I'm surprised. This is actually getting good reviews. It has a 77% critic score on RT after 146 reviews and Jeremy Jahns enjoyed it:

He mentions, interestingly, that it was shot on 35mm film, which contributes to it looking like the original and helps the CGI blend in. That seems like a pretty clever filmmaking decision.

Reactions: BertCorbeau

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
$200M production budget for this feels like its setting up a very hard hill to climb for it at box office.

Also, I imagine plenty of people like me are dismissing it but who knows many of today's generation didn't go see Twister in theaters and may not even be aware of it
Wow. $200 mill budget. Add in market and promotions, it is going to need to make well over $300 mill to break even. Not sure I see that happening for this movie.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Not surprised at all it’s getting good reviews. Can’t wait to see it! First movie in years i’m going to theaters for.

Who hasnt heard of Twister? It was a classic natural disaster movie.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Not surprised at all it’s getting good reviews. Can’t wait to see it! First movie in years i’m going to theaters for.

Who hasnt heard of Twister? It was a classic natural disaster movie.
I'm guessing a lot of young people have never heard or at least seen the original Twister. It might be a classic natural disaster film but I doubt many young people watch classic movies these days.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I'm guessing a lot of young people have never heard or at least seen the original Twister. It might be a classic natural disaster film but I doubt many young people watch classic movies these days.
I feel like that’s the type of movie that airs every few months on FX or one of those channels. It’s always on. Maybe some havent but that’s like our generation never hearing about the movie Jaws.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I feel like that’s the type of movie that airs every few months on FX or one of those channels. It’s always on. Maybe some havent but that’s like our generation never hearing about the movie Jaws.
Young people don't watch TV though, they watch YouTube.

As far the movie, Twister is one of wife's favorites so we'll probably see this on Saturday

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
94% audience score at RT.

Yea, this will be one of the big movies of that year:
Furiosa had a 93% on its first day of release and flopped. I wouldn't read much into that alone. It needs to have a strong weekend (as it's projected to), but, even then, Deadpool & Wolverine comes out next week, which could suck (pun intended) for this film's long-term box office.

trojansoilers

May 4, 2022
I think we're starting to see the rise of Glen Powell as a legit leading man. Top Gun Maverick, The Hit Man, and this year with Twisters.
The guy's got some undeniable rizz (am I using it right?)

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I think we're starting to see the rise of Glen Powell as a legit leading man. Top Gun Maverick, The Hit Man, and this year with Twisters.
The guy's got some undeniable rizz (am I using it right?)
Anyone But You did $220 mill against a $25 mill budget too so he even has major success crossing over to RomComs. He’s a certified star at this point.

Reactions: trojansoilers

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
It was freaking fantastic. As somebody who is a Midwesterner and was 16 when Twister came out - so it is legit one of the core popcorn movies of my youth...Twisters hit all the right notes. You can tell it was created by people who understood exactly why the first one is such a cult classic.

Yeah, it is absurd, unrealistic and pretty heavily stereotypes the people in my neck of the woods - but the absurdity of it is part of the charm. The entire think is a wink and a nod - and there is currently no actor out there who pulls that off better than Glenn Powell. Writing and storyline and character depth was actually better than I expected as well.

It was a top class sequel in the way Top Gun 2 was. It brings you back...but never feels like a cheap imitation. There are callbacks galore - but it can stand on its own too. I'm not sure a star system will do it justice...this one is there to be entertaining and a crowd pleaser - and my girlfriend and I both had huge smiles on our faces afterwards.

See it on the big screen...and see it in Dolby Atmos or a similar type of theater if you have that option. Pure A+ summer popcorn movie.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Furiosa had a 93% on its first day of release and flopped. I wouldn't read much into that alone. It needs to have a strong weekend (as it's projected to), but, even then, Deadpool & Wolverine comes out next week, which could suck (pun intended) for this film's long-term box office.
81M it’s first weekend. Think it will do fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad