NHL Talk Miscellaneous NHL Discussion CIII: 2024 Stanley Cup Playoffs for Thee

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Maurice has let his team down. They needed more lineup changes tonight.

Edmonton is comfortable playing defensively, and letting the counter attack generate goals.

Floridas aggression is their undoing imo.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Ive been saying since the end of Game 4 that this was going 7 only for the Oilers to still lose. The pressure actually shifts back to them in Game 7, and that little shift is all it takes and why there have been so few comebacks in 3-0 series.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Still time to prove me wrong in Game 7, but after Bob was retconned into being a playoff monster I love seeing him revert to his annual Roman Cechmanek impersonation

• Haha
Reactions: MacDonald4MVP

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
It’s hard to blame Bob when the team in front of him has been hot garbage

He won them game 1.

Maurice had been rolling with the same set up for a game too long here imo

Credit to Edmonton though, Skinner has stabilized - and defensively they haven’t allowed Florida to sniff a thing.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Or they do and they put a wound in Edmonton that never heals lol
The Panthers will have more to lose though. If the Oilers lose in Game 7 they'll say they did their best and at least made it a series after 3-0 down. The Panthers on the other hand will never hear the end of it.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't know enough about Edmonton's specifics to gauge how their former Babyman coach handled the lineup and deployment, but I do know that their transition looks a lot better under Knoblauch, assuming my limited viewing of them this year is representative enough to call that. Seen Edmonton hold up and run what looks like planned breakouts from behind their own goal line instead of just giving the puck to McDavid and following. And then I think about how that was what he ran here and how transition/entry were the only intriguing parts of those teams, and how some of us noticed that and wanted Knoblauch kept and groomed.

Life as a Flyers fan!

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
He won them game 1.

Maurice had been rolling with the same set up for a game too long here imo

Credit to Edmonton though, Skinner has stabilized - and defensively they haven’t allowed Florida to sniff a thing.
As I said earlier, the Oilers are killing the Panthers in the middle of the ice. They are forcing Florida into bad decisions with the puck leading to turnovers and odd man rushes the other way.

Reactions: renberg

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I don't know enough about Edmonton's specifics to gauge how their former Babyman coach handled the lineup and deployment, but I do know that their transition looks a lot better under Knoblauch, assuming my limited viewing of them this year is representative enough to call that. Seen Edmonton hold up and run what looks like planned breakouts from behind their own goal line instead of just giving the puck to McDavid and following. And then I think about how that was what he ran here and how transition/entry were the only intriguing parts of those teams, and how some of us noticed that and wanted Knoblauch kept and groomed.

Life as a Flyers fan!
Wasn't the PP under him pretty bad though? Not that it got much better after him...

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Ive been saying since the end of Game 4 that this was going 7 only for the Oilers to still lose. The pressure actually shifts back to them in Game 7, and that little shift is all it takes and why there have been so few comebacks in 3-0 series.
Three of the four who have reverse swept did it by winning Game 7 on the road.

Both teams will feel the pressure, but the team that has lost three straight will be experiencing more doubt.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
As I said earlier, the Oilers are killing the Panthers in the middle of the ice. They are forcing Florida into bad decisions with the puck leading to turnovers and odd man rushes the other way.

He hasn’t adjusted. I’ve seen the dance before with the Jets. Those top two lines needed a change up tonight. I’d like to see them pinch a little less. I know it’s worked for them, but Edmonton is eating it up.

I can’t help but to give the Oilers credit though. Skinner was going post to post for games 4-5, and it was beautiful to watch. Defensively they have been solid.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Life as a Flyers fan!
The other big things was that he made were reassigning roles on the bench to Mark Stuart (PK coach) and Paul Coffey. And they started getting saves.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Wasn't the PP under him pretty bad though? Not that it got much better after him...

I was typically pretty mum on PP blame then because I didn't know who was to blame. The way they kept up their blue line bombing to the point of it being forcefed had (and has now) led me more towards Hakstol mandates being a problem.

Kinda hard to judge when a team has McDavid, too. Drop McDavid into our PP and I bet Rocky starts looking a whole lot smarter.

Reactions: TCTC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad