News Article: Mirtle: Maple Leafs Ownership Could Make Massive Changes if 'Really Disappointing First-Round Exit' Happens Again in the Playoffs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Ownership missed the boat for massive changes last year, and I think that's going to cost Shanahan his job. Kind of hard to have these "massive changes" when you no longer have any power on the player due to NMC, MLSE no longer has the power to do anything if the players doesn't want to move on.

I would imagine Shanahan is fired and so is Keefe and Treliving is left waiting for a new boss to be hired.

Reactions: fahad203

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Ownership missed the boat for massive changes last year, and I think that's going to cost Shanahan his job. Kind of hard to have these "massive changes" when you no longer have any power on the player due to NMC, MLSE no longer has the power to do anything if the players doesn't want to move on.

I would imagine Shanahan is fired and so is Keefe and Treliving is left waiting for a new boss to be hired.
They still have the power to strip a player of the captaincy and play the player wherever they want in the lineup to the point of healthy scratch. Marner above all wants money in a new deal and it would affect future earnings if he/Tavares played all of next year on the 4th line and scratched if they bitch or underperform. No PP, no PK and stapled to the bench when the other team pulls their goalie. Mitch won't get 11-12M from any team if he only gets 30-40 regular season points.

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
We all know how the Leafs make massive changes:
1714998931601.gif

I believe it when I see it.

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
Its Keefe and Marner out the door. For sure. Which thank god, I can't keep watching Marner's perimeter play and not shooting in the playoffs. And Keefe's "Play not to lose style." Marner didn't even talk to the media post game 7.

They'll try to move Tavares, but I doubt it occurs. He's gone next summer when he falls off the next cliff. Its clear this is Auston and Willy's team now. And they where clearly the 2 best of the big 4 in the post season...again.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
They still have the power to strip a player of the captaincy and play the player wherever they want in the lineup to the point of healthy scratch. Marner above all wants money in a new deal and it would affect future earnings if he/Tavares played all of next year on the 4th line and scratched if they bitch or underperform. No PP, no PK and stapled to the bench when the other team pulls their goalie. Mitch won't get 11-12M from any team if he only gets 30-40 regular season points.
Yes, I was on board in the other thread to stirp JT of his captaincy and give it to 34 or 44.

The Marner scenario doesn't make sense and it will never happen. I don't recall any team sitting there 100 point winger a year before UFA to try to sabotage them. or forcing a good player to be a healthy scratch. Making a players life miserable here just so he accepts a trade is a bad way to conduct business, other UFAs take note and wouldn't sign here.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Its Keefe and Marner out the door. For sure. Which thank god, I can't keep watching Marner's perimeter play and not shooting in the playoffs. And Keefe's "Play not to lose style." Marner didn't even talk to the media post game 7.

They'll try to move Tavares, but I doubt it occurs. He's gone next summer when he falls off the next cliff. Its clear this is Auston and Willy's team now. And they where clearly the 2 best of the big 4 in the post season...again.
i hate this more than his awful play

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
Just avoiding to be held accountable for his performance (or lack of) in the playoffs. Marner needs to go. We lost Hyman, just so we can keep Marner and his contract demands (wasn't worth the money, regular season is one thing, but the post season is where it counts the most)

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
The Board of Directors has acted twice like this since Bell/Rogers took control in 2011. Corporate Boards aren't like private owners who actually want to make team specific decisions. They hire someone to do the job because they affect their organizations at the top. If you're a BoD you make a change of leadership for one of two reasons. You want someone to make a big direction change, or someone with a steady hand on the wheel to steer the ship that's already on the right path.

Pelley is not the first President and CEO of MLSE. Leiweke was the guy people remember, he made big changes, Hired Shanny and Ujiri. And they both bought big changes to the Raps & Leafs.

Exit Leiweke in 2015 and enter the next CEO & President: Michael Friisdahl. This was the steady hand on the wheel guy. Under him, we saw no big changes in upper management. Only saw success. Leafs grew from a failed team to an exciting new one, made the playoffs repeatedly. Raps won the title. He stepped down in 22 and since then the acting CEO has been the CFO in as a placeholder.

Now they bring in Pelley, another ex Rogers guys who's been running the PGA tour in Europe for 9 years and who is lauded for the success he builds and his innovation. Pelley doesn't look like a "steady hand on the wheel guy."

I think he cleans house. I think the board sees what we all see and this is how they act to change it.

Shanny will go, Tre likely gets a reprieve for now because they do need a hockey guy for the time being. Keefe is already gone most likely. I could see Shanny stepping down if he doesn't get fired. Which is the same thing just presented differently.

Last edited:

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The Board of Directors has acted twice like this since Bell/Rogers took control in 2011. Corporate Boards aren't like private owners who actually want to make team specific decisions. They hire someone to do the job because they affect their organizations at the top. If you're a BoD you make a change of leadership for one of two reasons. You want someone to make a big direction change, or someone with a steady hand on the wheel to steer the ship that's already on the right path.

Pelley is not the first President and CEO of MLSE. Leiweke was the guy people remember, he made big changes, Hired Shanny and Ujiri. And they both bought big changes to the Raps & Leafs.

Exit Leiweke in 2015 and enter the next CEO & President: Michael Friisdahl. This was the steady hand on the wheel guy. Under him, we saw no big changes in upper management. Only saw success. Leafs grew from a failed team to an exciting new one, made the playoffs repeatedly. Raps won the title. He stepped down in 22 and since then the acting CEO has been the CFO in as a placeholder.

Now they bring in Pelley, another ex Rogers guys who's been running the PGA tour in Europe for 9 years and who is lauded for the success he builds and his innovation. Pelley doesn't look like a "steady hand on the wheel guy."

I think he cleans house. I think the board sees what we all see and this is how they act to change it.

Shanny will go, Tre likely gets a reprieve for now because they do need a hockey guy for the time being. Keefe is already gone most likely. I could see Shanny stepping down if he doesn't get fired. Which is the same thing just presented differently.
Pelley at the presser = a vote of confidence for Shanny. The move to Friday is a classic weekend news dump.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Marner given every opportunity next year to justify another eight year contract.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Pelley at the presser = a vote of confidence for Shanny. The move to Friday is a classic weekend news dump.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Marner given every opportunity next year to justify another eight year contract.
This brand is trying to sell mediocrity .they want corporate seat holders and millions of jerseys sold with 34 88 91 and gulp ...16 sold to the people who care or once cared
The leafs want us to just accept it and SHUT THE f*** UP

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
This brand is trying to sell mediocrity .they want corporate seat holders and millions of jerseys sold with 34 88 91 and gulp ...16 sold to the people who care or once cared
The leafs want us to just accept it and SHUT THE f*** UP
I agree the ownership model, and the guys at the top are dysfunctional. They aren't however totally stupid business people. The pot of gold for an NHL franchise is a long playoff run. Sky high ticket prices, with no salary hit. MLSE would like nothing more than a Stanley Cup victory, they just seem incapable of getting out of their own way to make it happen.

horner

May 22, 2007
The only thing that will change is a new coach .
They will see how this core improves under him
JT wount be resigned
The only thing that will change if Marner wants to leave.

Reactions: Squiffy

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018

If Shanny keeps his job, the answer of how accountable MLSE demands of their staff will be answered.

You are correct, the changes needed to be made last year, at the latest. Should have been made three years ago as it was clear this structure was flawed and this core didn't have the compete needed to win under pressure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad