Minnesota Wild General Discussion - 2023-24

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The punishment if you use overage space is that you lose that space next season, but if you exceed the overage limit (7.5% of the cap I believe) by season end then you are deemed not cap compliant for the year and subject to additional fines, forfeiture of draft picks, and even forfeiture of games.

$2MM is a big swing to have to manage in the event that he did hit it, it would possibly prevent us from playing other rookies with A class bonuses, signing a 1 year UFA deal or taking on a deadline acquisition if they also sought performance bonuses that are actually obtainable. Wallstedt, Rossi, Faber, Ohgren, Khusnutdiov and any other rookies we play or acquire would all contribute to that bonus overage pool, adding a Patrick Kane or David Perron on bonus laden contracts would put us dangerously close to the overage limits if they all hit.

That 7.5% is $6.6m. So every ELC would need to hit their max along with Yurov and MN still doesn't come close to that. MN would also need to be right at the cap or using LTIR to go over the cap.

35+ 1 year contracts, ELC, and injury cases (rare) are the only contract that have bonuses available. It doesn't prevent the team from really doing anything, unless the players are hitting their bonuses.

The B bonuses are so out of reach for a FWD that they are pretty meaningless to be a throw in for a contract:

"B" Level Bonuses
"B" Bonuses are worth a maximum of $2 Million (up to $2.5M for players drafted in 2022 and later), and the full amount of the bonus is awarded if any of the following is achieved:
-Forwards: Top Ten in NHL Forward Goals, Assists, points, or points per game (min 42 GP)
-Win any of the following trophies: Hart, Selke, Richard, Conn Smythe, Norris
-1st or 2nd team All-Star

For reference this year 10th in FWD stats was 44g, 63a, 98p, or 1.27p/g. This is a Kaprizov or better player that makes these numbers. If an ELC contract is making those stats then they are more than worth the $2m bonus they would be due.

As far as signing a 35+ 1 year with a heavy bonus structure, this is GMBG in charge, he doesn't even give out signing bonuses. He'd just overpay them for the whole season and call it good. He's also only traded ever for bottom of the roster players, so I don't have any concerns about him trading for a rental that would be getting a lot of bonuses.

As far as taking a dead cap hit into the next season for players hitting bonuses. He had no problem with 8 years of dead cap due to buyouts. Heck MN will still have $1.67m for 4 more seasons in dead cap after the big cap hit ends.

Reactions: AKL

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I'm just saying it's not endless doom and gloom, unless that is where you want to be.
I mean , if you consider perpetual mediocrity and consistent failure when games matter to be doom and gloom then…..yes , it is all doom and gloom.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Faber would have qualified for all 4 "A" bonuses and a "B" bonus (ToI) this season, yet he had none written into his contract. That's almost $3m that he left on the table.

Team player, future captain, probably saves puppies from burning buildings in his free time

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
TL;DR of Russo’s article

-Willing to trade #13 for McGroarty

-Willing to trade down for an extra 2nd if players at 13 are of similar standing

-Continuing to talk a Gus trade but won’t just give him away; willing to keep him and spot start Wallstedt during the year

-Targeting top 6 players; mentions Laine but says the only way that works is if Columbus retains half of Laine’s cap hit.

-schedule expected to be announced on Tuesday

-Shaw not tendered a qualifying offer

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
TL;DR of Russo’s article

-Willing to trade down for an extra 2nd if players at 13 are of similar standing

-Continuing to talk a Gus trade but won’t just give him away; willing to keep him and spot start Wallstedt during the year

-Targeting top 6 players; mentions Laine but says the only way that works is if Columbus retains half of Laine’s cap hit.

Also Simon Johansson confirmed to not be getting a QO.

And the Identity counter hit a spike, drinks everyone!

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
TL;DR of Russo’s article

hoping McGroarty is in the fold by this time tomorrow

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
hoping McGroarty is in the fold by this time tomorrow
Not at the cost of our 1st and 2nd, for me, though. I don't think that WPG will be excited about sending us their young top prospect and having it rubbed in their faces for the next decade what they are missing.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Not at the cost of our 1st and 2nd, for me, though. I don't think that WPG will be excited about sending us their young top prospect and having it rubbed in their faces for the next decade what they are missing.
I hope we don’t trade back with Chicago and then potentially have a similar situation. With the Hawks having the guy we could have had.

Reactions: Sweetnut

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Little shocked that GMBG would have interest in Laine.

The way I'm reading that Russo article, it sounds more like Russo speculating and connecting dots than actual insider info.

Russo knows Wild are considering trading 13th pick and he knows McGroarty is available = 13th for McGroarty makes sense

Russo knows Wild are looking for a winger and Laine is available = Trading for Laine makes sense (with retention)

Reactions: Dickie Dunn

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Hey, we all love to get that sweatshirt for $10 at Marshall's that cost $55 at the Gopher site, even if we have to pick through 47 other pieces of crap.

No problem with Guerin asking around about everyone, and everything. That's his job.

Laine is 26 yo. It's bizarre that his two best years in the NHL were when he was a teenager.

Reactions: BuiumSaveUs

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I’m in on Laine. It would most likely be extremely dumb, but man it could also be very very fun. Imagine him on the left dot on the PP with Kap & Boldy feeding him. Plus this franchise has been short on Finns for awhile now

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Can we follow the T-wolves lead and trade our 2031 1st round pick to move up or does the NHL not allow trading picks that are 7 years in the future?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Hey, we all love to get that sweatshirt for $10 at Marshall's that cost $55 at the Gopher site, even if we have to pick through 47 other pieces of crap.

No problem with Guerin asking around about everyone, and everything. That's his job.

Laine is 26 yo. It's bizarre that his two best years in the NHL were when he was a teenager.
2 years at 50% retained would be interesting at least. If he were able to treat it as a fresh start and buckle down, he might make it worthwhile. If he doesn't, then at least it's only 2 years. The rest of our problems last longer than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad