Minnesota Wild General Discussion - 2023-24

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don't think Fleury's extension is actually an issue either. Only becomes an issue if you now try to force Wallstedt onto the roster by way of trading Gustavsson, but you don't need to do any of that.

In terms of extensions being bad, Foligno's was really bad, Zuccarello's was bad, Fleury's was neutral, if Middleton gets 4x4 that's probably neutral to a little bad, Hartman's was good.
I'd have Middleton's much closer to Hartman's than Foligno's, at the speculated amount.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I was very disappointed in Gustavsson's season last year. Doesn't mean the rationale of his extension wasn't justifiable in the summer of 2023 though.

He also had almost the exact same numbers as Vasilevskiy. Goalies are just really weird.
He let in some ranged shots that shouldn’t go in, and was inconsistent at times, but I thought he finished out the season well after he was called out. He gave up a few too many early goals that then snowballed into more while our team was playing loose trying to catch up, and the bottom two pairs were a complete mess for a large chunk of the season which did not help provide any support. I can still see him outplaying that contract in the coming seasons and as mentioned, the term and amount are not at all an issue holding us back for a guy that is essentially our starter.

Reactions: Sweetnut

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'd have Middleton's much closer to Hartman's than Foligno's, at the speculated amount.

Middleton is a run of the mill bottom pair defenseman. Maybe I'm off base here on what those guys tend to earn, but 4x4 is a lot for what he is. It's probably not a lot for the role he's been playing, but that's the same issue that led to Foligno getting 4x4 too, guys getting paid for a role they filled rather than what they are.

That said, I wouldn't have as much of an issue with Middleton getting the 4x4 as I do with Foligno because Middleton is still relatively young without the injury history Foligno has, and he does seem to click well with both Spurgeon and Faber. But still, LD is one of the spots we need to upgrade if we want to be a real team, and that would result in Middleton being pushed down to the bottom pair.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Stats don't support that.

Guess which goalie led all these stats (even strength) between the Gus/MAF of them:
.014 sv%,
.52 GAA
12.16 GSAA
.013 HDsv%
.23 HDGAA
3.02 HDGSAA
.15 rebound/60

Hint it wasn't Gus.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Guess which goalie led all these stats (even strength) between the Gus/MAF of them:
.014 sv%,
.52 GAA
12.16 GSAA
.013 HDsv%
.23 HDGAA
3.02 HDGSAA
.15 rebound/60

Hint it wasn't Gus.

Goalies need to show up for special teams play too, Wabit

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I don't think Fleury's extension is actually an issue either. Only becomes an issue if you now try to force Wallstedt onto the roster by way of trading Gustavsson, but you don't need to do any of that.

In terms of extensions being bad, Foligno's was really bad, Zuccarello's was bad, Fleury's was neutral, if Middleton gets 4x4 that's probably neutral to a little bad, Hartman's was good.
It’s an issue for me because Fleury sucks and should have retired.

Reactions: Sweetnut

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Goalies need to show up for special teams play too, Wabit

Yes they do. I'm not saying MAF was good last year either. Trying to say Gus was better than MAF is just false and neither of them were worth their contracts. The team goaltending cost MN making the Playoffs.

The PK was terrible last year outside of goaltending too. So I can't lay that all on the goalie's feet. I also weigh the ~2k even strength mins a bit heavier than the ~200 PK mins that the goalies each see over the course of a season.

Skaters need to show up for special teams too. So that makes Zucc a steal at $4m/yr, right?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Middleton is a run of the mill bottom pair defenseman. Maybe I'm off base here on what those guys tend to earn, but 4x4 is a lot for what he is. It's probably not a lot for the role he's been playing, but that's the same issue that led to Foligno getting 4x4 too, guys getting paid for a role they filled rather than what they are.

That said, I wouldn't have as much of an issue with Middleton getting the 4x4 as I do with Foligno because Middleton is still relatively young without the injury history Foligno has, and he does seem to click well with both Spurgeon and Faber. But still, LD is one of the spots we need to upgrade if we want to be a real team, and that would result in Middleton being pushed down to the bottom pair.
I don't see him as too much different than a guy like Mikkola. Same type of role, similar attributes. So I guess I disagree with "run of the mill bottom pair defenseman".

The bolded is also the rationale for my opinion.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't see him as too much different than a guy like Mikkola. Same type of role, similar attributes. So I guess I disagree with "run of the mill bottom pair defenseman".

The bolded is also the rationale for my opinion.

I mean I get it. I said it would be mostly neutral and only maybe a little bad. But it's not worth getting excited about. It's not a good deal for Wild.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yes they do. I'm not saying MAF was good last year either. Trying to say Gus was better than MAF is just false and neither of them were worth their contracts. The team goaltending cost MN making the Playoffs.

The PK was terrible last year outside of goaltending too. So I can't lay that all on the goalie's feet. I also weigh the ~2k even strength mins a bit heavier than the ~200 PK mins that the goalies each see over the course of a season.

Skaters need to show up for special teams too. So that makes Zucc a steal at $4m/yr, right?

If Goalie A lets in 3 5v5 goals and 1 in all other situations, and Goalie B lets in 1 5v5 goal and 4 in all other situations, Goalie B let in more goals.

If you value sample size, let's also include the year before last when we compare them.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If Goalie A lets in 3 5v5 goals and 1 in all other situations, and Goalie B lets in 1 5v5 goal and 4 in all other situations, Goalie B let in more goals.

If you value sample size, let's also include the year before last when we compare them.

Even all strengths MAF had slightly better GAA.

TBH I'd say their all situations stats are a relative tie. There isn't one that was definitivly better than the other by any means.

It's not 1 goalie gave up 2g and the other gave up 5. They were both giving up 3 goals per game.

I'll for sure take the 10x larger sample size of even strength play compared to PK time. As for things that are more easily correctible. Everything with the team PK was an abnormality compared to years past. The even strength d-zone play was the same quality for the team as the same years past though.

When you have a goalie tandem that was worse than the Dub/Stalock combo things need to change at that position. Not just run it again and hope for the best.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Even all strengths MAF had slightly better GAA.

TBH I'd say their all situations stats are a relative tie. There isn't one that was definitivly better than the other by any means.

It's not 1 goalie gave up 2g and the other gave up 5. They were both giving up 3 goals per game.

I'll for sure take the 10x larger sample size of even strength play compared to PK time. As for things that are more easily correctible. Everything with the team PK was an abnormality compared to years past. The even strength d-zone play was the same quality for the team as the same years past though.

When you have a goalie tandem that was worse than the Dub/Stalock combo things need to change at that position. Not just run it again and hope for the best.

If all situations stats are a relative tie, you look at the year before
If you like bigger sample sizes, you look at the year before

No matter how you approach it, Gus comes out on top. Gus has been the better goaltender since coming to Minnesota. His contract was easily justifiable when it was signed. If you feel something needed to change, you should be way more upset about the Fleury extension.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So, who’s up for offering the 2025 1st and Lambos for Chychrun extended?

I would do a different prospect, which probably works out anyway, because Ottawa already has Sanderson, Chabot, Kleven and Brannstrom at LD.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
So, who’s up for offering the 2025 1st and Lambos for Chychrun extended?
Conceptually it’s fine with a reasonable contract, but I am personally not a big fan of the player, just from assorted viewings. If it happened I wouldn’t be upset. If the Middleton rumor is true, I don’t see this happening though.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm not super into +/- for reasons that are pretty commonly known, but I think there might be something with:

Sanderson +8
Chabot -3
Zub +5
Bernard-Docker -7
Hamonic -10
Chychrun -30!!!!

Where is he going to fit??
Brock faber: extending also
Jonas brodin
Spurgeon
Jacob Middleton: getting extended on July 1st

Not worth having money committed to 5Dman
In theory, he would "fit" by pushing Middleton down to the 3rd pair.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Jonas brodin
Spurgeon

In theory, he easily pushes Middleton down. I would put him on a pair with Faber and call that the top pair.

If Guerin's plan is to keep Middleton as a top four D and not try to find an upgrade there, we're not going very far. Spurgeon is getting worse and more injured, Brodin is Nick Schultz with better marketing. You can't have those two playing prominent roles and also have Middleton as your 4D for much longer, and expect to win much of anything.

I'm not super into +/- for reasons that are pretty commonly known, but I think there might be something with:

Sanderson +8
Chabot -3
Zub +5
Bernard-Docker -7
Hamonic -10
Chychrun -30!!!!

He's a flawed player, definitely more offensive than defensive, but he's still a good #3, and he just turned 26

P10p

May 15, 2012
In theory, he easily pushes Middleton down. I would put him on a pair with Faber and call that the top pair.

If Guerin's plan is to keep Middleton as a top four D and not try to find an upgrade there, we're not going very far. Spurgeon is getting worse and more injured, Brodin is Nick Schultz with better marketing. You can't have those two playing prominent roles and also have Middleton as your 4D for much longer, and expect to win much of anything.

He's a flawed player, definitely more offensive than defensive, but he's still a good #3, and he just turned 26

Brodin is miles ahead of Shultz, as good as he was...

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Extended at what?
That’s a great question.
I would do a different prospect, which probably works out anyway, because Ottawa already has Sanderson, Chabot, Kleven and Brannstrom at LD.
I saw that too. I just think it’s about time we start trading LD prospects for players that will actually impact the roster.

Jonas brodin
Spurgeon

Brodin-Faber
Chychrun-Spurgeon
Middleton-Bogosian

Don’t re-sign Middleton.

Joseph Nathan

Feb 11, 2022
That’s a great question.

I saw that too. I just think it’s about time we start trading LD prospects for players that will actually impact the roster.

Brodin-Faber
Chychrun-Spurgeon
Middleton-Bogosian

Don’t re-sign Middleton.
Russo has already basically on last podcast said the extension will be announced on July 1st as 4 by 4 with him. Basically it’s happening

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad