Minnesota Wild General Discussion - 2023-24

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Assistant coaches (except the goalie coach) don't phase me much. I mean Darby was here for years and nobody on here was sure what his job really was, other than be DE's punching bag during games.

The head coach is the one that sets the team systems. The players abilities also dictate the type of defense that is played. Meaning Brodin and Spurgeon aren't going to turn into wrecking balls that are hitting the other team into the 3rd row no matter who the coach is.

I mean Bob Woods was pretty bad. Let's not lie about that.

I get that assistant coaches don't do much, but bad assistant coaches can wreck new players pretty fast.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I mean Bob Woods was pretty bad. Let's not lie about that.

I get that assistant coaches don't do much, but bad assistant coaches can wreck new players pretty fast.

TBH I'm drawing a blank on players assistant coaches have wrecked (outside of sandals).

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
TBH I'm drawing a blank on players assistant coaches have wrecked (outside of sandals).
As fans, we contribute players not adapting to the team or developing due to the coach when it's the assistant coaches that handles those sort of things.

More so, running the PP and PK - which hasn't been great.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
As fans, we contribute players not adapting to the team or developing due to the coach when it's the assistant coaches that handles those sort of things.

More so, running the PP and PK - which hasn't been great.

The special teams (and goalie) coaching complaints I understand.

I think most of the issues with coaches and young players are communication based. Things getting lost in translation (generational, terminology, and language), not understanding each other, complete lack of communication, and things like that.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The special teams (and goalie) coaching complaints I understand.

I think most of the issues with coaches and young players are communication based. Things getting lost in translation (generational, terminology, and language), not understanding each other, complete lack of communication, and things like that.

I don't think it's just coaches and young players; it's the coaches and players in general. When a player is brought in and they don't seem to click, it can be on the assistant coach why they failed. It's like a business where regional management gets blamed for something a store manager did.

From my understanding, coaches come up with the system, assistant coaches are the ones that execute it.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I heard from Carolina fans that they are after right handed centers and/or a bottom pair LD. #13+Middleton

I don;t see Middleton having much value overall.

I also don't see MN trading Middleton as long as Spurgeon is on the team. Spurgeon needs than big, stay at home d-man as his partner to really be effective. Middleton is the only one of those on the team. Not counting Merrill for this because he shouldn't be more than the 7D.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I don;t see Middleton having much value overall.

I also don't see MN trading Middleton as long as Spurgeon is on the team. Spurgeon needs than big, stay at home d-man as his partner to really be effective. Middleton is the only one of those on the team. Not counting Merrill for this because he shouldn't be more than the 7D.
What exactly do you think other teams are offering for Necas? Give me some sort measuring stick to beat.

I can’t wait till Spurgeon is gone.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
What exactly do you think other teams are offering for Necas? Give me some sort measuring stick to beat.

I can’t wait till Spurgeon is gone.

My opinion is that CAR is looking for more "win now" trade than a future trade (13oa). MN just isn't a good trade partner for them. MNs best (realistic) trade chips just don't fit their needs.

Rossi and a 2nd for Necas?

CAR has Aho, Staal, Kotkaniemi, Kuznetosv, Jarvis, and Drury (along with Necas) signed or RFAs going into next season.

Rossi doesn't fit any need for them at center and other than being a cheap contract doesn't do much for them as a winger. He falls into the same boat as Necas has been in the last couple of seasons in CAR.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
My opinion is that CAR is looking for more "win now" trade than a future trade (13oa). MN just isn't a good trade partner for them. MNs best (realistic) trade chips just don't fit their needs.

CAR has Aho, Staal, Kotkaniemi, Kuznetosv, Jarvis, and Drury (along with Necas) signed or RFAs going into next season.

Rossi doesn't fit any need for them at center and other than being a cheap contract doesn't do much for them as a winger. He falls into the same boat as Necas has been in the last couple of seasons in CAR.
So what win now piece from another team gets them to pull the trigger?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Maybe Gus? I don't know much about their goalie situation.

Possibly Middleton + Gus and a 1st?
I don't see Gus being a solution in net for a team with Cup aspirations. CAR would want someone back who is as good as Necas...their window is now.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Yep. Add Foligno and Zucc's $8M total to the ~$6M in space we currently have, and it's a different ballgame this summer. Though admittedly I wasn't completely off-board with bringing Zucc back at $4M.
Don’t worry, we are gonna lock Middleton in at 4x4 with a full NMC. We’ve already spent the $14.7M in dead cap and it’s not even off the books.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Yep. Add Foligno and Zucc's $8M total to the ~$6M in space we currently have, and it's a different ballgame this summer. Though admittedly I wasn't completely off-board with bringing Zucc back at $4M.
The thing is, we would have had to replace those roster spots with UFAs or I guess trades using pure futures. We are already expected to have two rookies in the top 9 with Ohgren and Khusnutdinov, relying on anymore would be foolish if you are trying to compete.

Zucc and Foligno contracts are likely to be significantly better values to us than having to outbid 31 other teams on UFAs that may not be fits or interested in a team that just missed the playoffs and still has cap limitations. Both have a skill set that Guerin seems to value highly, if we didn’t re-sign them, we would likely be looking at only worse players for more money in their roles. Just have to hope they each stay healthy for once.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The thing is, we would have had to replace those roster spots with UFAs or I guess trades using pure futures. We are already expected to have two rookies in the top 9 with Ohgren and Khusnutdinov, relying on anymore would be foolish if you are trying to compete.

Zucc and Foligno contracts are likely to be significantly better values to us than having to outbid 31 other teams on UFAs that may not be fits or interested in a team that just missed the playoffs and still has cap limitations. Both have a skill set that Guerin seems to value highly, if we didn’t re-sign them, we would likely be looking at only worse players for more money in their roles. Just have to hope they each stay healthy for once.
You can use this justification to re-sign every pending UFA ever. How do UFA's ever make it to market?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad