Minnesota Wild General Discussion - 2023-24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The North Star actually does change over long time frames due to earths wobble, Polaris is the current star used but Vega was previously the North Star and will be again in the future (if the planet is still around.)

Whew. Thought I was going to go through the whole day without learning something new. :phew:

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't know if the kelly green and yellow really fit with the Wild brand/logo.

I can't think of another two teams across the major pro sports leagues that would really be as close in name and branding as the North Stars and the Stars, if they were to rebrand back to the North Stars (and I would like if they did). Maybe the Red Sox and White Sox but that's slightly different. Maybe Dallas can rebrand to the South Stars? Or the Lone Stars?
CFL used to have the Rough Riders, and Roughriders.

Speaking of names, how come it isn't the Maple Leaves?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Unlike franchises like the Winnipeg Jets, Cleveland Browns, etc.

If I remember correctly, the Coyotes were owned by the NHL, so they could do what they wanted. As for the Browns, there was an agreement between the Ravens and the NFL about the use of the Browns name. You have the Houston Oilers, LA Lakers, Utah Jazz...

Keeping in line with just about every other pro franchise at the time. I don't believe there was a team name in the singular before the Avalanche or Lightning, I'm guessing.

EDIT: Forgot about New Orleans/Utah Jazz.

Miami Heat, Orlando Magic as well.

Puhis

Will accept caffeine.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
CFL used to have the Rough Riders, and Roughriders.

Speaking of names, how come it isn't the Maple Leaves?

From a recent article by The Athletic:

In 2017, the Washington Post sought to clarify the grammatical conundrum by reaching out to J.K. Chambers, a linguistic professor at the University of Toronto.

"It follows the simple rule that nouns used as proper nouns take regular (productive) plurals even if their common noun counterparts have irregular plurals," Chambers told the newspaper.

Chambers provided another example to the Washington Post, writing "A stack of Life Magazine editions would be a stack of "Lifes" (regular plural) instead of "Lives" (irregular plural)."

Reactions: 57special

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

The Carolina Hurricanes have heard from nearly every team in the league on forward Martin Necas and, from the sound of it, have narrowed the market to five to seven potential matches.

That doesn’t necessarily mean things will end up in a trade. The Hurricanes, with interim GM Eric Tulsky leading the conversations, have set a high price on what they feel is a star-caliber player.

I don’t believe those five to seven teams have yet to produce an offer that would get it done, but the Canes will keep working on it because they also don’t feel there’s a time crunch on any of this.

The Winnipeg Jets, Chicago Blackhawks, Montreal Canadiens, Calgary Flames and Boston Bruins are among the teams who have shown general interest. Whether they are among the five to seven Carolina sees as matches, I’m not sure.

At the end of the day, if Carolina can’t bring a team to the threshold it needs to move the 25-year-old Czech forward, so be it. The Canes have told teams they are ready to keep him.

In that scenario, what will be interesting to see is how Necas, a restricted free agent July 1, reacts if he’s not moved. It is beyond a doubt he wants a change of scenery.

Wonder if Guerin is in on Necas and made a serious offer.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
The North Star actually does change over long time frames due to earths wobble, Polaris is the current star used but Vega was previously the North Star and will be again in the future (if the planet is still around.)
I just wish they would have integrated that "N" into the new name some how so at least maybe we could bring back the "N" with star back.

Our "N" jerseys were top-3 all-time best hockey jerseys ever, but I am biased. Not even necessarily the colors, but for sure the 'N' Star I feel like belongs to us

Reactions: MuckOG

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I just wish they would have integrated that "N" into the new name some how so at least maybe we could bring back the "N" with star back.

Our "N" jerseys were top-3 all-time best hockey jerseys ever, but I am biased. Not even necessarily the colors, but for sure the 'N' Star I feel like belongs to us
The Minnesota Nords? Nordics? Too close to Nordiques? Yeah.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I know it won't happen but if I slammed Byram, Peterka and 11th overall 2024 on the table for Eriksson-Ek would that be enough for a "I need to think about it"?

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Russo's podcast from last night said to expect a July 1st extension for Middleton at 4 years and 4-4.3 million dollars per year. He didn't seem to think a NTC/NMC was involved but who knows.

Also said he expects the Faber extension to start with a 9.

And, lastly, thinks the Wild are very open to trading down at the draft.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
I know it won't happen but if I slammed Byram, Peterka and 11th overall 2024 on the table for Eriksson-Ek would that be enough for a "I need to think about it"?
Nope. He's untouchable. The only player in the world would be McKinnon, straight trade.

Reactions: HaNotsri

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Russo's podcast from last night said to expect a July 1st extension for Middleton at 4 years and 4-4.3 million dollars per year. He didn't seem to think a NTC/NMC was involved but who knows.

Also said he expects the Faber extension to start with a 9.

And, lastly, thinks the Wild are very open to trading down at the draft.
I'm pretty cool with all 3 of those, though I was hoping for a little hometown discount in Faber's case. Either way, hoping for closer to $9M than $10M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad