Minnesota Wild General Discussion - 2023-24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
So Dom considers Zuccarello a first-liner, not surprised there. So we'll have a competition between Zucc and Boldy, and you know what? That's great!
The model considers Zucc a 1st liner and Boldy a franchise level wing. The gap is clear there and widening by the day as one player enters his prime while another is pushing 40

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
The model considers Zucc a 1st liner and Boldy a franchise level wing. The gap is clear there and widening by the day as one player enters his prime while another is pushing 40
Yeah, I don't consider Dom's model to be the end-all-be-all, but if Webster wants to use it as a way to prop Zuccarello up, he'll need to be consistent enough to see why it's not a competition.

That said, NHL teams don't load up lines with the best players in order all the way down to the worst players as though they're playing EA NHL, so it's entirely possible Hynes splits Boldy and Kaprizov up for some time this season.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Yeah, I don't consider Dom's model to be the end-all-be-all, but if Webster wants to use it as a way to prop Zuccarello up, he'll need to be consistent enough to see why it's not a competition.

That said, NHL teams don't load up lines with the best players in order all the way down to the worst players as though they're playing EA NHL, so it's entirely possible Hynes splits Boldy and Kaprizov up for some time this season.
I’m fine with that. I’d just prefer we don’t put Kap & Zucc together. They aren’t good together 5v5 and end up playing a soft and predictable style. Zucc needs to learn to contribute 5v5 away from his other buddy. It’s the biggest roadblock we have to fielding 3 lines that can score.

Reactions: NHL1674

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I don't even want Zucc on the top line, he's supposed to last another two years. But if Boldy engages invisible mode Zucc's there to take his spot, Hynes swapped them a couple of times last season. And this competition is good for the team.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Russo confirmed Mermis is not coming back, good news for me as I was not a fan. And some Athletic articles dropped today on the draft as well as the league wide Winger rankings. A bit surprising, but the Wild, at the moment, have the top rated Wing group on the backs of Kap and Boldy who are each considered Franchise wings in Dom’s model. It should be noted that Hartman was considered a Wing for their analysis, and unsigned players were excluded which hurt a lot of the actual top teams.

I liked Mermis in the AHL, and didn't see much difference between him and Merrill in the NHL, but that is probably damning him with faint praise. He's actually fairly tough, and would keep the AHL goons off the backs of the younger players when he was in iowa. Now guys like ROR( i would've said Beckman, but...) will have to fend for themselves. It's time for ROR to show some teeth, he's 22 yo, and should be close to filled out.

Space cleared for Spacek, Masters, Peart. I am pretty sure that they will sign at least one bigger, tough dman. AHL isn't as tough as it used to be, but still can get ornery. Refs let a lot go.

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Mermis being gone opens up more spots for young D in Iowa. I like open spots for young D in Iowa.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Just pointing out that he wasn't in Iowa last year to "block" anyone.

For league min I'd be fine with him as the pressbox d-man.

Okay, where do you think he would have played this season, if we're not assuming we're playing shorthanded on defense all season again?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
And even if we are injured again, now the first call up is young D from Iowa, not Mermis. I like the first call up being a young D from Iowa, not Mermis.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Okay, where do you think he would have played this season, if we're not assuming we're playing shorthanded on defense all season again?

Pressbox in the NHL. I'm also fine if he's in Iowa. I'd rather see some competent d-man on the AHL team. They kids by themselves was a flustertruck last year.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Pressbox in the NHL. I'm also fine if he's in Iowa. I'd rather see some competent d-man on the AHL team. They kids by themselves was a flustertruck last year.
Dakota Mermis was not competent though, he was exh A on flustertrucks and how not to trust in your teammates.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Dakota Mermis was not competent though, he was exh A on flustertrucks and how not to trust in your teammates.

That why I said a league min contract. He's good enough to fill in in an emergency and cheap enough not to matter for the cap. It's better than paying Goli $2m to sit in the pressbox like last year.
I have 0 faith in any of the Iowa kids after last season. Merrill is, well himself. Chisholm didn't impress me either.

I don't see GMBG going out an signing an actual top-4 LD that would push Middleton down to the 3LD spot.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I had more issues with Merrill tbh.
Both had no business on NHL ice last year, Merrill at least has the excuse of being competent at one point in his career. Think that WC injury killed his mobility and he hasn’t been able to adjust his game, or he is just toast.

Mermis showed little understanding of the Wild system, routinely leaving his coverage area to try and make low percentage plays. Taking bad angles, overcompensating when a teammate was in a puck battle and just generally not being in the right position at all were my main gripes with Mermis and a lot of it was very basic responsibility stuff that a player of his age should not be having issues with.

Reactions: Sweetnut

Mookie Blaylock

The in between is mine
Apr 16, 2014
Porch
Russo was on with Barriero about an hour ago, talked mostly about game 7. At the end said the Jets want Iginla and 13 would be in play for McGroarty if he's on the board.

Reactions: StateofCelly

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

I just don't know

Why didn't they just take him for Gauthier?

At this point, I'm lukewarm at best on anything else PHI has for Rossi. They have good pieces, I'm not suggesting they couldn't offer value in return, but Konecny is a UFA that needs to get paid, and a winger. Tippett just got signed, and I'm not sure I want to take on that contract, also a winger. Farabee is a hard pass for me, also a winger. I'd rather just keep Rossi than exchange him for anyone like Frost or Foerster or York.

Russo was on with Barriero about an hour ago, talked mostly about game 7. At the end said the Jets want Iginla and 13 would be in play for McGroarty if he's on the board.

So 13 for McGroarty if Iginla is available, but if Iginla is available I might just prefer taking him. The idea behind trading 13 for McGroarty, for me, is that guys like Iginla won't be available to the Wild.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Better not be for anybody but Konecny, but I could see #12 of a taller forward is there.
I would do 12 for Rossi but I also wouldn’t feel amazing about it

I just don't know

Why didn't they just take him for Gauthier?

At this point, I'm lukewarm at best on anything else PHI has for Rossi. They have good pieces, I'm not suggesting they couldn't offer value in return, but Konecny is a UFA that needs to get paid, and a winger. Tippett just got signed, and I'm not sure I want to take on that contract, also a winger. Farabee is a hard pass for me, also a winger. I'd rather just keep Rossi than exchange him for anyone like Frost or Foerster or York.

So 13 for McGroarty if Iginla is available, but if Iginla is available I might just prefer taking him. The idea behind trading 13 for McGroarty, for me, is that guys like Iginla won't be available to the Wild.
Was that actually offered?

McGroarty and Iginla are close for me but would be way more fun to have a guy in the NHL next year

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

McGroarty and Iginla are close for me but would be way more fun to have a guy in the NHL next year

I just assume it was because of Russo's reports

Rossi for 12 is kinda gross, unless we're also getting a 2nd or better. Still a little gross though.

I wonder if some kinda three way could happen with 12 going to Winnipeg, Rossi going to Philly, McGroarty coming here

But also if that's the case I'd still just rather trade 13+ for McGroarty and keep Rossi

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If Guerin can get McGroarty for the 1st and doesn't trade Rossi by July 1st, I will refrain from criticizing him for one fiscal month (unless he trades Rossi during that month, I reserve the right to change my mind)

Reactions: Digitalbooya
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad