Minnesota Wild General Discussion - 2023-24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
The smarter thing would be to wait until cap hell is over, then use Rossi as a deal sealer in a trade for a bigger fish. Throw in some picks and a AHL D plus Freddy, who could say no?

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
The smarter thing would be to wait until cap hell is over, then use Rossi as a deal sealer in a trade for a bigger fish. Throw in some picks and a AHL D plus Freddy, who could say no?
Cap hell could even be over by the mid point of this season if they build cap space. Once you have $14MM in accrued cap space this season, you can spend it as you please. Package Gus and Rossi together then if you feel the need and go big deer hunting IMO.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don’t get why Boldy isn’t a trade candidate.

Boldy is signed for long term. There aren't any trades that make sense for him.
-Any upgrade to his spot and MN would be adding and it would be a relatively minor upgrade probably with a lot less term.
-The roster is already set with unmovable players/contracts. So trading him for a package deal of stuff and there isn't room in the lineup.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
It's a just an offseason filler article trying to get something interesting out of a very uninteresting team. MN only has 2 somewhat reasonable trade candidates (Rossi and Gus), not a lot of cap space to go shopping for FA, a meh draft pick, and the rest of the roster is untradeable.

Russo is too afraid to write anything negative or ask the hard questions about the Wild. This should be an offseason where those things happen. He's more of a fanboy/media personality than news guy now; which is sad because he was a good news guy.
Kind of funny, because he actually made his name in Minnesota by asking those questions, like when he went off about Risebrough, before Riser was actually canned. It feels like Fenton put the fear into Russo. Now he's just taking potshots at Guerin's NTC/NMC's, and calling it a day.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I'd say players and management don't like Russo. He's constantly been trash talking players who had a bad game, setting fans up against them. For all we know, maybe he's received a warning and has been told to show some respect. Russo has a few things to learn from his partner Joe Smith, who's been a much better reporter in the way he writes his articles.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Kind of funny, because he actually made his name in Minnesota by asking those questions, like when he went off about Risebrough, before Riser was actually canned. It feels like Fenton put the fear into Russo. Now he's just taking potshots at Guerin's NTC/NMC's, and calling it a day.

Actually I think it's just his job that's changed and he's adapted. His gig now is a talking head/fanboy for the team, not a print reporter. He needs to be fluffy to keep his podcast type of stuff going.

I do think the team "leaks" things for him talk about to see what the fanbase reaction.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I'd say players and management don't like Russo. He's constantly been trash talking players who had a bad game, setting fans up against them. For all we know, maybe he's received a warning and has been told to show some respect. Russo has a few things to learn from his partner Joe Smith, who's been a much better reporter in the way he writes his articles.
Joe Smith is fine, better than average even. Russo was really great for most of his tenure with the Star Tribune, but Wabit is right that his writing and role have changed since he joined the Athletic.

If I had to pick one to write a definitive article about the State of the Wild, and both knew there would be no repercussions for what they wrote in it, I'd pick Russo to write the better article, hands down. Sadly, that's not what either of them are for at this point, so instead we get to read fluff and clickbait.

I think management and players like Russo as much as they like any media person. Nobody likes having their work scrutinized in the media, but if it's not Russo it'll be someone else, so they tolerate it.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don’t get why Boldy isn’t a trade candidate.
Because he is a young, talented player who is likely to get even better, and will have a nice contract going forward? Why would we want to get rid of him?

That's the exact opposite of what others are saying on here, but ok.

Reactions: Sota Popinski

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Because he is a young, talented player who is likely to get even better, and will have a nice contract going forward? Why would we want to get rid of him?

That's the exact opposite of what others are saying on here, but ok.
No kidding! Why the hell would we want to move Boldy?

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Actually I think it's just his job that's changed and he's adapted. His gig now is a talking head/fanboy for the team, not a print reporter. He needs to be fluffy to keep his podcast type of stuff going.

I do think the team "leaks" things for him talk about to see what the fanbase reaction.
I agree 100%. I miss STrib Russo

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
No kidding! Why the hell would we want to move Boldy?
Because he could be used to get someone better than him?

Look at how Bill Zito built Florida. Traded Huberdeau+Weegar+ for Tkachuk. 2nd+prospect for Bennett. Levi+1st for Reinhart.

The answer is obvious if you look at the Tkachuk trade. When a golden opportunity presents itself, don’t be afraid to make a trade because you’re attached to a player.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Look at how Bill Zito built Florida. Traded Huberdeau+Weegar+ for Tkachuk. 2nd+prospect for Bennett. Levi+1st for Reinhart.

The answer is obvious if you look at the Tkachuk trade. When a golden opportunity presents itself, don’t be afraid to make a trade because you’re attached to a player.
HUberdeau was out of contract, not signed a to a sweetheart deal like Boldy. Also, what golden opportunity? Guerin has to be very careful not to bandy Boldy's name around in spurious trade talks or we'll be the the team have to trade off one of our best young players for less than market value because he is disgruntled.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Who is this team going to sign in FA? Noe going to list exact lines, more of just a general depth chart

Kaprizov-Ek-Boldy
Zuccarello-Rossi-xxx
Foligno-Hartman-Johansson
Ohgren-Khusnutdinov-Gaudreau
Heidt

Seems like we need a 2nd line wing. Russo has said Perron. Mentions it’s gonna be a 1 year, maybe 2 year deal. The plan is obviously to get back to being a ~100 point team with better health to convince Kaprizov that this team with an extra 15M in cap space is worth staying and playing with.

Kane is a dream scenario. I like the idea of Tarasenko but he probably gets term and is looking for a contender. Don’t see many good options that are realistic, maybe it forces Guerin to look more in the trade market.

Last edited:

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Who is this team going to sign in FA? Noe going to list exact lines, more of just a general depth chart

Kaprizov-Ek-Boldy
Zuccarello-Rossi-xxx
Foligno-Hartman-Johansson
Ohgren-Khusnutdinov-Gaudreau
Heidt

Seems like we need a 2nd line wing. Russo has said Perron. Mentions it’s gonna be a 1 year, maybe 2 year deal. The plan is obviously to get back to being a ~100 point team with better health to convince Kaprizov that this team with an extra 15M in cap space is worth staying and playing with.

Kane is a dream scenario. I like the idea of Tarasenko but he probably gets term and is looking for a contender. Don’t see many good options that are realistic, maybe it forces Guerin to look more in the trade market.
Personally, I’m a big fan of targeting Farabee in a trade.

Very strong ES production & is locked up on a great contract for 4 more years. Low risk, medium reward kind of player imo.

He’s someone I’d consider moving #13 for.

Really would hate signing someone like Perron on a 2-year deal. If you’re going to sign a 36-year old rental, then it better be a 1-year deal so you have full flexibility the following offseason. Be nice if they didn’t have half the team locked up on NMCs…

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

So could Kaprizov, Eriksson Ek and Faber, in theory.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

MN/Boldy would be CGY/BUF, not FLA in these trades.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Kaprizov-Ek-Boldy
Zuccarello-Rossi-MBN

Fixed with the lowest cap hit. MBN is the sniper they need there, and he's NHL ready. Hope he's available for the Wild, maybe not if he's ranked 5th.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Kaprizov-Ek-Boldy
Zuccarello-Rossi-MBN

Fixed with the lowest cap hit. MBN is the sniper they need there, and he's NHL ready. Hope he's available for the Wild, maybe not if he's ranked 5th.
That Norwegian line would get absolutely lit up. Rossi should demand a trade if that happens

Reactions: Sweetnut

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

Like Caufield?

The thing is that Guerin isn't Zito. Also Bennett and Reinhart were on there way out of the organizations or had failed respectively with their team. Honestly Middlestadt would have been in the same vein as Reinhart or Bennett. But Florida had Knight AND Bob so they could afford to move Levi. Bennett was an anchor in Calgary .

I'd say the equivalent is trading Eriksson-Ek for Tkachuk if Ek didn't have a contract. Maybe we could trade Yurov (equivalent of Levi) and a 1st for Necas?

Tkachuk would cost a lot. Rossi + Middleton +1st

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Bertuzzi, Arvidsson, Kane, Tarasenko, Perron, Domi, Teuravainen are other FA options. Maybe Guentzel if we clear a couple extra million in cap and he wants to return home. But don’t see that happening

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Better hustle up then.
I don’t see a player better than Kaprizov available. So you’ve already failed the assignment.

Like Caufield?

The thing is that Guerin isn't Zito. Also Bennett and Reinhart were on there way out of the organizations or had failed respectively with their team. Honestly Middlestadt would have been in the same vein as Reinhart or Bennett. But Florida had Knight AND Bob so they could afford to move Levi. Bennett was an anchor in Calgary .

I'd say the equivalent is trading Eriksson-Ek for Tkachuk if Ek didn't have a contract. Maybe we could trade Yurov (equivalent of Levi) and a 1st for Necas?

Tkachuk would cost a lot. Rossi + Middleton +1st
Yeeesh. Your evaluations are all over the place. I don’t even know how to respond to this.

Regarding Caufield, don’t try to put words in my mouth I didn’t say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad