Minimum price to trade Mike Matheson near the deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Minimum price to trade Mike Matheson near the deadline (pick closest answer)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Mike Matheson has two years left after this one payng 4.875 million/year. He is a 6'2, 29 year-old Montreal native, he had 34 points in 48 games last year, and has 6 points in 8 games this year.

I vote for "Don't trade Matheson, he's good and young and worth keeping as a top-4 D, at least for now," but I'm curious what others think.
Of course no salary retention when the guy is already a great bargain!

The problem with this poll is that the 'great value return' option is not great value.

If want to entertain trading Matheson prior to his final year, it has to be for a sure-fire core player, not magic beans, in my view. Otherwise, we are going backwards.

Reactions: HabsQC

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Top line potential prospect, like a Cutter Gauthier, Knies or Kulich, if not just hold on to him a bit more.

Last edited:

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
First, the Mesar example doesnt work because hes a bust. Why not use Hutson? Why not Roy? Heck, why not Kulich? Should we have held on 29 YO patches? Who needs Suzuki, hes probably a bust like Jake Bean was the year before, right?

And I said Id trade him for a prospect or a younger player, rather than a pick.

The problem with the Suzuki example you just gave us, is exactly why I want to trade Matheson, and why we should trade Suzuki if the team isnt close to competiting in the near future when he is thirty.

Its only a service to fans to keep around such players.
Probability ...the exemple of Mesar is more representative because the % of draftees that will play more than 100 games in the NHL is very low. Then the % of the players that will have the kind of impact Matheson gets, is even lower. In the end, it is more representative to use ac Mesar ( 85 %) instead of a name in the 15 %.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Who comes to mind as an Iginla in the making? There cannot be very many of those, especially who are not signed long-term. High skill, high toughness.

An alternate scenario is a budding star, like Pettersson, whom the team knows it cannot keep, dealing from a weak position, where we give Matheson + one of our lesser centers in exchange.
Matheson + late 1stround pick + early 2nd round pick + Beck for Pettersson.

Would that be such a trade proposal? Or, did you mean Dvorak?

How much would Pettersson cost to re-sign, something required for this trade to go through?

10M? 11M? 12M? 7 years? 8 years sign and trade?

Caufield - Pettersson - Dach
Newhook - Suzuki - Roy
RHP- Monahan (extended) - Anderson
Heineman - Evans - Ylonen
Gallagher

Guhle - Mailloux
Harris - Barron
Xhekaj - Kovacevic
Savard

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Matheson + late 1stround pick + early 2nd round pick + Beck for Pettersson.

Would that be such a trade proposal? Or, did you mean Dvorak?

How much would Pettersson cost to re-sign, something required for this trade to go through?

10M? 11M? 12M? 7 years? 8 years sign and trade?

Caufield - Pettersson - Dach
Newhook - Suzuki - Roy
RHP- Monahan (extended) - Anderson
Heineman - Evans - Ylonen
Gallagher

Guhle - Mailloux
Harris - Barron
Xhekaj - Kovacevic
Savard
I didn't work out the details, but I wouldn't improve on what you have.

He is certainly worth 10 or more. The tricky part is the chemistry of the team, with Caufield and Suzuki signed for a lot less. I would still gamble on that though. He is a star... who wants to leave and who has a decade left of top-level play. The team that you have put together is very competitive, especially if one of the goalie prospects pans out. Imagine the PP with both him and Caufield who can laser it into the top corner (not to mention Mailloux), and Hutson able to get the puck to any of them.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
At this point Id take a 5th rounder just so that Marty stops using him 25 minutes a game and starts using Guhle like the 1D he is.

Completely utterly R-rated word.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
At this point Id take a 5th rounder just so that Marty stops using him 25 minutes a game and starts using Guhle like the 1D he is.

Completely utterly R-rated word.

dead horse.jpg

i think we all know your position about Matheson and Guhle .

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
View attachment 760814

i think we all know your position about Matheson and Guhle .
What a poll this is! You have those who want to dump Matheson for a 5th rounder voting TRADE, while those who want to use him to fetch Elias Pettersson are also willing to pull the trade trigger.

Well personally, I can't do it. Sure I would move him for Pettersson, but I can't vote yes and encourage those who devalue Matheson. Sorry.

Reactions: ZUKI

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I am definitely more into trading him than Monahan. Not anytime soon.

You don’t want to let him go for nothing and if he keeps this up he’d wanna big pay day. he’s on the wrong side of his career at that point for me to want us to give him that.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
i won't trade matheson as well. guhle is our future but he still needs to prove himself first, production-wise. no reason to give him all the responsibilities. he'll get there one day.
Imagine they trade him at some point. Not sure if this year or not. Habs stacked on left D. Unless they get blown away

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Man, I really like Matheson, but there are very few untradeable players in the league.

I would trade him if the price blew my socks off.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Man, I really like Matheson, but there are very few untradeable players in the league.

I would trade him if the price blew my socks off.
The price doesnt have to blow your socks off, it could be just fair value and it would set up the Habs good for the future.

We could have a similar player to Barron+ for him again. The player would probably statt having an impact this year or next.

What a poll this is! You have those who want to dump Matheson for a 5th rounder voting TRADE, while those who want to use him to fetch Elias Pettersson are also willing to pull the trade trigger.

Well personally, I can't do it. Sure I would move him for Pettersson, but I can't vote yes and encourage those who devalue Matheson. Sorry.
You reading the post I just made and acting like I really said we should trade him for a 5th is so HF.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The price doesnt have to blow your socks off, it could be just fair value and it would set up the Habs good for the future.

We could have a similar player to Barron+ for him again. The player would probably statt having an impact this year or next.

You reading the post I just made and acting like I really said we should trade him for a 5th is so HF.
Yeah you might have been exaggerating. I get it. I do it too at times!

But we clearly don't value him the same, you and I, and that's ok. You probably voted trade and I voted keep. C'est la vie.

Last edited:

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
They're not doing the middle ground. They are trying to build for Suzuki/Caufield window. They aren't starting completely over, nor should you when you have young lynchpins like that.
For some folks here being the worst team in the league forever IS the goal.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
Why is it every time we pick up a good player over age 26 people just want to trade him away for a draft choice? Hello people….most draft picks don’t even make it to the big show.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I want him playing on this team until he slows down.
Larry Robinson and Guy Lapointe took chances too. So did Subban in his best years. As long as the player shows the willingness and the legs to fix the mistakes, the overall result from attempting to drive offense rather than play safe is net positive.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011

Early or late 5th?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad