Minimum price to trade Mike Matheson near the deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Minimum price to trade Mike Matheson near the deadline (pick closest answer)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
I agree there is strong depth in the system, but you need to transition that depth into NHL players with experience. That takes time and leadership is needed on the ice. I feel Matheson is a good fit for that role. I'm not opposed to trading him down the road, but I feel this season is to soon.

Jack Skellington

Sep 29, 2017
Matheson could also be an Alzner. Maybe he gets injured and hes worth nothing next year.

Thats a dumb way to think.
So the smart way to think is to trade one of our best players who's just entered his prime because "maybe he gets injured"? He could be an Alzner????? :laugh:

As I clearly said, if someone wants to overpay you do it.

• Haha
Reactions: dgeezus and ZUKI

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
So the smart way to think is to trade one of our best players who's just entered his prime because "maybe he gets injured"? He could be an Alzner????? :laugh:

No, the smart option is to consider every direction.

If you choose to move on from him because his value is at an all time high, you dont start from the assumption that what theyre getting is a "Mesar".

I used the ridiculous example to show you that the statement you made was ridiculous.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I wouldn't be LOOKING to trade him, but if a contender offers a 20-22 years young future first liner, you have to do it. We're good at D.

Or a Devon Levi caliber goalie.

Yeah, I think this is the right approach. Time is on the Habs side in this case bacuse he does still have time left on his deal.

Before his term is up, the hope would be that this defensive pipeline would have made him expendable.

Matheson is the bridge for that pipeline, and his work here is not yet done.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yeah, I think this is the right approach. Time is on the Habs side in this case bacuse he does still have time left on his deal.

Before his term is up, the hope would be that this defensive pipeline would have made him expendable.

Matheson is the bridge for that pipeline, and his work here is not yet done.
A very expensive bridge if thats what he is.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
A very expensive bridge if thats what he is.

I don't look at it that way.

I think there's actually value in his deal for what he brings, and that his value has actually been appreciating since he got here.

In the meantime before the Habs cash in on this chip, he can help with some of the burden of top minutes on this very inexperienced defense... A burden not every prospect is immediately ready for.

Expensive will be a guy like Gallagher who actually eats more space, and brings relatively little at this point. Expensive is a guy that probably nobody in the league wants to trade for even if they don't have have to give anything in return. Matheson does not tick these boxes.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't look at it that way.

I think there's actually value in his deal for what he brings, and that his value has actually been appreciating since he got here.

In the meantime before the Habs cash in on this chip, he can help with some of the burden of top minutes on this very inexperienced defense... A burden not every prospect is immediately ready for.

Expensive will be a guy like Gallagher who actually eats more space, and brings relatively little at this point. Expensive is a guy that probably nobody in the league wants to trade for even if they don't have have to give anything in return. Matheson does not tick these boxes.
Youre thinking of salary. Im talking as an asset. Keeping him means were more or less giving up on a 1st+2nd+3rd package. Thats very expensive as a bridge player.

Useless spending if you ask me, especially considering Guhle and Xehkaj are LDs. They can handle top 4 minutes.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Youre thinking of salary. Im talking as an asset. Keeping him means were more or less giving up on a 1st+2nd+3rd package. Thats very expensive as a bridge player.

Useless spending if you ask me, especially considering Guhle and Xehkaj are LDs. They can handle top 4 minutes.

No, I'm taking a holistic view. As, mentioned in my post, he's been an appreciating asset for Montreal since they got him, meaning that teams are probably willing to give up more for him now than when the habs acquired him. Salary is just part of it (which I also think is not an expensive deal for what he brings).

Don't get me wrong though, if there is a team out there that's going to knock your socks off, you have to listen, but that applies to every case, and only happens rarely, and I'm assuming it doesn't happen.

But for argument's sake, those two guys you mentioned have less than 110 games combined under their belt. There remains a spot for matheson in this lineup for now.

Reactions: Runner77

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
No, I'm taking a holistic view. As, mentioned in my post, he's been an appreciating asset for Montreal since they got him, meaning that teams are probably willing to give up more for him now than when the habs acquired him. Salary is just part of it (which I also think is not an expensive deal for what he brings).

Don't get me wrong though, if there is a team out there that's going to knock your socks off, you have to listen, but that applies to every case, and only happens rarely, and I'm assuming it doesn't happen.

But for argument's sake, those two guys you mentioned have less than 110 games combined under their belt. There remains a spot for matheson in this lineup for now.
Of course theres a spot for him. Im arguing he's too expensive to be what he is. Theres no need to spend such assets on a guy like him when were rebuilding.

By all means, trade a 3rd for an actual stop gap like Edmundson or Savard before they were useless. Dont spend prime assets for a stop gap.

I don’t see Matheson having less value next season so I see no reason to trade him unless it really a deal that you can’t refuse.
We said the same thing about Anderson, Gallagher, Petry, etc.

Prime your assets for your winning window. Fans are incredibly impatient, keeping Matheson is the opposite of patience.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Give me a 1st and I'll do it. He's a pretty good player and worthwhile to have around, but if you can land a 1st rounder, you do it.

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
Matheson’s most natural trade window appears to be in 2025-2026: not only it’s his final contract year, but by then most young LHDs’ NHL upsides should have be assessed and the Habs should thus know if they can build a sustainable brigade without Matheson with 3-4 Ds amongst: Guhle, Harris, Xhekaj, Hutson, Engstrom, Struble, Trudeau, etc.

This being said, if a team wants to go all in on Matheson before then, the Habs should lend an ear if the package is substantial - involve a G1-caliber prospect + 1st round pick for instance.

Reactions: HabsQC

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I voted to trade him but it has to be for a legit prospect in return. A pick is required as well, but I don’t want scraps for a prospect. Has to be somebody in the 20-22 year old range ready to crack the NHL.

Otherwise, I’d prefer to keep him another season but I don’t expect him traded this season anyways.

KFlint

Sep 27, 2010
If option B is a middle/late first and a good prospect, the answer is a hard no. I keep him. We will need to package picks and players to fetch an elite offensive player (and a goalie I guess) at some point though. We have quantity, we need quality.

Don D

Oct 15, 2017

There is a chasm between Matheson and Alzner!! Alzner was more like a Savard, shot blocking, stay home type. Not half as mobile as Matheson.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I don't see anyone in our pool who replaces his skillset except Hutson. Let's see if Hutson can even handle the league physically before we trade Matheson.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I love Matheson, but if there's a deal to acquire a player such as say........Maverik Bourque out of Dallas...I would consider it.

Reactions: Vachon23

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Of course theres a spot for him. Im arguing he's too expensive to be what he is. Theres no need to spend such assets on a guy like him when were rebuilding.

By all means, trade a 3rd for an actual stop gap like Edmundson or Savard before they were useless. Dont spend prime assets for a stop gap.

We said the same thing about Anderson, Gallagher, Petry, etc.

Prime your assets for your winning window. Fans are incredibly impatient, keeping Matheson is the opposite of patience.

Yes, he probably won't be in his prime by the time this team pivots to their "winning window" but I'm not even advocating that he should be extended.

The context presented in this thread is for this year only. What is the rush to unload him this year specifically?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Boston is 2nd in the NHL and they're running Forbot and Grelzyck in their top 4.

What if they offer Swayman, Forbort and Brunet for him and Primeau ?

Running a Swayman/Montambault tandem would be fantastic.

Matheson could also be very interesting for Vancouver, who's currently running Cole and Soucy on the left side. They have prospects like Raty, Klimovich, Lekkerimaki, Brz and Willander who could all come back the other way.

Detroit too and they are f***ign packed with drafted prospects and young players.

Toronto would also be interested Im sure. Minten, Robertson could all be offered.

I bet Winnipeg would love to push down Dillon and have Matheson on the 2nd pair behind Morrissey. McGroarty, Lambert, Lucius, Barlow...

Theres alot of opportunities for Matheson.

Yes, he probably won't be in his prime by the time this team pivots to their "winning window" but I'm not even advocating that he should be extended.

The context presented in this thread is for this year only. What is the rush to unload him this year specifically?
The rush is that his value goes down. Can his value go any higher ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad