Minimum price to trade Mike Matheson near the deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Minimum price to trade Mike Matheson near the deadline (pick closest answer)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
I wouldnt take a late 1st for Matheson. I request a 1st + good prospect. Im definutly ok to stay with him in the top 4 + 1st PP

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Boston is 2nd in the NHL and they're running Forbot and Grelzyck in their top 4.

What if they offer Swayman, Forbort and Brunet for him and Primeau ?

Running a Swayman/Montambault tandem would be fantastic.

Matheson could also be very interesting for Vancouver, who's currently running Cole and Soucy on the left side. They have prospects like Raty, Klimovich, Lekkerimaki, Brz and Willander who could all come back the other way.

Detroit too and they are f***ign packed with drafted prospects and young players.

Toronto would also be interested Im sure. Minten, Robertson could all be offered.

I bet Winnipeg would love to push down Dillon and have Matheson on the 2nd pair behind Morrissey. McGroarty, Lambert, Lucius, Barlow...

Theres alot of opportunities for Matheson.

The rush is that his value goes down. Can his value go any higher ?

I don't think there is a realistic scenario that his value will go either way to a material extent within this time frame. Next year, this massive wave of habs defensman will be well into their 3rd seasons, and matheson will still have term left. I think the timing shapes up better then.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Matheson could also be an Alzner. Maybe he gets injured and hes worth nothing next year.

Thats a dumb way to think.
What's dumb is comparing Matheson to Alzner.

As for injury - that goes for every player in the NHL. So we should trade Caufield because he might get hurt next year - right?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
What's dumb is comparing Matheson to Alzner.

As for injury - that goes for every player in the NHL. So we should trade Caufield because he might get hurt next year - right?
Did you miss the initial comparison ? As if every young players/first rounder was a Mesar ? It's the same dumb argument. I wouldn't compare Alzner to Matheson, of course. Doing so the other way around is just as dumb.

Moreso, you have to have a lot more certainty in your pro and amateur scouting as an organisation and believe that they can find a gem with the assets coming back from Matheson, otherwise, why are they even employed and why are we holding to all these picks and prospects ?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I'd keep him for now. We need a vet dman for at least the next two years and it would make lot more sense to trade Savard at next year deadline and keep Matheson until the last year of his contract. If we are still not competing for a playoffs spot in the last year of his contract yeah trade him (or if we need to clear a spot for a better kid).

Now some people could say i don't make sense since i'm advocating trading Monahan if a good offer is made but i think starting next season Suzuki will be old enough and experienced enough to play the vet presence in the team top 6. Our young dman will certainly not be.

BTW Matheson will be 30 next season for a player of his skills level it's not young. Very often players of Matheson or Anderson skills level are done at 32-33. It's not rare at all it's very common. They keep around for a while because of their reputation like Simmonds did but they are mostly done as relevant players in the top 6 / 4. Not every players can compete until 35 despite popular belief.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Vet options should be cheap asset wise. Monahan and Matheson can both bring back a hefty load, they should be sent out.

Guys like Savard, Perry, etch make more sense for veteran presence.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Vet options should be cheap asset wise. Monahan and Matheson can both bring back a hefty load, they should be sent out.

Guys like Savard, Perry, etch make more sense for veteran presence.
I respectfully disagree. You need veterans that are important contributors and don't force you to play young assets in roles that they are not ready. Trading Matheson and to some extent Monahan prolongs the rebuild. We have enough prospects and picks and all that is left is for HuGo to try and trade for more elite talent.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Matheson has been excellent since he joined the team and is the lone offensive catalyst we have on the back end. He’s young enough to still play an integral role in a few years when the team should be contending, so the only piece I’d consider moving him for is a young game breaking forward. Not sure he holds that kind of value around the league though.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I respectfully disagree. You need veterans that are important contributors and don't force you to play young assets in roles that they are not ready. Trading Matheson and to some extent Monahan prolongs the rebuild. We have enough prospects and picks and all that is left is for HuGo to try and trade for more elite talent.
What young assets are not ready to play ? Guhle is already better. Xhekaj is more than good enough for 2nd pair on a bad team. Harris is decent on the third pair.

Why do we need Matheson ? Get a cheap vet that can play for the RD 2nd pair, I guess. Thats it.

Suzuki, Dach can play top 6 instead of Monahan, theyre both better.

It does not prolong the rebuild. Its priming your assets for 5+ years of contending. These two do the exact opposite.

To be fair I am not interested in debating this, Ive debated this for 10 + years and every time Ive been right, not doing it again. You can live in "Good vet" land all you want, I don't and I don't care.

Matheson has been excellent since he joined the team and is the lone offensive catalyst we have on the back end. He’s young enough to still play an integral role in a few years when the team should be contending, so the only piece I’d consider moving him for is a young game breaking forward. Not sure he holds that kind of value around the league though.
Guhle is a better offensive player than Matheson. Guhle has 3 less 5v5 Primary points than Matheson as a Hab.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'd keep him for now. We need a vet dman for at least the next two years and it would make lot more sense to trade Savard at next year deadline and keep Matheson until the last year of his contract. If we are still not competing for a playoffs spot in the last year of his contract yeah trade him (or if we need to clear a spot for a better kid).

Now some people could say i don't make sense since i'm advocating trading Monahan if a good offer is made but i think starting next season Suzuki will be old enough and experienced enough to play the vet presence in the team top 6. Our young dman will certainly not be.

BTW Matheson will be 30 next season for a player of his skills level it's not young. Very often players of Matheson or Anderson skills level are done at 32-33. It's not rare at all it's very common. They keep around for a while because of their reputation like Simmonds did but they are mostly done as relevant players in the top 6 / 4. Not every players can compete until 35 despite popular belief.

Yeah I'm on the same boat as you with respect to monahan and matheson.

The monahan case differs because his contract is expiring. I think the Habs would have dealt him last season if he didn't get shutdown, tbh.

Reactions: LaP

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Did you miss the initial comparison ? As if every young players/first rounder was a Mesar ? It's the same dumb argument. I wouldn't compare Alzner to Matheson, of course. Doing so the other way around is just as dumb.

Moreso, you have to have a lot more certainty in your pro and amateur scouting as an organisation and believe that they can find a gem with the assets coming back from Matheson, otherwise, why are they even employed and why are we holding to all these picks and prospects ?
Those teams willing to make the kind of deal you dream on, are the top ones because they want to win now. That means the return could be a late to very late first round. Then your Mesar/Alzner is a complete fail because Alzner's far to be a Matheson and anyone in the team could also be seriously be injured, but the Mesar here here is a name that represents a probability % that a late first rounder turns into a top player.

That % is already low at that point. Nothing to do with the ones paid to find a gem, but from scouting history. That's why i wouldn't take a chance to trade a very good player on the first pair, flying on the ice and putting points, to get an under 10% ( i don't know exactly ) of chance to draft a player that could turn few years later into what Matheson is already.

Some of the fans on this forum have a real wet dream about getting plenty of first rounder selections to fit them in Habs contender window. It doesn't work that way and anyway by the time this 27th-32th draftee of 2025 will be ready to have a serious impact, you will want to trade Suzuki because he's gonna be at the same age as Matheson, so he's gonna be to old...It will never stop :laugh:

Reactions: Miller Time

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
With Matheson injured barron about to steal his spot on the top pp bb

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Those teams willing to make the kind of deal you dream on, are the top ones because they want to win now. That means the return could be a late to very late first round. Then your Mesar/Alzner is a complete fail because Alzner's far to be a Matheson and anyone in the team could also be seriously be injured, but the Mesar here here is a name that represents a probability % that a late first rounder turns into a top player.

That % is already low at that point. Nothing to do with the ones paid to find a gem, but from scouting history. That's why i wouldn't take a chance to trade a very good player on the first pair, flying on the ice and putting points, to get an under 10% ( i don't know exactly ) of chance to draft a player that could turn few years later into what Matheson is already.

Some of the fans on this forum have a real wet dream about getting plenty of first rounder selections to fit them in Habs contender window. It doesn't work that way and anyway by the time this 27th-32th draftee of 2025 will be ready to have a serious impact, you will want to trade Suzuki because he's gonna be at the same age as Matheson, so he's gonna be to old...It will never stop :laugh:
Yup.

Oddly, some of the same folks who complain the most about the prospects we do pick (be it that they wanted us to draft someone else, or disagree with the development approach), are the ones most eager to trade away quality players like Matheson for futures... Futures that they'll inevitably complain about lol

Such odd reasoning :dunno:

• Haha
Reactions: ZUKI and Scriptor

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I would be hesitant to trade him for a late 1st and honestly those are the teams that would be interested. But..... I would trade him for a good prospect or an under appreciated youngster (Dach/Newhook) type of deal.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

First, the Mesar example doesnt work because hes a bust. Why not use Hutson? Why not Roy? Heck, why not Kulich? Should we have held on 29 YO patches? Who needs Suzuki, hes probably a bust like Jake Bean was the year before, right?

And I said Id trade him for a prospect or a younger player, rather than a pick.

The problem with the Suzuki example you just gave us, is exactly why I want to trade Matheson, and why we should trade Suzuki if the team isnt close to competiting in the near future when he is thirty.

Its only a service to fans to keep around such players.

• Haha
Reactions: Scriptor

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
With Matheson injured barron about to steal his spot on the top pp bb
First, the Mesar example doesnt work because hes a bust. Why not use Hutson? Why not Roy? Heck, why not Kulich? Should we have held on 29 YO patches? Who needs Suzuki, hes probably a bust like Jake Bean was the year before, right?

And I said Id trade him for a prospect or a younger player, rather than a pick.

The problem with the Suzuki example you just gave us, is exactly why I want to trade Matheson, and why we should trade Suzuki if the team isnt close to competiting in the near future when he is thirty.

Its only a service to fans to keep around such players.
Steal -- what a joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad