Minimum price to trade Mike Matheson near the deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Minimum price to trade Mike Matheson near the deadline (pick closest answer)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Mike Matheson has two years left after this one payng 4.875 million/year. He is a 6'2, 29 year-old Montreal native, he had 34 points in 48 games last year, and has 6 points in 8 games this year.

I vote for "Don't trade Matheson, he's good and young and worth keeping as a top-4 D, at least for now," but I'm curious what others think.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
There are other players to trade for value beside him, I’d hold on, he will still be very good once we’re ready to compete and dmen like him are hard to find.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Dont trade Matheson.

We can barely find 20 best D than him right now.

38 points in 56 games since joining us, plays 25++min a night, is physical, moves the puck extremely well. He is a 1D.

He still has 5-7 years of high quality hockey to give. He is part of the core going forward. Remember that Suzuki and Caufield 8 years contract are running.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Mike Matheson has two years left after this one payng 4.875 million/year. He is a 6'2, 29 year-old Montreal native, he had 34 points in 48 games last year, and has 6 points in 8 games this year.

I vote for "Don't trade Matheson, he's good and young and worth keeping as a top-4 D, at least for now," but I'm curious what others think.
Same. Unless of course his injury last night is career ending, then it’s the Antichambre panel.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
You need to have a couple vets on defense. I'm assuming Savard goes before Matheson. Matheson is a hometown player who is a bit older but is coming into his own. No rush or need to trade him at the moment.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
The price starts at two firsts. And not two Las Vegas firsts, if you get my drift.

Reactions: DAChampion

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Yeah no to the trade. We need to develop offensively talented blueliners who can also play some D, like Matheson. No question players learn from their teammates and better yet guys they are on the ice with, and as Matheson is our best vet in that regard, he stays another year anyway.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Trade him for another what, Mesar? Mathesons value to us is far higher than it is on the trade market. Unless some team decides to offer a young potential top liner or starting goalie, which I highly doubt.
Matheson could also be an Alzner. Maybe he gets injured and hes worth nothing next year.

Thats a dumb way to think.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

So far we have Guhle as a top pair dman and Xhekaj and Harris as good bottom pair dmen on the left side.

We might want to find out what we have in Hutson, Engstrom, and Trudeau before we move Matheson.

But at some point many of these D have to get moved. There are only 3 spots on each of the left and right sides. Plus, I expect us to lose 1 or 2 in the expansion drafts and perhaps others to the salary cap as well.

Reactions: HabzSauce

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
I'd trade him only if the deal is really generous. Anything less than generous is not that worth it. I'd rather Habs package him and their 1st this year for another Kirby Dach type trade. Basically a former top 5 pick/elite prospect that a team can afford to give up. My three proposals would be:

Matheson+ for Nemec

Matheson for Askarov and a 1st

Matheson for Wallstedt and a 1st

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
You need to have a couple vets on defense. I'm assuming Savard goes before Matheson. Matheson is a hometown player who is a bit older but is coming into his own. No rush or need to trade him at the moment.
I can understand your points here, but the issue is Montreal's depth of talent is on LHD which is the position Matherson plays.

Although they have some excellent RHD prospects, the depth is much thinner, so there are little to no in-house replacement options if Reinbacher/ Mailloux aren't up to the task.

Last edited:

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I'd trade him only if the deal is really generous. Anything less than generous is not that worth it. I'd rather Habs package him and their 1st this year for another Kirby Dach type trade. Basically a former top 5 pick/elite prospect that a team can afford to give up. My three proposals would be:

Matheson+ for Nemec

Matheson for Askarov and a 1st

Matheson for Wallstedt and a 1st
It's fine to ask for the moon if you don't want to trade him, but those deals are not realistic at all.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

I'd say it's a clear "No", both for the team needs & because it's highly unlikely Hughes would entertain anything short of a massive overpayment to trade him.

He's perhaps the best cap bargain top pairing caliber dman (excluding ELC/RFA) in the league... Seems to be a great teammate... Fully bought in to what they are trying to build... Performs at a high level.

With the cap going up & the inevitable big paydays that will follow this summer, the bargain of his cap hit will only increase. If he were to be traded for futures, makes more sense to wait till the summer of his final year to get max value & give more time to our young D prospects to mature into top pairing/top 4 regulars

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad