Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] Kirill Kaprizov re-signs with the Wild (5 years, $9M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I think I showed you over 200 games in that post. He's 24 years old and has been playing at this level for over 200 games now. He is what he is. He's not going to fall off a cliff at this point. The question surrounding him was can it translate to the NHL, and it did. So he gets paid.

More NHL games wasn't an option. A bridge deal wasn't an option here.

Yea, no offense but I am not counting KHL games, that's an inferior league.

I hope I am wrong and he lives up to that contract but IMO that is way too much and way too soon.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yea, no offense but I am not counting KHL games, that's an inferior league.

I hope I am wrong and he lives up to that contract but IMO that is way too much and way too soon.

It doesn't matter what you think about the quality of the leagues. The point is he has upheld this level of play for several years. He has outperformed other Russian stars along the way throughout his career on the same level. Whether you agree or not, games outside of the NHL count for something, and can tell us something.

And again, a bridge deal, or more NHL games played, was not an option here.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
It doesn't matter what you think about the quality of the leagues. The point is he has upheld this level of play for several years. He has outperformed other Russian stars along the way throughout his career on the same level. Whether you agree or not, games outside of the NHL count for something, and can tell us something.

And again, a bridge deal, or more NHL games played, was not an option here.

This years leader board.....what does this show you?

9.png
Vadim Shipachyov (C)
Dynamo Moskva572047671.182228
2.png
Teemu Hartikainen (C/W)
Salavat Yulaev Ufa532836641.211817
9.png
Damir Zhafyarov (RW)
Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod582140611.05266
8.png
Dmitrij Jaskin (RW/LW)
Dynamo Moskva593822601.025225
14.png
Stéphane Da Costa (C/RW)
Ak Bars Kazan522730571.102412
3.png
Justin Danforth (RW/C)
Vityaz Podolsk582332550.95503
6.png
Brian O'Neill (RW/LW)
Jokerit531242541.021230
2.png
Markus Granlund (C/LW)
Salavat Yulaev Ufa502330531.062622
2.png
Sakari Manninen (C/LW)
Salavat Yulaev Ufa551933520.951018
23.png
Shane Prince (LW/RW)
Dinamo Minsk522524490.944514
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Why was a bridge deal not an option?

He's three years from UFA, and next summer he'd have arbitration rights and offer sheet eligibility. He could simply walk to UFA, and we wouldn't have the ability to offer him an extension with our cap situation. We needed to lock him up for four years minimum. Guerin wanted five years instead. He's paying for those two UFA years.

Break it down like this if it helps:
3x7.5M
2x11.25M

Is it a risk to pay that much for two of his UFA years right now? Maybe. But it also isn't going to hurt that much if he turns out not to be worth it, because it's two years and then the contract is over. And the AAV for those two years will be 9M, not 11.25M.

Reactions: ctmagic

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

That appears to be the top 10 scorers in the KHL last season. What's your point?

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
He's three years from UFA, and next summer he'd have arbitration rights and offer sheet eligibility. He could simply walk to UFA, and we wouldn't have the ability to offer him an extension with our cap situation. We needed to lock him up for four years minimum. Guerin wanted five years instead. He's paying for those two UFA years.

Break it down like this if it helps:
3x7.5M
2x11.25M

Is it a risk to pay that much for two of his UFA years right now? Maybe. But it also isn't going to hurt that much if he turns out not to be worth it, because it's two years and then the contract is over. And the AAV for those two years will be 9M, not 11.25M.

Seems overly complicated. Just bridge him for 2 years and if he continues his good play then pay him what he wants and you get him for 10 years instead of 8.

Who cares if he has arb rights and offer sheet eligibility, just match if he is worth it

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Seems overly complicated. Just bridge him for 2 years and if he continues his good play then pay him what he wants and you get him for 10 years instead of 8.

Who cares if he has arb rights and offer sheet eligibility, just match if he is worth it

I explained that to you in the post why the way the team went is a better route than the way you think they should have gone. It's not that complicated, just requires a little bit of brain.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc

You seem to think that how a player performs in the KHL means he will do the same in the NHL and its not the case at all.

I explained that to you in the post why the way the team went is a better route than the way you think they should have gone. It's not that complicated, just requires a little bit of brain.

I see, I guess I am too dumb to think of paying a guy much more than he is worth and before he has actually earned it.

BTW my way gets you the player for 10 years instead of 8 and my way is cheaper for the cap. It also gives you 2 years to fix any cap issues to fit his new deal if he earns it, but hey what do I know, im not using my brain.

Reactions: Crow

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It had to be at least 4 years or else you might pay him 11+ cap hit while you have those harsh buyout years. That amounts to losing him since Minny would not afford that cap hit

Imo Kirill was generous to give Minny that 5th year. It's one more year he has to wait to get his 11 or 12 million dollar deal. He is confident he will get there. Panarin was who he was looking too

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You seem to think that how a player performs in the KHL means he will do the same in the NHL and its not the case at all.

No, that's not what I think, nor did I ever say that. I've explained to you multiple times why the KHL games are being referenced.

I see, I guess I am too dumb to think of paying a guy much more than he is worth and before he has actually earned it.

BTW my way gets you the player for 10 years instead of 8 and my way is cheaper for the cap. It also gives you 2 years to fix any cap issues to fit his new deal if he earns it

Your way isn't cheaper for any of the years beyond the two you'd bridge him for. Your way is much more expensive for three years and beyond.

Plenty of teams lock their RFAs up at a slightly higher AAV than they deserve at the time with the hope that the RFA improves and the AAV is lower than what they'd get on the market. That is a very normal tactic for teams to use. The Canes just did it with Andrei Svechnikov.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

BTW my way gets you the player for 10 years instead of 8 and my way is cheaper for the cap. It also gives you 2 years to fix any cap issues to fit his new deal if he earns it, but hey what do I know, im not using my brain.

Your way basically forces us to trade him in 2 years.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Yeah, that was sarcasm, which is usually a bad idea in these situations when people are saying all sorts of things. Wild fans should not hate the contract. Not every post is a winner.

That wasn’t my point, I wasn’t clear and I also didn’t think Zuccarello fans would be so touchy. He’s swell, he’s the best, you can stop complaining about my one comment about him.
"Pay no attention to my awful takes"

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
On the one hand, this is a massive contract for a player with so few NHL games. He’s played just 55 NHL games (62 including playoffs), I’m guessing this is the largest contract ever for a player with so few NHL games played?

On the other hand … I think he’ll probably be worth it. It’s risky, but he’s really talented, I think he plays like a guy worth $9 mil over the course of this deal.

Reactions: MuckOG

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think some people are too entrenched in the idea of a player "proving it" over multiple seasons, when sometimes the talent level is obvious, and past play outside the NHL shows a pedigree that suggests it's likely to continue. If McDavid was a free agent after his rookie year when he had 48 points in 45 games, do you sign him to his current 8 year, 12.5 deal if the other option is him walking to the KHL? 100% you do. Because it's obvious he was going to be a star based on both what he did that year, the obvious talent and what he did in juniors. It's the same thing here. The only difference is that some people are unwilling to consider play outside of the NHL for older KHL players in the same way they consider draft potential for recent picks based on juniors.

Last edited:

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
if he does great again this year will it still be a fluke or does it make the contract safe?

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

That you continue to willfully ingnore the relationship between age and production? Kaprizov was playing full time in the KHL as a teenager and he 42 points (20G 22A) in 49 games as a 19 year old, his third season in the league.

None of those dudes could do that (Shipachyov came closest). People have posted listed with all-time U23 scoring in the KHL. That’s the list that matters. Those guys are in the KHL and Kaprizov in the NHL at a much younger age. They presumably could not have done what he did, going by their careers. It’s the same with Gusev, he’s excellent player but he is not on the same level.

You can’t reference vague “Players in the KHL” you have to use age and if you do then the comparable players are few and they have had success in the NHL. He is an elite offensive player. It’s true that it’s unclear what exactly his offensive ceiling is but his performance in his first NHL season was completely in line with his development in as an elite player in the KHL. He’s not that much of a black box.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN

If you are going to discount age into the equation it is on you to explain why?

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012

Don’t you understand how dumb Tampa Bay is? Who would want to use their template of bridging their players. /s

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Don’t you understand how dumb Tampa Bay is? Who would want to use their template of bridging their players. /s
How is Tampa of all teams a template? They give all their young players short bridge deals because that’s all they can afford in their cap crunch. They don’t get burned after the deals are up because players want to stay on the unstoppable Cup winning juggernaut in the tax-friendly Sunny Florida.

Unless you’re arguing any NHL team can get players like Kucherov and Point signed to 8 year/9.5m deals when then they are one year from UFA, but that’s a ludicrous argument.

Saying the Wild shouldn’t be concerned about Kaprizov hitting arbitration when he will have only been on the team for two year or three years, and likely won nothing while not playing with future Hall of Famers (so not Tampa), is magical thinking. Sorry, you can’t complain about the risks of around performance and then hand waive this more concrete one away.

And lol on agreeing with the Wild getting “2 years to fix any cap issues” actually means anything considering what their cap situation is.

A4A86F18-F9F7-4E4E-BEBF-A9C758452A10.jpeg

That ain’t a two year thing and you can’t “fix” it. (I think some Wild fans might have mentioned their cap situation in this thread before, once or twice or 97 times before.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad