What is your perfect NHL?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
82gp.
30gp (bye Winnipeg and Utah).
16 playoff teams.
Cap at 100 mil.
Max contract at 12.5.
A commissioner that’s not Gary Bettman that can help the sport grow and be more profitable without the ridiculous betting sites.

Also Reduced buyout penalty on contracts to a max of 3 years. Still pay out over x number of years but buyout penalties are preventing teams from making improvements after the fact.

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
Start and finish the season earlier. Cup awarded around the first week in June.

1 to 8 playoff seeding.

3-2-1-0 point system.

Draft lottery: Each team is awarded a ball for every year they have missed the playoffs in the last 6 years. Removes the incentive to be the worst in the league, gives a reasonable timeframe for a rebuild.

No ads on helmets or jerseys. No moving digital ads. No gambling ads during the game or gambling discussed by intermission talking heads.

Officiating to be somewhat consistent. Stop the game management. Consistent penalties for dangerous plays like headshots and slewfoots. Hawkeye system for offside and get rid of the offside review.

Reactions: rfournier103

Crow

May 19, 2014
How ever many games it would take to eliminate the back to back would make sense. I imagine it’s only 6-7. Not a lot of fun watching your team drag ass with a shitty goaltender.

Number of teams - don’t care

Number of playoff teams is fine but 1-8 was better.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
So, you are cutting out the Leafs and what other teams.
Cutting out the Leafs, Habs, Rangers, Bruins, Blackhawks, Red Wings, Flyers and another team or two entirely from the present-day NHL and leaving them to create their own league -- the same way the NHL itself was created in 1917 when four of five teams defected from the NHA -- is kind of appealing.

Separate the wheat from the chaff, financially speaking.

Reactions: rfournier103

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
- 64 Games
- 32 Teams
- Only play for Eastern and Western Conference championships within the NHL.
- 8 + 8 playoff structure
- Make winning the conference championships matter (money, revamp the trophies.)
- Stanley cup is played for by international tournament of the two conference champions, plus top 2 KHL teams, plus championship teams from NLA, SHL, DEL, Liiga with a 4 and 4 bracket structure with the top 2 NHL and KHL teams each with own bracket to start (so you always have chance of NHL/KHL v NHL/KHL for final four.)

Want an international tourney to matter? Put the Cup in play.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Feb 3, 2007
I think a regular, restricted schedule would be good. For example, say every team played Tue, Thu, Sat every week. No games on the other days. It's hockey night! This would raise the NHL's profile for casual fans I think.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
We are witnessing it. High degree of parity, a league healthy enough to support more expansion over the last decade. Good competition of talent at the top end

Bench Clearer

Aug 10, 2023
Gary Bettman and the NHL Board of Governors are forced out after I tug at everyone's heartstrings by telling everyone that hockey is too violent and PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN. I smoothly convince everyone of this by using the most hackneyed feel good talking points imaginable. After I am put in charge, I declare a new world order of professional hockey, and proclaim myself to be the ultimate hockey overlord. No rules committee, no board of governors, no nothing....just me with absolute power.

-80 games, 4 divisions, 24 teams, 4 teams from each division make the postseason. I decide which teams are abolished in The Great Contraction
-Divisional playoff format is abolished. Playoff matchups are decided via random lottery style drawing but higher seeds still have home ice advantage
-Ad breaks will take place between periods ONLY. They will all just be vomited out at once so the pansy owners can get their precious little ad revenue. No ads on jerseys, helmets, or anywhere in the arena unless they look like they did in 1993 (Pizza Hut Delivers!) since that was a superior time period. All studio intermission shows are gone forever--no one needs a bunch of talking heads blah blah blah-ing about what we just saw for the last 20 minutes, especially today when you can just look up that shit on your phone. Any team caught using modern sponsors loses all of their upcoming draft picks and the owner will be forced to eat a giant plate of steamed boogers at gunpoint
-No third man rule, no instigator, no game misconduct for secondary altercation, no restrictions on fighting in the last few minutes of the game. Fighting is encouraged as much as possible, and all fans who complain about fighting are banned for life and sent to forced labor camps where they wear dunce caps and are savagely beaten
-Players who turn down invitations to fight are given automatic game misconducts and their pay is reduced by 80 percent
-Lady Byng trophy is replaced by a trophy rewarding the player with the most penalty minutes. The Lady Byng trophy will be slowly lowered into a vat of acid. This event will be televised to the roar of the approving crowd.
-No mandatory visors. You can wear one if you want, but if you leave it on while fighting you get an automatic game misconduct and your pay is reduced by 80 percent
-Headshots are encouraged as much as possible. Concussion protocol eliminated. No suspensions for dirty hits. Keep your head up!
-Linesman who break up fights too early or before they have a chance to get going will be forced at gunpoint to look me in the eye while cutting off their pinky yakuza style.
-Only goals are reviewed. Refs have 30 seconds to make up their mind.
-Ref mics taken away so they can't announce penalties. PA announcers will do that--in the meantime, lazy fans can learn the signals
-Home teams wear white, road teams wear dark, no exceptions. No alternate jerseys, no special occasion jerseys, no political jerseys.
-Guaranteed contracts gone forever. Players will be paid based on how hard they practice and play, and the measures that they take to stay violent.
-No testing for any illegal substances except weed. If you are caught using weed you are banned for life. If you are caught using steroids or cocaine, you are given a raise and a complimentary filet mignon dinner, however if you are arrested that's on you.
-Teams will no longer employ the following: PR departments or media coaches of any kind, or HR departments. Completely useless. Broadcasters can stay and are given free reign to express themselves as much as possible unless they criticize violent play, in which case they will be immediately banned for life.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
750 teams, so that each player can have their own team.
-9 ads on the front of the jersey, with the team logo small and on the side of the jersey under the arm.
-Video replay for everything. ex- Linesman dropped the puck 1mm to the wrong side, 11 minute replay to get it right.
-If you hit minus 5 in any game, you get a 1 game suspension, but a $250,000 bonus for the special achievement.
-Flat cap of $300 million, just to make it fair.
-Gary Bettman handles all league news for every team with a press conference for any and all news.
-1 goalie can have equipment as big as they want, but if a team does this, the other goalie has to play with 1950s equipment. (including lack of helmet)
-Any players that are dumb as a stump, have to wear a special dunce helmet with massive padding to protect their noggin.
-Every time the whistle goes, there is a 1 minute ad for a gambling site. Must be the same ad used each time.
-Teams can have 10 players that can approach the ref when calls are made. 10 from each team should be enough to tell the ref what he did wrong or right.
-Each and every goal shall be reviewed no less than 5 minutes, and since we are waiting, five 1 minute gambling ads shall play. (again same ad each time)(no need for fans to see replay of goal, that is unimportant)
-Every big hit, incurs a forced fight. Loser gets kicked out of game.
-Stanley Cup winner, rides a team bus to each losing city to rub it in. They don't get summer break until each city has been visited.
Poetry. Oh my God this is amazing

Reactions: Oddbob and Realgud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad