Confirmed Signing with Link: [MIN] D Brock Faber signs extension with the Wild (8 years, $8.5M AAV)

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Why is that far fetched? Doughty signed an $11mil contract in 2019. With the cap increase, if Faber becomes one of the defenders in the nhl, $13mil a couple years from now would be a real possibility.
Not enough UFA years for that to be realistic.
Also, while he projects in the top tier in terms of defending and transition, he doesn't have the tools to be a top offensive producer.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
This is why they need to bring back elc's

getting 8.5 mil based off of one year is a horrible idea

And I'm a Faber fan

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Translation : Brock Faber had a better season than Jake Sanderson.

Key word there being season (singular, not plural).

Sanderson has been better every season of their careers before this one, and not be a small amount either.

Faber could very well justify this contract, but given he's never shown significant offensive potential besides this year, there's some risk involved

At least Sanderson put up really good numbers in previous years to justify his 8x8 deal.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

And I'm a Faber fan
? Faber signed an ELC. ELCs arent gone...

Sanderson has been better every season of their careers before this one, and not be a small amount either.

Faber could very well justify this contract, but given he's never shown significant offensive potential besides this year, there's some risk involved

At least Sanderson put up really good numbers in previous years to justify his 8x8 deal.
lol what? Sanderson has only played 2 years, and Faber just one, and his one season is already clearly better than anything Sanderson has done.

sena

Jul 3, 2024
Aren't teams supposed to get discounts when they commit early to relatively unproven/high potential players like this?
high end Dmen will not be signing for under 10 in 3 years ,they did get a deal if this works out.
2 years of overpay 2 years of fair pay and four years of great deal is the hope on this one.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

And I'm a Faber fan
Faber has another season to play on his elc before this extension kicks in.
He's now effectively under contract for the next 9 seasons.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Are we really using college stats to justify NHL contracts? If Sanderson was so much better all of the years prior to the NHL, then why did Faber jump him so much in that 1 NHL season?

Reactions: Sota Popinski

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
lol what? Sanderson has only played 2 years, and Faber just one, and his one season is already clearly better than anything Sanderson has done.

I'm talking years spent in the USHL and NCAA as well.

Are we really using college stats to justify NHL contracts? If Sanderson was so much better all of the years prior to the NHL, then why did Faber jump him so much in that 1 NHL season?

Why wouldn't we be? Faber has a single year of pro hockey under his belt. Not a massive sample size.

Besides this season he's never put up significant numbers at any level (USHL or NCAA), so there is some risk that this season may have been an aberration and may not be repeated.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
The Wild scouted him and liked him enough to trade a PPG winger for him, and from his first game, first series, and first full season in this league he has looked the part as a true impact defenseman that can help your team in any situation. Guy is a workaholic with a huge motor, is a complete sponge and nearly unrivaled defensive instincts for anyone, let alone someone so young.

Every single GM in this league would want his skillset on their roster, supply and demand is the major contract factor and the supply of Faber's is beyond limited.

Anyone talking about only one season just means that this is the first season you have paid him any attention, it was clear before this season even started how much of an impact he was going to have. 2 NHL regular season games and 6 in the playoffs demonstrably showed he had game if the USNTDP, World Jrs, NCAA and Olympics weren't enough evidence. I will quote myself below, posted April 28, 2023 during Game 6 of the Dallas series.

"He has been our best defenseman this series, so good at everything." and that was with Brodin, Spurgeon and Dumba (who actually played pretty well.) Guy was going into board battles against Robertson and Hintz and making them look silly with less than a handful of games under his belt.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I mean, they did get a first round pick in that deal as well lol

It was a fairly standard trade.
The Wild had multiple options for trade partners and returns, they specifically went with Faber and a pick in the 20's. The point being that they saw things in the player that they really like for the team. So far he has proven them correct and it makes rational sense why they signed him long term as soon as they possibly could. Guerin and the staff are obviously big believers.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
The Wild had multiple options for trade partners and returns, they specifically went with Faber and a pick in the 20's. The point being that they saw things in the player that they really like for the team. So far he has proven them correct and it makes rational sense why they signed him long term as soon as they possibly could. Guerin and the staff are obviously big believers.
It was pick 19 I'm pretty sure

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
What's with these dumbass GM's giving ufa contracts to rfa's.
They have to pay someone. Smarter to pay guys for their prime years than the backside of their careers. And Faber would get a hell of a lot more than 8x8.5 next summer if he was UFA

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
What is Minnesota even insuring against here? That Faber drops 100 points next season and commands 11+ million?

I'd take that risk in order to gather another 80+ games of evidence that Faber actually is worth this contract before giving it to him.
If he does get 100 points I have no issue giving him what he’s worth after seeing it for another season. I agree with everything you’re saying.

At worse, you’re paying him what he’s worth with no risk.

With this, you might save a million or have an albatross if things don’t pan out. High risk low reward.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Need to replace that Suter buyout with something in few years

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
I don't get why people continue to be confused by these deals. The league has shifted. I think there is just a lot less fear of these types of deals now for guys of this age.

Even if Faber doesn't live up to 8.5 (which isn't going to be as hard as we think moving forward with a cap that is back on an upward trajectory), the deal has a fairly minimal shot at being a "bad" contract. He'd have to be an injury disaster, I think.

Teams would rather take a shot at getting a massive bargain and I don't blame them.

Reactions: lordtrillson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad