Mike Ribeiro charged with sexual assault

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
If the story was that he robbed a liquor store to satisfy his substance abuse habit then I'd say it's relevant. Not sure how relevant it is to sexual assault.
Drugs and alcohol abuse can do a lot more damage than simply turning you into a thief who robs to get his fix.

It’s also not necessarily related either but he did and likely still has substance abuse issues since he always shunned the help people tried to give him throughout his career.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
In these cases I always wonder how the prosecution plans to get a conviction. Like what possible evidence could you actually have to prove this beyond a reasonable doubt?

The incident happened a year ago. Have the police been investigating it this whole time?

Jul 6, 2016
The guy has always been a dopy, overblown head.

Talent wise, some people are saying he had as much talent as Crosby. The ressemblance stops right there.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
I remember one game vividly. He did something that had the other team out to get vengeance. He was challenged and went to an immediate turtle protecting his face and head. The guy on the other team started whaling on him and then just started wailing on him and then just skated away b4 the lines men could split them.

The other teams player got a penalty and Ribeiro went back to his bench and tried to solicit high fives from his team mates on the bench. The Tv announcer was saying how embarrassed his teammates looked when they reluctantly gave him a high five.

Every time I think about a “player turtling I think about Ribeiro and that game”!
Jesus
He was getting whaled on then got wailed on? That's a shitkicking!

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
It's sad. The dude clearly has severe mental illness.
So much talent but sometimes those internal demons are impossible to overcome. I think we've all known people in life who were immensely talented or genius who were cursed with severe mental illness.
I used to work with this patent attorney who was a savant. He was probably the best technical communicator I've ever witnessed. He could translate the most boring engineer termed instruction manual into an entertaining novel. There was not an engineering system that he could not understand. He was also legitimately one of the funniest people I've ever known. But the man had so much self-hatred and depression. 8-9 months out of the year he was the best attorney in the office, and everyone loved being around him. The other 3-4 months... good luck getting him to take a shower or change his clothes. Textbook case of bipolar disorder. Inevitably, he alienated all of his friends and family. Long story short, he was in the midst of one of his downswings and his ex wife went to help him. He lost his shit and beat her pretty severely. When he came to and realized what he had done, he hung himself. Needless to say it was a pretty heartbreaking funeral.
So much talent.... but couldn't overcome those demons.

Last edited:

stungun54

Apr 15, 2018
HFBoards since 2000
i feel bad for his victims, not him. f*** him and his addiction problems they are an excuse scumbags cling on to so they dont have to change there evil ways. f*** him hope they hang him in texas.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Thanks to Ribs and Theo many suspicious ppl in Montreal sent their kids to private schools
62970416_2955989ca19d54-b0d6-4354-8ea6-5c8dc84d22fd_ORIGINAL.jpg

Look Up

Rev up your .....batteries?
Oct 3, 2013
Former Dallas Stars center Mike Ribeiro’s East Texas sexual assault trial begins

Found this interesting - trial is in a rural Texas town. If it was being held somewhere in Canada, say Letterkenney, he would have 100% recognition.

"About 300 jury summons were sent out in anticipation of the high-profile criminal trial, prompting officials to set up a makeshift courtroom at the county airport to accommodate the crowd and parking woes. The judge’s bench was three folding tables, his chambers a kitchenette breakroom.

Roughly half of the prospective jurors showed up Monday morning; several were then dismissed. Despite Ribeiro’s celebrity, only two of the remaining 80-person jury pool said they recognized him from the rink."

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Former Dallas Stars center Mike Ribeiro’s East Texas sexual assault trial begins

Found this interesting - trial is in a rural Texas town. If it was being held somewhere in Canada, say Letterkenney, he would have 100% recognition.

"About 300 jury summons were sent out in anticipation of the high-profile criminal trial, prompting officials to set up a makeshift courtroom at the county airport to accommodate the crowd and parking woes. The judge’s bench was three folding tables, his chambers a kitchenette breakroom.

Roughly half of the prospective jurors showed up Monday morning; several were then dismissed. Despite Ribeiro’s celebrity, only two of the remaining 80-person jury pool said they recognized him from the rink."

You think 100% of Canadians know who Mike Riberio is? lmao

I could go to a family gathering and I would estimate like 4/15 people would know the name potentially.

Ad

Ad

Ad