Status
Not open for further replies.

Legionnaire11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 12, 2007
Fort Wayne
atlantichockeyleague.com
I hate that this guy was ever part of the Preds organization. And that the team gave him so much help, support, second chances, put him in positions to succeed after hockey... and apparently he's blown it all. Hopefully, if not for himself then at least his potential future victims, he gets himself straightened out, even if that has to happen behind bars.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Guy has always been a top notch piece of shit. He's legitimately the one NHL player I truly disliked in every fashion.

Scumbag dick head.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Such a shame that he never got a handle on these obvious personality flaws before it got to this point.

He was a very talented player who clearly had very deep issues that are now affecting the victims.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
This. He had a bad relationship with Koivu from day one. He claimed Koivu was jealous and had disdain for him (as I do). Calls him a bad captain every chance he gets.

From what I remember at the time Koivu (and many fans) had problems with Koivu being "outshined" by Ribeiro.

The fact is that from 2000 until he left the team, the four seasons where Koivu led the team in points coincide with the four seasons where the Habs missed the playoffs. Ribeiro also has a higher PPG than Koivu in his career. The Ribeiro trade was a horror and the team should have tried to help him instead of dumping him for peanuts.

But clearly Mike is an addict. He lost his wife and his career to addiction, and may lose his liberty as well. Such a sad story for everyone involved. I hope in prison he gets the help he has needed for years.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
From what I remember at the time Koivu (and many fans) had problems with Koivu being "outshined" by Ribeiro.

The fact is that from 2000 until he left the team, the four seasons where Koivu led the team in points coincide with the four seasons where the Habs missed the playoffs. Ribeiro also has a higher PPG than Koivu in his career. The Ribeiro trade was a horror and the team should have tried to help him instead of dumping him for peanuts.

But clearly Mike is an addict. He lost his wife and his career to addiction, and may lose his liberty as well. Such a sad story for everyone involved. I hope in prison he gets the help he has needed for years.
Koivu's problem with being outshined is 100% perception.

As for Ribeiro having a higher ppg than Koivu, this is false. Koivu has a super slight advantage on Ribeiro; their ppg are pretty much identical. Ribeiro played with much better linemates in his Dallas stint than Koivu had in Montreal. Koivu had decent wingers for short times (Zednik/Ryder/Higgins), but overall, his wingers in Montreal were very mediocre players to put on your 1st line. The 2002-2003 season, Koivu had 21 more points than the 2nd leading scorer on the team. I still don't know how he pulled that off considering a guy like Jan Bulis was the 4th scorer on the team. Putting up a 71 points season on such a terrible team is actually quite a feat. Koivu also captained Team Finland over Teemu Selanne. I have no doubt that Koivu was a great captain. Koivu also was amazing in the playoffs.

Ribeiro has proved time and time again that a POS. No wonder he now looks like a 80 years old rat. Anyone with a clue would take Koivu on his team before Ribeiro. Not even close.

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Koivu's problem with being outshined is 100% perception.

As for Ribeiro having a higher ppg than Koivu, this is false. Koivu has a super slight advantage on Ribeiro; their ppg are pretty much identical. Ribeiro played with much better linemates in his Dallas stint than Koivu had in Montreal. Koivu had decent wingers for short times (Zednik/Ryder/Higgins), but overall, his wingers in Montreal were very mediocre players to put on your 1st line. The 2002-2003 season, Koivu had 21 more points than the 2nd leading scorer on the team. I still don't know how he pulled that off considering a guy like Jan Bulis was the 4th scorer on the team. Putting up a 71 points season on such a terrible team is actually quite a feat. Koivu also captained Team Finland over Teemu Selanne. I have no doubt that Koivu was a great captain. Koivu also was amazing in the playoffs.

Ribeiro has proved time and time again that a POS. No wonder he now looks like a 80 years old rat. Anyone with a clue would take Koivu on his team before Ribeiro. Not even close.

It was never a question of one versus the other. OF COURSE Koivu is a better human than Ribeiro, even if he wasn't the great leader he was supposed to be. But Ribeiro had better stats as a C than the Habs have had at that position in the 15 years since he left. It was a horrible hockey trade. I would have far preferred that the team try to help Ribeiro through his personal problems than to trade him for scraps and, who knows, maybe he wouldn't be facing prison today if that was the case.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006

The fact is that from 2000 until he left the team, the four seasons where Koivu led the team in points coincide with the four seasons where the Habs missed the playoffs. Ribeiro also has a higher PPG than Koivu in his career.
Was he really outshined though? Ribeiro never scored at a greater pace that Koivu in Montreal. In fact he came close only once.

KoivuRibeiro
1999-00
0,88​
0,11​
2000-01
0,87​
0,00​
2001-02
0,67​
0,19​
2002-03
0,87​
0,33​
2003-04
0,81​
0,80​
2005-06
0,86​
0,65​

I think media rumblings at the time had more to do with him being captain of a team that was struggling most of the time. On the other hand, Ribeiro was a local guy and a new shinny who got a lot of leeway by the press. Everybody knew he was partying hard. Koivu has later been outshined by Kovalev and I never heard anybody suggest that he had a problem with that. He seemed pretty happy at the time.

The Ribeiro trade was a horror and the team should have tried to help him instead of dumping him for peanuts.

It's a sad story but a lot of people tried to help him in him career. From Guy Boucher to David Poile, and kudos to them. The guy was given a lot of opportunities to redeem himself and he threw them all in the trash.

Reactions: abo9 and Rockomax

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Was he really outshined though? Ribeiro never scored at a greater pace that Koivu in Montreal. In fact he came close only once.

KoivuRibeiro
1999-00
0,88​
0,11​
2000-01
0,87​
0,00​
2001-02
0,67​
0,19​
2002-03
0,87​
0,33​
2003-04
0,81​
0,80​
2005-06
0,86​
0,65​

I think media rumblings at the time had more to do with him being captain of a team that was struggling most of the time. On the other hand, Ribeiro was a local guy and a new shinny who got a lot of leeway by the press. Everybody knew he was partying hard. Koivu has later been outshined by Kovalev and I never heard anybody suggest that he had a problem with that. He seemed pretty happy at the time.

It's a sad story but a lot of people tried to help him in him career. From Guy Boucher to David Poile, and kudos to them. The guy was given a lot of opportunities to redeem himself and he threw them all in the trash.

Come on you're comparing Ribeiro at 19 on the fourth line with Koivu at 24 on the top line, then him getting 2 games as a 20 year old.

Overall Koivu has 832 points in 1124 games and Ribeiro 793 points in 1074 games. I am NOT suggesting Ribeiro was overall close to Koivu because he brought much more than points but he was certainly better than being traded for Niniimaa and his 3 points in 43 games. That trade tanked the Habs for a long time and they have been looking for an offensive C ever since.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
My second favourite time the Habs got rid of a player was when they traded Maxime Lapierre. It was a wonderful day. But I was 1,000,000,000,000 times happier when they traded Mike Ribeiro. I wish we could go back to the day the Habs drafted him and change history. Hopefully his victims are able to get the help they need
May I ask why?

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I would have far preferred that the team try to help Ribeiro through his personal problems than to trade him for scraps and, who knows, maybe he wouldn't be facing prison today if that was the case.
How do you know how hard they did or did not try?

TheStatican

Mar 14, 2012
Correction. He had and probably still has substance abuse problems. He's also a scumbag. He's a problem and has problems.
If I understand you correctly then what you are saying is that there is a big problem? 🤔

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
It’s funny the charges are VERY specific and graphic but there’s NO narrative to go with it.

Context is everything and given the current situation with folks like Amber Heard and given Rib’s nonexistent reputation making him a target of anything, I’m going to hold judgement until the facts are presented.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
A lot of people are understandably bringing up Ribeiro's substance abuse struggles in this thread. In general, I have sympathy for people who struggle with addiction...but there are many addicts who don't prey on women. Addiction can make a person act rashly and destructively, but it's not an excuse for repeated predatory behavior. This is a pattern for Ribeiro and I hope he doesn't get off easy this time.

Couldn't agree more!

Im an addict in recovery. Most of my good friends are too. We've all been to varying degrees of dark places and have some stories to tell about bad choices, regrets, and shitty decisions. During the heights of our addiction we raped exactly as many women as we wanted to. That number was zero.

Like you said, addiction can lead to a slew of bad decisions but most of those choices are made in an attempt to get more drugs. Sexual assault is another thing entirely.

Mike Ribero, and anyone who assaults another sexually is an absolute piece of shit. The lowest of the low. Too much smoke for there not to be fire with that piece of human trash1. I hope they throw the book at him for the lives he's clearly destroyed.

f*** that guy.

zodiacbiller

Sep 7, 2021
I remember people used to say he was a notoriously sketchy horndog around Montreal even before the first accusation. Seems like a real shithead.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Come on you're comparing Ribeiro at 19 on the fourth line with Koivu at 24 on the top line, then him getting 2 games as a 20 year old.

Overall Koivu has 832 points in 1124 games and Ribeiro 793 points in 1074 games. I am NOT suggesting Ribeiro was overall close to Koivu because he brought much more than points but he was certainly better than being traded for Niniimaa and his 3 points in 43 games. That trade tanked the Habs for a long time and they have been looking for an offensive C ever since.
You’re the one who bring up Ribeiro outshining Koivu in Montreal. What Ribeiro did after he was traded have no incidence whatsoever on their relationship.

As for the trade, I saw it as addition by substraction. I certainly don’t think that Mike Ribeiro, of all people, would have led this team (or any team) anywhere close to success. To suggest that it tanked the Habs is overrating him a lot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad