Mike Ribeiro charged with sexual assault

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Ribeiro for all his faults was a GREAT "player" with Dallas! And to think we got him for f'in Janne Niinimaa and a 5th still baffles me. He always seems to me to be a slimy individual.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Ribeiro for all his faults was a GREAT "player" with Dallas! And to think we got him for f'in Janne Niinimaa and a 5th still baffles me. He always seems to me to be a slimy individual.
And Dallas traded him for Cody Eakin. Then he was let go by the Caps after a point per game season. No team was willing to give anything of value for this guy. He was (is?) poisonous.

kaptaink

Apr 26, 2017
as others have mentioned this dude had so much raw talent, so many "second" chances(especially in Nashville) and he clearly never wanted / was able / maintained good choices that makes him not a scummy person. He could have had a great career and legacy

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Wow, hasn’t thought of it remembered him in years. I remember when he was out here in Phoenix briefly for the coyotes and all that nanny stuff. Damn.

He always comes to mind when I think anout the NHLers with the most talent and (seemingly) least work ethics and professionalism.

The guy was still putting up 50 pts at 35 years old on a very defensive Preds team (Forsberg led the team in points with 64 for context).

When I think about wasting talent... yeah its him

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
I forgot all about the babysitter thing. Sad that 10 years has changed nothing.

My heart goes out to those who have been assaulted by this scumbag and never came forward.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I remember one game vividly. He did something that had the other team out to get vengeance. He was challenged and went to an immediate turtle protecting his face and head. The guy on the other team started whaling on him and then just started wailing on him and then just skated away b4 the lines men could split them.

The other teams player got a penalty and Ribeiro went back to his bench and tried to solicit high fives from his team mates on the bench. The Tv announcer was saying how embarrassed his teammates looked when they reluctantly gave him a high five.

Every time I think about a “player turtling I think about Ribeiro and that game”!

Last edited:

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
Lmao clutching at his chest like Fred Sanford, grabbing his back, the frantic leg movement. Biggest sell job attempt of all-time.

Cocaine is a helluva drug btw.
Shesterkin gave him a run for his money for that title. There's something wrong with players who do that, big red flag.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
It was never a question of one versus the other. OF COURSE Koivu is a better human than Ribeiro, even if he wasn't the great leader he was supposed to be. But Ribeiro had better stats as a C than the Habs have had at that position in the 15 years since he left. It was a horrible hockey trade. I would have far preferred that the team try to help Ribeiro through his personal problems than to trade him for scraps and, who knows, maybe he wouldn't be facing prison today if that was the case.
I don’t know the details of his personal problems beyond this forum but ‘personal problems’ are not the cause. Drugs (if that’s truly his issue) don’t turn you into someone that will assault a woman. They drop the inhibitions and bring out what is already inside you. I’ve been horrendously drunk many time and not once have I behaved like that (or violent)… using the excuse/reason of being drunk/stoned/drugged is a complete and utter cop out. Being under the influence does not ‘make’ you do anything.

Anyway, I‘ve not seen in any of the reports that he was under the influence either, so for all we know he was stone cold sober.

As for the hockey trade his value would forever be tanked by ‘personal issues’. Perhaps Montreal had a good read on his character and didn’t feel he could overcome them. Perhaps he was creating wide problems behind the scenes. Perhaps it’s a bad trade looking at points but maybe for the organization it’s a case of addition by subtraction.

Saying Montreal could have potentially prevented his issues is just wrong. It’s on Mike Ribeiro and him only because he needs to want help and choose to work whatever program he needs. I’m not saying it’s easy but ultimately it has to come from him.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
He always comes to mind when I think anout the NHLers with the most talent and (seemingly) least work ethics and professionalism.

The guy was still putting up 50 pts at 35 years old on a very defensive Preds team (Forsberg led the team in points with 64 for context).

When I think about wasting talent... yeah its him

I really didn't want to be that guy, but in Dallas he was a stud. During the prime of his career, his talent was absolutely not wasted. He was one of the most fun players to watch over the last 20 years in Dallas. Let's not make a false narrative about his entire career.

Now, that is completely separate from the issue at hand. He seems to be a sick f***ed up person. I hope justice is served here.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I really didn't want to be that guy, but in Dallas he was a stud. During the prime of his career, his talent was absolutely not wasted. He was one of the most fun players to watch over the last 20 years in Dallas. Let's not make a false narrative about his entire career.

Now, that is completely separate from the issue at hand. He seems to be a sick f***ed up person. I hope justice is served here.

I might not have been precise enough in my language.

I meant that his talent was wasted on piece of shit person.

Also, he had an EXCELLENT career (near 800 points in 1074 games!!). But I cant help but think "what if" he was just an average personality with that extreme talent... could he have had an even more successful career? Hiw much better... ppg career territory?

Reactions: glovesave_35

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
And Dallas traded him for Cody Eakin. Then he was let go by the Caps after a point per game season. No team was willing to give anything of value for this guy. He was (is?) poisonous.
Ribeiro was in a serious decline when he was traded. We got what we needed out of him

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Ribeiro was in a serious decline when he was traded. We got what we needed out of him
His last 2 seasons in Dallas he went from .86 to .85 PPG. That’s not even a 1 point drop over a full season. The next season he went over PPG. That’s on par with his best years. His production is absolutely not the reason he wasn’t re-sign.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Correction. He had and probably still has substance abuse problems. He's also a scumbag. He's a problem and has problems.

If the story was that he robbed a liquor store to satisfy his substance abuse habit then I'd say it's relevant. Not sure how relevant it is to sexual assault.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
You’re the one who bring up Ribeiro outshining Koivu in Montreal. What Ribeiro did after he was traded have no incidence whatsoever on their relationship.

As for the trade, I saw it as addition by substraction. I certainly don’t think that Mike Ribeiro, of all people, would have led this team (or any team) anywhere close to success. To suggest that it tanked the Habs is overrating him a lot.
Ninimaa was the shits, but the Habs had a good thing going with Higgins-Koivu-Ryder, A. Kotsistyn-Plekanec-Kovalev as a top 6, until Carbo buried Kovalev on a 4th line with Lapierre and Latendresse in 2007, and then Ryder the following year.

I give Gainey credit for trying to clean up the team. Who knows how good of a career Plekanec would have had if he had to play behind Koivu and Ribeiro for more than 1 year?

Sadly Ribeiro is probably the best Quebec born Canadiens forward to have played in the Tricolore since Vincent Damphousse, with the possible exception of the 50 game season of Alex Tanguay.

Don Maloney sure helped him out by signing him for 4 years, and buying him out for 5 more at nearly $2 million per year.

He joins the likes of Dino Ciccarelli and Reid Boucher in the Hall of Shame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad