Rumor: Mike Reilly hoping to be traded

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Gotcha, I didn't know that, I thought he was constantly playing the physical game. Well, at least he's better than any AHL defenseman that's filled our roster right now. I think he would look good with Lyubushkin in the third pair.
Dumba sucks, I would not want to pay three mil more for those hits.........

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Retain 1M and Oilers will send you a 5th. That’s the fairest deal you’ll find.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
50% retained Reilly to the NYI for a 5th round pick?
Reilly retained at 50% as opposed to buired in the minors, saves 500k this year.... while costing more on the cap next year.

It's not happening.

No. Reilly already screwed us over before when he outright refused to sign his ELC, so he can sit and twist.
Yeah except GMs don't think like fans and instead try to do what's good for their teams.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
crap for crap

Who knows, maybe the change of scenery could be beneficial to them lol
Except the reason Reilly was waived was to save 1m on the cap and make room on the roster. Adding a more expensive, not as good player kinda seems like being illogical with that in mind.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Except the reason Reilly was waived was to save 1m on the cap and make room on the roster. Adding a more expensive, not as good player kinda seems like being illogical with that in mind.

"not as good player" currently; who knows maybe Zaitsev becomes a top-4 D playing with the Bruins great defensive system...

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Never understood that contract.
They based it on 26 games instead of the hundred of games before proving it was an overpay.

Reminds me of David Clarkson, obviously to a lesser degree.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
"not as good player" currently; who knows maybe Zaitsev becomes a top-4 D playing with the Bruins great defensive system...
Except even at other spots Reilly had better metrics...

and again... the whole point of waiving him was to try and clear space and a roster spot (this creates a spot so that McAvoy can come back and clears $1m). This does neither thing, unless for some reason you think that Zaitsev would take McAvoy's spot.

So it's not going to happen.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
BOS can't retain. They are going to be carrying bonus overages for Bergeron and Krejci, plus new contracts that need to be negotiated. $$ will be even more of a premium next year, so they can't afford to retain. They'll have to make the sweetener be enticing enough for teams that can fit the $3m.

How does that save cap?
Saves 250k

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Never understood that contract.
They based it on 26 games instead of the hundred of games before proving it was an overpay.

Reminds me of David Clarkson, obviously to a lesser degree.
Eh, he had decent metrics at other stops too. Now those metrics may be poor reflection of his actual play, but they were there. Then there's the whole $3m for a D in 2021 is not really comparable to $5.25 for a F in 2013.

Reactions: wintersej

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Saves 250k
For VAN.

For BOS it's an increase of $2m on the cap, considering Reilly is in the minors. If they make the deal and waive Pearson and send him to the minors, then BOS is spending the extra 250k on what they'd be charged for Reilly.

This is a simple thing: Either the B's pay someone to take Reilly or they keep him in the minors.

There's no reason to add more $ to the cap while not improving their team at all.

If nobody is willing to take Reilly with a sweetener, and I can understand why they won't, then they do nothing.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I would be interested in a swap for Kasperi Kapanen. Practically the same contract.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Zaitsev is an AHL quality D. There is zero chance he is elevates to NHL quality with another team. Sens will need to buy him out.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Interesting, I though Bruins fans were high on Reilly last season.

They have Lindholm now. And Forbort as bottom pair PK defensive D. And Gryz provides the same “I move the puck well but struggle to defend” game but does it better. He is an NHL defenseman but just no room when they are up against the cap. I think folks were more willing to look past the warts and at the great analytics pre-Lindholm, but he has struggled in back to back playoffs with the physical game.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
They have Lindholm now. And Forbort as bottom pair PK defensive D. And Gryz provides the same “I move the puck well but struggle to defend” game but does it better. He is an NHL defenseman but just no room when they are up against the cap. I think folks were more willing to look past the warts and at the great analytics pre-Lindholm, but he has struggled in back to back playoffs with the physical game.
He's an overpaid dman that no team would take for free. Therefore, if the Bruins want to dump him, it would cost assets.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
He's an overpaid dman that no team would take for free. Therefore, if the Bruins want to dump him, it would cost assets.

I actually don’t think he is overpaid on an island. The evolving hockey contract estimate when the Bruins signed him was actually 700k higher than the Bruins paid. Problem is that we are in year three of a flat cap and no one has space. So while I agree it will cost an asset, I think that an insane amount of contracts today would cost assets to move even if they are not bad contracts.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Eh, he had decent metrics at other stops too. Now those metrics may be poor reflection of his actual play, but they were there. Then there's the whole $3m for a D in 2021 is not really comparable to $5.25 for a F in 2013.

I know it's less than 5.25 and less than 7 years, hence the "lesser degree" in my post. It was more about a guy clearly overplaying and getting overpaid for it. Ville Leino is another example.

When Reilly signed for 3 million, I checked if there was another Reilly I somehow didn't know about because it made no sense to me.

I'd have understood 2 or so millions, but 3 millions was a blunder from the start for me.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Ducks and Bruins are recent dance partners. I could see Anaheim taking on both of Boston's buried contracts (Rielly and Wagner) if the right incentives were involved.

John Moore (LTIR) 2.75M final year

for

Mike Rielly 3M one year remaining
Chris Wagner 1.35M final year
2nd round pick
4th round pick

I'd then see Anaheim buying Rielly out this summer at a cost of 1.33M x 2
No to 2nd and 4th

Rather buy him out

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Yeah except GMs don't think like fans and instead try to do what's good for their teams.
The GM he said "no" to was Kekalainen. And he's also a client of Pat Brisson, whose recent work with the Jackets includes Seth Jones and Pierre-Luc Dubois - and might have included Zach Werenski, except Werenski had to fire him and find a different agent before getting the contract extended. And that's before anyone considers whether or not a left-shooting offense-oriented defensively-challenged blueliner has any use whatsoever to a team with lots of offensive-oriented LHDs and plenty of defensive problems already.

So perhaps you might want to reconsider the implicit ad-hominem.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad