Player Discussion Mike Amadio (F)

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Given Chychrun’s injury history and his poor play last year, I think there likely weren’t many teams, if any, that were willing to extend him. Washington said they want to see how he fits before getting into talks.

As a pure rental, I don’t think his value is a 1st. We got a 1st for DeBrincat because he was extending in Detroit.

It’s wild to me that people would prefer a late 2025 1st than Jensen considering the stage this team is at and what our needs are.
I also doubt Jensen costs a 1st. If you could get a first for Chychrun, then Staios likely takes the offer and then flips a 2nd + something else for Jensen, that would’ve likely worked imo. The Matt Roy acquisition meant he was getting moved regardless.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Given Chychrun’s injury history and his poor play last year, I think there likely weren’t many teams, if any, that were willing to extend him. Washington said they want to see how he fits before getting into talks.

As a pure rental, I don’t think his value is a 1st. We got a 1st for DeBrincat because he was extending in Detroit.
PTSD! PTSD! :scared:

• Haha
Reactions: DrEasy and PlayOn

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If we made the playoffs you mean? And if Chychrun didn't play in the defensive zone like he was scared shitless of the puck?

Maybe

EDIT: Playoffs isn't necessarily what I meant. If Korpisalo played like an NHL goalie and not an ECHL goalie?
Chychrun
If we made the playoffs you mean? And if Chychrun didn't play in the defensive zone like he was scared shitless of the puck?

Maybe

EDIT: Playoffs isn't necessarily what I meant. If Korpisalo played like an NHL goalie and not an ECHL goalie?
even with chychrun playing like he did. And brannstrom being small. And chabot playing like ass. We still don’t have THAT bad of a team defence relative to other NHL teams.

Yes. If korpisalo played well. Stopped the easy shots and some of the hard ones. Attitude towards the team and players would have been much much different.

We'll never know.....

Mind you, is Jensen not worth a late 1st?
I don’t think so. I think we could have squeezed them for more. (Or less). They’re tight to the cap now. Signed a defensive RD.

Reactions: guyzeur

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Chychrun

even with chychrun playing like he did. And brannstrom being small. And chabot playing like ass. We still don’t have THAT bad of a team defence relative to other NHL teams.

Yes. If korpisalo played well. Stopped the easy shots and some of the hard ones. Attitude towards the team and players would have been much much different.

I don’t think so. I think we could have squeezed them for more. (Or less). They’re tight to the cap now. Signed a defensive RD.
It's hard to say. Korpisalo playing to league average would have changed the team a lot, I agree. We'd still likely be looking to move Chycrun though, and it's essentially a rental, so...the return is never going to be very good.

Someone on the main board was saying how many things conspired against us last year -and I don't usually subscribe to that point of view, but f***, did things ever stack up (again] against us.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
It's hard to say. Korpisalo playing to league average would have changed the team a lot, I agree. We'd still likely be looking to move Chycrun though, and it's essentially a rental, so...the return is never going to be very good.

Someone on the main board was saying how many things conspired against us last year -and I don't usually subscribe to that point of view, but f***, did things ever stack up (again] against us.
I wouldn’t underestimate perception.

Korpisalo plays well the narrative around a lot of players changes.
“chychrun learning his offside!”
“Chabot back to his best?”
“Best young defence in the league”

Last year one true thing worked against us. And he has a name. And he played goalie.

Goaltending is the great equalizer. Play terrible and you get people fired and traded.

Play well you get people extensions and maybe even win your coach a jack adams.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It's interesting listening to Amadio on Coming in Hot talk about the importance of getting extra yrs in order to settle in with a new family. He mentions how important that is over some other things that young single guys don't have a need to think about.

Sens With Benefits

Feb 4, 2010
Canada
Buddy put up 10 pts in 16 playoff games and has playoff experience/Stanley cup. Just wish we kept him the first time. When so many people are saying that in such a small sample size that is impressive.

Reactions: Duncstar

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
That's not how it works, everyone with playoff experience and cup wins was pre destined to be so and thus keeping him here would have meant we'd have a cup...
If it works for getting injured playing for another team... its just a small stretch to move to cups.

Reactions: Micklebot

otown

Sep 4, 2009
A deep run in the playoffs is a showcase for role players and other GM's are watching to see who they might be able to scoop up.
Amadio may be just what the Sens need. Versatile 2 way player, not afraid of the physical game, and a strong work ethic!

Reactions: LiseL and Duncstar

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Chychrun

Jensen is trending down and I think Washington knew that.

A deep run in the playoffs is a showcase for role players and other GM's are watching to see who they might be able to scoop up.
Amadio may be just what the Sens need. Versatile 2 way player, not afraid of the physical game, and a strong work ethic!
I hope so; he seems to be the replacement for Kubalik who was not that useful.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
It's kinda funny that Mike Amadio is perhaps the only guy the Sens had and cut loose that actually went on to do anything in the NHL, and yet you never heard a peep about him on here. Remember all the gnashing of teeth and spilling of digital ink when Balcers, Chlapik, Wolanin, Jaros and Lajoie were waived? When Abramov went back to Russia?

Can you imagine the discourse if Balcers went somewhere and put up 10 points in 16 games in the playoffs for a Cup winner?

Weird how people get attached to certain players and not others.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
I only remember a stir being caused by the Balcers waiving and to be fair that was largely because there were guys like Galchenyuk on the roster at the time.

Wolanin wasn't waived, he got traded for Amadio. By that point most had given up on Wolanin bringing back his pre-injury level of play so Amadio's value was probably seen by most fans as equivalent to a waiver pickup. Balcers was a couple years younger than Amadio when they left Ottawa and being part of the Karlsson return would have benefitted Balcers' perceived value as a future player.

Hindsight 20/20 of Balcers not amounting to an NHL player doesn't make 8 games of Galchenyuk any better. It was just a silly decision by a GM who should have been trying harder to hang onto younger players.

Reactions: DrEasy

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
But yeah Amadio is an interesting case, I wouldn't have predicted he would be such a solid late bloomer. Seemed like a fringe/13th guy when he was here but he really stepped it up.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I only remember a stir being caused by the Balcers waiving and to be fair that was largely because there were guys like Galchenyuk on the roster at the time.

Wolanin wasn't waived, he got traded for Amadio. By that point most had given up on Wolanin bringing back his pre-injury level of play so Amadio's value was probably seen by most fans as equivalent to a waiver pickup. Balcers was a couple years younger than Amadio when they left Ottawa and being part of the Karlsson return would have benefitted Balcers' perceived value as a future player.

Hindsight 20/20 of Balcers not amounting to an NHL player doesn't make 8 games of Galchenyuk any better. It was just a silly decision by a GM who should have been trying harder to hang onto younger players.
For a young team trying to learn the ropes and how to put in the necessary effort, it was a curious decision to bring in a guy like Galchenyuk.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
It's kinda funny that Mike Amadio is perhaps the only guy the Sens had and cut loose that actually went on to do anything in the NHL, and yet you never heard a peep about him on here. Remember all the gnashing of teeth and spilling of digital ink when Balcers, Chlapik, Wolanin, Jaros and Lajoie were waived? When Abramov went back to Russia?

Can you imagine the discourse if Balcers went somewhere and put up 10 points in 16 games in the playoffs for a Cup winner?

It’s because Amadio wasn’t a prospect we drafted or perceived as skilled.

It takes people a long time to accept that the skilled fourth round pick that looked good in the AHL is usually just not an NHLer and the coach doesn’t actually have it out for them.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
The Chychrun who pplayed the first dozen games for us this past season was a really good top pairing D. He has it in him to be quite good.

I agree that he's overrated to a degree but more than anything we acquired him when there wasn't a suitable role for him and proceeded to tank his value only to sell him for much less only a year later. A true Dorion special.
He's a lazy player and Andlauer/Staios clearly think this team had a culture/effort problem under D.J.

They paid a steep price in trade value to fix it.

The moves , including the Green hiring, paint a really clear picture and make you wonder about the commitment of the guys that didn't survive the cull.

Kelly in particular is a head scratcher for me. Suspect it's as much about the personalities as it is their play.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
He's a lazy player and Andlauer/Staios clearly think this team had a culture/effort problem under D.J.

They paid a steep price in trade value to fix it.

The moves , including the Green hiring, paint a really clear picture and make you wonder about the commitment of the guys that didn't survive the cull.

Kelly in particular is a head scratcher for me. Suspect it's as much about the personalities as it is their play.
Again this narrative that Chychrun somehow hurt the culture is false unless you can provide proof.

Its a constant narrative that goes on around here when good players are traded from Ottawa

He is a top 4 LD who needs to be on the top PP unit. He was traded because he is the only one that could be traded outside him and a Chabby.

We got ripped on the deal with Washington but the sens are partly to blame for tanking his value

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It's interesting listening to Amadio on Coming in Hot talk about the importance of getting extra yrs in order to settle in with a new family. He mentions how important that is over some other things that young single guys don't have a need to think about.
The NMC is a big part of it too for family reasons.

I also doubt Jensen costs a 1st. If you could get a first for Chychrun, then Staios likely takes the offer and then flips a 2nd + something else for Jensen, that would’ve likely worked imo. The Matt Roy acquisition meant he was getting moved regardless.
Washington did not value Jensen very highly did they?

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
Who was Jensen partnered with? If Chabot has a good year, even with a probable 10-15 games worth of injury, watch Nick's #s rebound. I'm debating if he might be even better with Sanderson where as Chabot and Zub already have chemistry from past years.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Again this narrative that Chychrun somehow hurt the culture is false unless you can provide proof.

Its a constant narrative that goes on around here when good players are traded from Ottawa

He is a top 4 LD who needs to be on the top PP unit. He was traded because he is the only one that could be traded outside him and a Chabby.

We got ripped on the deal with Washington but the sens are partly to blame for tanking his value
I didn't say he hurt the culture. I said he was lazy.

Source: my eyeballs.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
The NMC is a big part of it too for family reasons.

Washington did not value Jensen very highly did they?
He shat himself pretty bad last year. No Orllov - which was his biggest partner. They took him away from Fehervary at one point and stuck him with van Riemsdyk and Sandin. It was a very off year for him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Do you think that might have something to do with being with the org for a grand total of 5 games as opposed to fans seeing the other guy progress through the system? Seems pretty natural that fans would grow attached to prospects they watched over multiple years more so than a guy that was ere for a cup of coffee.

Maybe it's not so much weird, but rather entirely predictable?

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad