Microsoft Xbox Discussion Part II

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I’m annoyed that Xbox hasn’t even attempted to market Dungeons of Hinterberg more. It’s summer, nothing is out, it’s a console exclusive on Game Pass, and it’s phenomenal. Everyone should play it.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I’m annoyed that Xbox hasn’t even attempted to market Dungeons of Hinterberg more. It’s summer, nothing is out, it’s a console exclusive on Game Pass, and it’s phenomenal. Everyone should play it.
"Xbox" and "Marketing" are two words that haven't really gone together since after the 360, to be fair.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I wouldn't be shocked to see Microsoft scoop up whatever DC gaming rights/properties to try and position it as a direct counterbalance to the Sony/Marvel partnership

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I wouldn't be shocked to see Microsoft scoop up whatever DC gaming rights/properties to try and position it as a direct counterbalance to the Sony/Marvel partnership
It's a very annoying case of console exclusivity. I'm wrapping up Spiderman on the PS5 now having never played it before until I got a playstation last month. It's an awesome game and a real shame it's PS only. I would hate if PS owners got locked out of a potentially awesome new Batman game

Reactions: Jovavic

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
Maybe someone can enlighten me on the "new" bull shit game pass.

If i play games online on both pc and console what gamepass do I need? I do NOT ever play the free games that comes with ultimate. I own my xbox pc games through steam.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
It's a 4 month window only because they need time to finish the port rather than it being a 'perk" for Xbox players.

Between towerborne, something people were looking forward to revealed to be F2P and steam getting early access first and now this? The Xbox brand might be cooked.

I'm not even sure I want to buy in to this ecosystem anymore.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It's a 4 month window only because they need time to finish the port rather than it being a 'perk" for Xbox players.

Between towerborne, something people were looking forward to revealed to be F2P and steam getting early access first and now this? The Xbox brand might be cooked.

I'm not even sure I want to buy in to this ecosystem anymore.
Expanded too quickly, and their hardware/gamepass numbers aren't going up. I wouldn't be shocked if this applies to everything under Bethesda and Activision going forward. It will be curious to see what happens with their more traditional IP, as the only non-Bethesda game brought over I believe has been Sea of Thieves.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Expanded too quickly, and their hardware/gamepass numbers aren't going up. I wouldn't be shocked if this applies to everything under Bethesda and Activision going forward. It will be curious to see what happens with their more traditional IP, as the only non-Bethesda game brought over I believe has been Sea of Thieves.
And Sea of Thieves at least made sense business wise; A live service, multiplayer game does better the more platforms its on. And it showed right away with how fast it moved copies on PS5. That's also something you can sell xbox players as a benefit since more people = game lives longer.

You could even argue Bethesda/activision makes sense as well. They were already mostly multiplatform, so why not just keep things as they are?

The real test will come when the big 4 are due new releases; Gears, Halo, Forza and Fable. Confidence in the brand is shaken but not completely demolished because there's no indication these games are going multiplatform...yet.

If i had to guess though, they'll see the increased profit from stuff like Indy, DOOM on top of stuff that already jumped like Sea of Thieves and go all in. The day Master Chief or Marcus Fenix appears on the playstation youtube channel in a trailer is the day the xbox brand is truly dead and buried.

And i'm not really the fanboy type. I play on all 3 consoles and i'm just more pissed off the decade+ investment i have in the Xbox ecosystem now might be worthless if they decide to go full 3 party and dump hardware. (Though if you had to ask me i do prefer xbox controllers/UI/etc)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
And Sea of Thieves at least made sense business wise; A live service, multiplayer game does better the more platforms its on. And it showed right away with how fast it moved copies on PS5. That's also something you can sell xbox players as a benefit since more people = game lives longer.

You could even argue Bethesda/activision makes sense as well. They were already mostly multiplatform, so why not just keep things as they are?

The real test will come when the big 4 are due new releases; Gears, Halo, Forza and Fable. Confidence in the brand is shaken but not completely demolished because there's no indication these games are going multiplatform...yet.

If i had to guess though, they'll see the increased profit from stuff like Indy, DOOM on top of stuff that already jumped like Sea of Thieves and go all in. The day Master Chief or Marcus Fenix appears on the playstation youtube channel in a trailer is the day the xbox brand is truly dead and buried.

And i'm not really the fanboy type. I play on all 3 consoles and i'm just more pissed off the decade+ investment i have in the Xbox ecosystem now might be worthless if they decide to go full 3 party and dump hardware. (Though if you had to ask me i do prefer xbox controllers/UI/etc)
While, I don't regret it, a major reason I built a gaming PC was for access to the upcoming Doom, and Indiana Jones (combined with whatever MachineGames was making next as I loved Wolfenstein), and to get better performance than my PS5 on most Third Party AAA games. And, it turns out pretty much what I wanted is coming to PS5 anyways now. I was happy to get to play Sunshine Overdrive finally, and Halo:Infinites (story) plus Psychonauts through GamePass (did the stacked trick in November of 2022 for 3 years). But, I'm in no rush to renew it at its new price when it expires in 2025 unless they really start locking down their release cadence of high-quality games.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The day Master Chief or Marcus Fenix appears on the playstation youtube channel in a trailer is the day the xbox brand is truly dead and buried.
Came here to say the same. Especially because no PS exclusives are coming back the other way to Xbox. Halo on Playstation would be kind of a slap in the face.
(Though if you had to ask me i do prefer xbox controllers/UI/etc)
Same.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
While, I don't regret it, a major reason I built a gaming PC was for access to the upcoming Doom, and Indiana Jones (combined with whatever MachineGames was making next as I loved Wolfenstein), and to get better performance than my PS5 on most Third Party AAA games. And, it turns out pretty much what I wanted is coming to PS5 anyways now. I was happy to get to play Sunshine Overdrive finally, and Halo:Infinites (story) plus Psychonauts through GamePass (did the stacked trick in November of 2022 for 3 years). But, I'm in no rush to renew it at its new price when it expires in 2025 unless they really start locking down their release cadence of high-quality games.
Yeah i'm starting to wonder if i goofed not building a PC.

I never had anything against PC gamers, i was just more of the "eh, i prefer to sit on my couch and the ease of console gaming" since it wasn't really possible to get everything under one roof or so to speak when i first got my xbox one.

Since then we've had playstation sort of warm up to the idea of dropping stuff on PC, Xbox spending roughly a decade getting shafted on specific genres (JRPGs being the biggest one)and now this push to go multiplatform leaves me with a library spread out over like 3 consoles and a feeling of "wait, that guy got them all in the same place" (outside of Nintendo stuff obviously, i have no issues buying their consoles because their games are actually worth the price of admission)

Not only that, the whole "i prefer my couch" thing is moot given i bought a fancy ass 144 hz monitor to play console games on...which is on my desk.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah i'm starting to wonder if i goofed not building a PC.

I never had anything against PC gamers, i was just more of the "eh, i prefer to sit on my couch and the ease of console gaming" since it wasn't really possible to get everything under one roof or so to speak when i first got my xbox one.

Since then we've had playstation sort of warm up to the idea of dropping stuff on PC, Xbox spending roughly a decade getting shafted on specific genres (JRPGs being the biggest one)and now this push to go multiplatform leaves me with a library spread out over like 3 consoles and a feeling of "wait, that guy got them all in the same place" (outside of Nintendo stuff obviously, i have no issues buying their consoles because their games are actually worth the price of admission)

Not only that, the whole "i prefer my couch" thing is moot given i bought a fancy ass 144 hz monitor to play console games on...which is on my desk.
Nintendo is perfectly positioned as the secondary consoles for most people. You buy it for the IPs and the portability (good way to kill time on a 5 hour flight). I use my PS5 for the PS5 exclusives (they are still coming out about 18 months to 2 years ahead of the PC releases generally, and while not exclusive is like the case for Rockstar games being a year ahead), plus 4K Dvd's. PC I play most 3rd party and Xbox exclusives outside say something like Street Fighter 6 where there isn't a stark performance difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,052.00