Men's League Last Night

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
It goes that way for all the kids and grandkids. We go watch our kids/grandkids in their stuff, whether it is lacrosse, indoor/outdoor soccer, minor hockey, horse jumping (future daughter in law rides equestrian), whatever it is we go and support them. It sets the tone that we support each other no matter what. Family values.

So this is a total aside - but when people talk about how expensive hockey is, I sometimes bring up "yeah but just look at how expensive equestrian is!". But that being said I'm just going off reputation, with no first hand experience. Is it really that expensive?

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
So this is a total aside - but when people talk about how expensive hockey is, I sometimes bring up "yeah but just look at how expensive equestrian is!". But that being said I'm just going off reputation, with no first hand experience. Is it really that expensive?
I don't get into specifics but they just carted a horse to Abbosford for a two week stint. (After entry, boarding, travel and hotels....a pretty penny, and that is just for one show)

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Friday night men's league, 10:30pm start time, which is late to begin with. But there's a U17AAA game on the ice which goes to overtime, so we're delayed. It's a twin arena so they're able to just move us over to the other ice sheet, but it's still a 10:45 puck drop.

During the game we offer to drop the flood we get after the 2nd period, but arena staff say they're obligated. We don't get off the ice until 12:15 am. Of course we have to stay for a beer, so don't leave until after 1am.

Ha! They lied!

I'm back at the same rink last night. It's hot outside (+33c). As I'm coming in rink attendant says "just so you guys know the ice isn't great. You can cancel and get your money back, or if you play we recommend you skip the flood after second period."

So we played (absolutely nobody wanted to just go home) and honestly the ice was ok. But it was stinking hot out there.

But my point is - they do have the ability to skip the flood! After all - we skipped it last night!

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Ha! They lied!

I'm back at the same rink last night. It's hot outside (+33c). As I'm coming in rink attendant says "just so you guys know the ice isn't great. You can cancel and get your money back, or if you play we recommend you skip the flood after second period."

So we played (absolutely nobody wanted to just go home) and honestly the ice was ok. But it was stinking hot out there.

But my point is - they do have the ability to skip the flood! After all - we skipped it last night!
Under normal circumstances, the flood is required. If the ice plant isn't working and the ice isn't freezing, then it can happen, but they are obligated to flood and you can't just skip it because you feel like it.

They were not lying.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Probably biggest comeback of my rec career - down 7-0 before the first is out. Tie the game with 12 seconds left or so and win the game in OT 11-10
meh, 11-10 sounds like a standard men's league score, doesn't matter how you got here.

Whenever I was on a team with a bad goalie we wouldn't get worried if the other team scored a few goals to start the game. We would always say on the bench, "hey, we knew going in we were gonna need double digits to win this game, being down 4-0 doesn't change that lol"

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Under normal circumstances, the flood is required. If the ice plant isn't working and the ice isn't freezing, then it can happen, but they are obligated to flood and you can't just skip it because you feel like it.

They were not lying.
Skipped a flood last night. 34C in Edmonton. Floods not freezing in almost 3 periods. No bueno.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Skipped a flood last night. 34C in Edmonton. Floods not freezing in almost 3 periods. No bueno.
That’s a mechanical issue. We regularly have days in the 90’s here and just a few weeks ago had a game when it was 100 out. No issues with the ice freezing.

Reactions: zeeto
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
That’s a mechanical issue. We regularly have days in the 90’s here and just a few weeks ago had a game when it was 100 out. No issues with the ice freezing.

Our old indoor sports facility was originally an old airplane mechanical shop (or something like that)

There were plenty of times in the 90-100+ degree weather where we played with the lights off and garage doors open. It helped a bit when the trains would go by and keep the place cool. It was definitely a sauna out there

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Our old indoor sports facility was originally an old airplane mechanical shop (or something like that)

There were plenty of times in the 90-100+ degree weather where we played with the lights off and garage doors open. It helped a bit when the trains would go by and keep the place cool. It was definitely a sauna out there
Nothing worse than finishing a game knowing whether you shower or not by the time you leave the locker room you will be in a full sweat again.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

I mean depends on what you mean by a "mechanical issue".

I don't think the ice plants in a lot of Edmonton rinks were ever designed to run in 30c+ temperatures. I've run into the exact issue @Slats432 mentioned - ice not freezing despite multiple periods. Heck - I bet I know the exact rink he's talking about.

Reactions: DaveG

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I mean depends on what you mean by a "mechanical issue".

I don't think the ice plants in a lot of Edmonton rinks were ever designed to run in 30c+ temperatures. I've run into the exact issue @Slats432 mentioned - ice not freezing despite multiple periods. Heck - I bet I know the exact rink he's talking about.
Millwoods.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
So the thread is "Men's league" but we have two ladies on our team.

One girl, "L", is pretty physically tough (but honestly not a great skater). Whatever, we're an extremely low level team, I know I suck, she fits right in.

Last night though - "L" felt like a player on the other team was being way to physical with her so she just blatantly, after the play, cross-checked the other guy. The other guy went flying.

Ref blows the whistle.

But he doesn't just call "L" - he calls the other guy for diving! I swear I don't think he dove - "L" just hit him that hard. Nevertheless our team just goes nuts for the call. She's awesome.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
vent: had a goalie hit in me in the head with a puck Friday night. my linemate had scored and I was skating back towards center ice when I felt something hit the back of my neck. I turned around and was like, "WTF????" not even realizing what it was. my SO (also on my line) kept saying, "let it go! it was an accident. he didn't mean it." and I realized the goalie, in a temper tantrum had flipped the puck up the ice. no apology, no remorse, no acknowledgement from him. Jerk. :mad:

karma did come around a few minutes later as he took a hard shot to the mask (not from me) and was down for a bit.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
vent: had a goalie hit in me in the head with a puck Friday night. my linemate had scored and I was skating back towards center ice when I felt something hit the back of my neck. I turned around and was like, "WTF????" not even realizing what it was. my SO (also on my line) kept saying, "let it go! it was an accident. he didn't mean it." and I realized the goalie, in a temper tantrum had flipped the puck up the ice. no apology, no remorse, no acknowledgement from him. Jerk. :evil:

karma did come around a few minutes later as he took a hard shot to the mask (not from me) and was down for a bit.

Wtf....goalie should have been profusely apoligizing after reailzing it hit you.

A lot of guys I know would have jumped him or ran him in the crease next possession.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Jesus Christ.. what a gongshow all around. Most (if not all) should be suspended and barred from that rink.

I never understood fighting in an adult/beer league game for any type of hockey.

Anyone who swung their stick as a weapon will probably be banned for life from the rink/league, it's bordering on criminality too. Ive seen lifetime bans for far more minor indiscretions.

And this way beayond fighting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad