OT - NO POLITICS Memorial Day & Here Comes Summah edition

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
A few years ago I threw back an edible when the lady was out of town, and spent stupid money on paintball gear at 2am. Not because I played a lot. I just wanted it, and the chocolate had me feeling froggy. I have fielded that gear 5 times in 3 years.

This week I did the same thing, but now it's golf. Just copped a new driver, a set of wedges, and a grip kit for my irons. Still in the market for a hybrid (because the last time I golfed with any regularity, hybrids were only just becoming a thing), and maybe a new putter. I usually golf once a year, twice max, depending on how many charity outings I get invited to where I'm allowed to play like shit and have a good time with other like minded hackers.

Nothing like throwing money at very expensive hobbies that I will juuuuust barely dip my toe in

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
A few years ago I threw back an edible when the lady was out of town, and spent stupid money on paintball gear at 2am. Not because I played a lot. I just wanted it, and the chocolate had me feeling froggy. I have fielded that gear 5 times in 3 years.

This week I did the same thing, but now it's golf. Just copped a new driver, a set of wedges, and a grip kit for my irons. Still in the market for a hybrid (because the last time I golfed with any regularity, hybrids were only just becoming a thing), and maybe a new putter. I usually golf once a year, twice max, depending on how many charity outings I get invited to where I'm allowed to play like shit and have a good time with other like minded hackers.

Nothing like throwing money at very expensive hobbies that I will juuuuust barely dip my toe in
Golf gets pricey lol I bought an m4 driver a few years ago and it was like $400 bucks but that's probably considered cheap when it comes to that sport.

• Love
Reactions: TD Charlie

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Golf gets pricey lol I bought an m4 driver a few years ago and it was like $400 bucks but that's probably considered cheap when it comes to that sport.
It can be. I'd say that's pretty strong money for a driver, but there are definitely newer twigs that go for much more. I cheaped out on the driver and went used, but I already own 2 drivers that work just fine for me so I didn't need another. Also, once I start swinging the new-to-me driver, I'm almost positive I'll get the itch and want to upgrade it with something newer. It's a very slippery slope!

@TD Charlie Frustrating too because I suck at golf and I'm always left thinking to myself "why'd i buy that again?" :laugh:
Yep. I told a buddy of mine about it and he said "spend the money on better wedges"

I replied, either way I'm chunking it from the fringe, or hitting a line drive 50 yards over the green

• Haha
Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
It can be. I'd say that's pretty strong money for a driver, but there are definitely newer twigs that go for much more. I cheaped out on the driver and went used, but I already own 2 drivers that work just fine for me so I didn't need another. Also, once I start swinging the new-to-me driver, I'm almost positive I'll get the itch and want to upgrade it with something newer. It's a very slippery slope!

Yep. I told a buddy of mine about it and he said "spend the money on better wedges"

I replied, either way I'm chunking it from the fringe, or hitting a line drive 50 yards over the green
The worst thing for me is I swing lefty just like how I play hockey and I probably would have hard time selling the thing.(the m4 driver)

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
The worst thing for me is I swing lefty just like how I play hockey and I probably would have hard time selling the thing.(the m4 driver)
I took lessons, probably around 25 years ago at this point. It was a week of camp at Ponkapoag in Canton. The instructors all found me to be a lost cause because they "couldn't make me forget how to play baseball." Something about how much I was throwing my hips into things. Probably why I slice so bad off the tee.

Can't change things now. It is what it is lol

• Haha
Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1719351672547.png

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Interesting story on our local news just now (CTV Kitchener) about Lorentz. His parents went to games 4, 5 and 6. His father said the Panthers organization told them not to be around for game 7 because it was a distraction so they had to leave and watch the game from home. His Dad was breaking down talking about it. He is a very proud father and it must have felt awful to be sent home. I wonder if they did that to all families?

• Wow
Reactions: Ladyfan

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Interesting story on our local news just now (CTV Kitchener) about Lorentz. His parents went to games 4, 5 and 6. His father said the Panthers organization told them not to be around for game 7 because it was a distraction so they had to leave and watch the game from home. His Dad was breaking down talking about it. He is a very proud father and it must have felt awful to be sent home. I wonder if they did that to all families?
Sounds to me like there's more to this story? I'd assume that roster players get a ticket allocation to purchase, no?

Reactions: caz16

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Sounds to me like there's more to this story? I'd assume that roster players get a ticket allocation to purchase, no?

Yeah, something aint right there.
Somethings missing.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
First thunderstorm in my new place. Was looking forward to watching the lightning but it’s coming with wind up to 85mph. My closet is ready.
I can't imagine those winds - my biggest weather fear. When it is 85 km (52mph) here, that is windy!
I hope you got some sleep!

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I can't imagine those winds - my biggest weather fear. When it is 85 km (52mph) here, that is windy!
I hope you got some sleep!
We got lucky the real strong winds gusted out but we still got some and the rain and hail against my window woke me up out of a dead sleep. The lightning was crazy.

A lot of people in the northeast part of the metro don’t have power and our temp is supposed to be 100 with a feels like of 116. Hopefully they can restore power before it gets too hot. They are setting up cooling shelters so fingers crossed these people can get some relief.

• Wow

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
What’s everyone’s summer vacation plans?

We head to my wife’s hometown in Western New York for a week each year and I eat my weight in chicken wings and Beef on Weck sandwiches. Plus it’s a short hop to Canada!

The Bride and I are taking a cruise. Boston-Bermuda-Bar Harbor Maine-Boston.
Looking forward to it.
Bermuda and Bar Harbor are 2 of my favorite places on earth.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

We head to my wife’s hometown in Western New York for a week each year and I eat my weight in chicken wings and Beef on Weck sandwiches. Plus it’s a short hop to Canada!
Week of the full moon in August

1719443877579.png

A couple of years ago we got the back end of a hurricane and they had to reef the sails. Water was coming in the scuppers.

It was wild and so fun.
1719445750511.png

Last edited:

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY

Kinda stinks that we haven't been able to make plans....

30 year anniversary Aug 27, maybe Niagara Falls since it's on the NY bucket list

Waiting for GC to hear back from electrician and plumber estimates , so one that happens we will probably be making a few trips to Ellsworth Maine

Hey Wally next year you can stop by on the way to Bar Harbor!

Reactions: Gee Wally

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Here's an easy one for a Wednesday.

What's your favorite style of pizza?

I enjoy them all.

I like sardines, anchovies and pineapple. But not on a pizza,

Reactions: BMC and caz16

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario

I enjoy them all.

I absolutely LOVE Hawaiian! I didn't have pizza until we moved to Canada, took me a while to discover the Hawaiian and it was my favourite from the first time I had it.

Johnny Upton

Jul 5, 2003
Boston

I enjoy them all.

Bacon and jalapeño. A little salty, and a little spicy.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad