OT - NO POLITICS Memorial Day & Here Comes Summah edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Hope everyone is surviving the green death. Seems to be at peak now. Hosed off my car and it's coated in pollen again an hour later. I think it's the pine trees. I like them...just not this time of year.
I drove into a neighborhood once and thought there was a fire. It was the pine trees releasing pollen

Reactions: Ladyfan

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I got a car wash the other day and it looks the same as it did before I got it. I should have just torn up the money and tossed it into the air instead.

I will probably hose the car down but between the pollen and sand from beach season, probably wont be heading to the car wash until summer road trips

Reactions: Johnny Upton

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I got a car wash the other day and it looks the same as it did before I got it. I should have just torn up the money and tossed it into the air instead.
When I got my new car (a year ago) I read that because of all of the cameras and new technology you should not take the car through a car wash so I purchased some stuff and do it myself. Kind of like the old days !

Johnny Upton

Jul 5, 2003
Boston
I will probably hose the car down but between the pollen and sand from beach season, probably wont be heading to the car wash until summer road trips
I always tell myself that maybe the pollen won’t be as bad this year, and every year I’m wrong 🤣

When I got my new car (a year ago) I read that because of all of the cameras and new technology you should not take the car through a car wash so I purchased some stuff and do it myself. Kind of like the old days !
I need to do the same! It would be worth it, I think.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Comparing Ruths Chris to Connors cheese cake

Attachments

• IMG_2579.jpeg
    IMG_2579.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1829.jpeg
    IMG_1829.jpeg
    276.6 KB · Views: 2

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
We have cedar trees everywhere here and they are brutal. The pollen just gets blown around so there is no escaping it.

I hope the green settles down soon for you guys!

Reactions: caz16

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
For those who feed the hummingbirds, are you seeing as many as usual? We normally see them at the feeder constantly. This year I have seen them about 5 times total, it is really strange. I belong to an Ontario bird group on FB and almost everyone is reporting the same. There are some people from further north who said they are seeing the average amount but here in SW Ontario, they are few and far between. It is worrying.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
For those who feed the hummingbirds, are you seeing as many as usual? We normally see them at the feeder constantly. This year I have seen them about 5 times total, it is really strange. I belong to an Ontario bird group on FB and almost everyone is reporting the same. There are some people from further north who said they are seeing the average amount but here in SW Ontario, they are few and far between. It is worrying.

Mine came late this year. Usually arrive end of April. This year it was weeks later into May.

And yes, my feeder is much less active so far. 😟

• Wow
Reactions: caz16 and Ladyfan

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
1717559069400.png

Florida? Nope

A flamingo was spotted on a Cape Cod beach in Dennis on Sunday afternoon a “monumentally rare” sighting, and it is believed to be the first wild flamingo of its kind to be seen in Massachusetts, said Mark Faherty, a science coordinator at the Mass Audubon in Cape Cod.

“This is monumentally rare,” Faherty said. “Anytime you can get a first state record — that’s a big deal.”

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I'll be in Detroit all of next week for work. Gonna go see Michigan Central Station in person on Tuesday. I've been looking at that iconic building since 2010 and I wish I had a time lapse photo montage. Its come a long way, and hopefully its symbolic for the city too. Been working in Detroit Metro area for 15 years, now. Its great to see the green sprouts of recovery happening. Still a long, long way to go for the city, but they are definitely on the right track. When Detroit can stand on its own, without Dan Gilbert, the Illitch family, or Ford privately funding its recovery, that will be a great day.

There's a grim determination, and pride from the residents of that city that I love. I'm rooting for them.

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
View attachment 879649

Florida? Nope

A flamingo was spotted on a Cape Cod beach in Dennis on Sunday afternoon a “monumentally rare” sighting, and it is believed to be the first wild flamingo of its kind to be seen in Massachusetts, said Mark Faherty, a science coordinator at the Mass Audubon in Cape Cod.

“This is monumentally rare,” Faherty said. “Anytime you can get a first state record — that’s a big deal.”

Wow. Really poses the questions - where did it come from, and why?

Reactions: caz16 and Fenway

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I just checked out the weather since there is a severe thunderstorm watch up and immediately my brain saw a spoked B - guess what? It is exactly where I live, coincidence? I think not!

1717606829455.jpeg

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I'll be in Detroit all of next week for work. Gonna go see Michigan Central Station in person on Tuesday. I've been looking at that iconic building since 2010 and I wish I had a time lapse photo montage. Its come a long way, and hopefully its symbolic for the city too. Been working in Detroit Metro area for 15 years, now. Its great to see the green sprouts of recovery happening. Still a long, long way to go for the city, but they are definitely on the right track. When Detroit can stand on its own, without Dan Gilbert, the Illitch family, or Ford privately funding its recovery, that will be a great day.

There's a grim determination, and pride from the residents of that city that I love. I'm rooting for them.

100%.

My formative years were the1970s. Detroit was an absolute mess -- "Murder Captial of the World" -- with mayor for life Coleman Young and an almost non-existent tax base due to the "white flight" that began in the early '60s.

It was a terrible, terrible time for the city, and the awfulness would continue for nearly forty years. Detroit is a huge city (Boston and Manhattan would easily fit within its confines). During this time, entire neighborhoods were abandoned. There was no money for streetlights after dark. When I returned in late 2007, Mayor Kwami Kilpatrick was on his way to jail.

1717607123382.png

Detroit Free Press sports columnist Mitch Albom (Tuesday's With Morrie) wrote a piece for Sports Illustrated

which rightly would have been titled, "Detroit Is Not Shit on the Shoe of America."

Fast forward to 2024 and see a city at long last reborn, however many problems persist.

I always had a thing for Boston and the Big Bad Bruins.

I wanted out of Detroit. I got my wish attending Emerson in 1982. Since then, Boston, Massachusetts, and New England have been my spiritual home in every way that matters. I love London and Paris (not NYC), but you couldn't pay me to live anywhere else.

That said, I greatly admire those who chose to stay in, and make a stand for, the city of Detroit.

Like Bostonians, Detroiters are a resilient, recalcitrant sort not easily deterred nor dismissed.

I wish them every success.

Reactions: Ladyfan and BMC

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
My sons asked the Bride what she wanted for Mother’s Day. She picked to go on a hike with baby goats. Yeah, you read that right. We have a private family hike set up for this Saturday. Should be interesting.

As cool as this sounds, I think I'm mostly jealous that a woman was asked what she wanted, gave an honest and realistic answer, and that request is being fulfilled no questions asked. Almost unheard of.

Seriously though, have a great day! Sounds like a nice casual family experience that everyone can enjoy

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Hudson Valley
mid 80s
Lots of pollen and sneezing
air quality alert again

can we fast forward to October?

less than a year left in the vampire state

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad