Post-Game Talk: Meltdown in Motown - Bruins lose their first game in regulation to the Wings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022
Liked seeing JVR get a grindy goal then muck it up for most of the game. Few of those wings could use a humbling the way they were playing tonight. Seider is a stud but if you start getting a little loose with those forearms and punches someone who can handle themselves is eventually going to run you

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Fustrating to watch say the least. Refs were atrocious. But you gotta win these games. Adversity is here. Down some of our top d-men. Gotta push through. We were going to lose eventually. Move past this one and start fresh next game.
It’s easy to blow off…at minimum…the refs will positively put their hands on the game and ruin it single-handedly for Bruins at least 2-3 times a season. Just chalk tonight up

And yeah, half the D is out, I have a pretty low bar right now.

mxcrossb

Mar 29, 2023
Osaka
Shoutout to Lindholm and Marchand for finding a way to clock out early. I thought the Wings were way too “hands on” with JDR so I appreciated some retaliation late. Those last goals felt like a depth issue… the next few games will be tough.

bruinsfan1970

Global Moderator
Staff member
Aug 9, 2010
Lovely Lakes Of NH
The one thing that gets me upset is you never know when these Refs are going to make a call or not. The Wings were guilty of a few penalties in the third. I feel that a infraction at anytime during a game should be called. Inconsistency on the refs is what hurts the game. The Bruins played a very sloppy game as there were to many rebounds by Ullmark. I still say that Poitras is one of the best playmakers for rookies. He seems to have that magnetic stick where the puck seems to stay on his stick. I now have a favorite player to watch and it feels good when he scores a goal or gets an assist.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
From the first penalty to Carlo, the game became a circus. The PK has been amazing but without Charlie, Grizz and Forbort, it has been weakened immensely. Those two PP goals were the difference and the refs kept feeding the Wings power plays, so it was inevitable. The flopping by Detroit was an embarrassment, I loathe players that lie on the ice to milk a call. Larkin is a master.

First regulation loss, not bad. Let's see how they respond tomorrow.

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Short on top defenders and one of the goalies has a rare less than stellar performance and this is the result. Don't think Ullmark was bad by any means but there were one or two he'd probably like to have gotten something on. But sometimes that's going to happen and then the lapses in defensive coverage become more noticeable.

Hockey can be a funny game - in the 2nd period the Bruins got outshot 12-3 at 5v5, 3 high danger chances against to 1, but they scored 1 and the only goal conceded was on a Detroit PP. Whereas in the 3rd they actually looked better and much more in the contest for the most part, but in was in that 20 that the defensive breakdowns and a little bad luck really hurt them. Arguably just some poor play catching up to them eventually.

Bit of a chastising night for the youngsters perhaps. Poitras scored a really nice goal but his line got dominated and the stats aren't pretty. The Bruins are probably lucky that Lalonde maybe missed a trick in only giving Larkin's line 1:30 against Poitras', because in that short time the shot count was 7-0 in their favor, including 4 high danger chances to 0. Not all on Matt of course, Freddy and Geekie have responsibility for that too, but just not a great game for that trio. And similarly the numbers don't flatter Lohrei either. From the eye test I don't think he was terrible by any means, but he got a close look at a quality NHL offense that was really pressing hard at times and found out how hard it can be to contain. That's ok, good learning experience for the kid, and he certainly wasn't alone in finding some of the going tough.

Obviously Carlo and Lindy are the Bruins' best remaining defenders and a natural top pair in the absence of McAvoy etc., but I wonder if Monty would be better served splitting them up against Dallas. As a pair they definitely held their own, but the remaining 4 guys got cut up pretty bad and so I'm not sure it was a net benefit. Lohrei with Carlo and Lindholm with Shattenkirk or Mitchell perhaps?

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Didn’t feel great. They were sloppy.

However, with 3 d down and a bunch of points bagged it isn’t the worst loss and I’m just looking forward to the next two. I’d love to see Lohrei play 2 more solid games and force is way into the top 6 even when healthy. Also I liked Poitras last night but felt the 3rd line was a bit disjointed. If they can get some chemistry there I love the current lines.

Reactions: Gordoff

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Detroit is going to be a force in the Atlantic for the next few years.
If they officiating like last night I agree. Embarrassing to the sport the diving and grabbing faces laying on the ice and phantom call to get them back in the game.

Bruins where in control until they had to spend the rest of the night on the kill.

Calling them a force is a little over the top, Bruins will mop the ice with that team if healthy.

If we get to add 5-6 hurt guys back to that lineup, plus all that cap space next year...

I'm still very happy
Bruins are and will continue to be the cream of the crop. Getting #6 #51 #19 in the line up is incredibly understated

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad