Post-Game Talk: Meltdown in Motown - Bruins lose their first game in regulation to the Wings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
You have any idea how many hits #19 has? Guy is 6:03 and a fast skater but I can't recall anyone he has layed out.

I‘m old and just rely on my eyes and I agree.

TBH, of all the stats/metrics that are somewhat subjective, I‘m more skeptical about what the “official” numbers are when it comes to hits, than anything else.

I‘ve seen periods or games where the Bruins seem to be hammering the opponent at every turn and the stats end up being in favor of the other team and vice versa.

I guess what I’m looking for is 4 - 5 guys who have the willingness and ability to lay someone out (cleanly) once or twice every 2 to 3 games, while consistently throwing just basic hits, every shift.

With McAvoy and Looch out, they currently have nobody willing to do that. Frederick and Beecher both have the size and skating ability to do it, but they don’t seem to have the willingness on a consistent basis.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
I love the fact that Pasta is willing to hit when the opportunity presents itself….but he's literally the last guy on this team that I want doing it.

Frederic simply has to start hitting and they need to find someone else beyond Looch and Lauko in the bottom 6 (I won’t even waste my time asking for them to find a top 6 guy who does it) that is willing to throw 3-4 legit hits per game.

I felt this way even when they were 5-0, 6-0 etc. And not because they lost last night.
I was thinking that as well about Frederic but when I look at his stats he really isn't much of a hitter. 105 hits overall last year. 14 so far this year.
What I'd like to see from him is just more. Caught him coasting a few times last night. Play like the snot nosed punk he started out as.

I loved Steens hustle last night. 9 minutes of ice time he got 1 sog, 2 hits, 2 blocked shots.

There's something just missing in our Top 6. And our PP....16.7%? Around 25th place.Oy!!!!

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I was thinking that as well about Frederic but when I look at his stats he really isn't much of a hitter. 105 hits overall last year. 14 so far this year.
What I'd like to see from him is just more. Caught him coasting a few times last night. Play like the snot nosed punk he started out as.

I loved Steens hustle last night. 9 minutes of ice time he got 1 sog, 2 hits, 2 blocked shots.

There's something just missing in our Top 6. And our PP....16.7%? Around 25th place.Oy!!!!
We need d with more threatening shots, and at least one more good, skilled forward, preferably a center. PP will be a major problem unless they make these changes.

Reactions: nORRis8

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
[/QUOTE]
11 games into the season and Poitras is on pace for 30 goals and 50+ points. Currently sitting 3rd on the team in goals and 1pt out of being top 3 in points among Bruins. Funny thing is he's a distributor, but hasn't been racking up assist (not his fault).

They need to incorporate him on PP1. That play and pass on the boards was absolutely top 6F PP1 level.

Montgomery I am sure doesn't want him carrying the burden of a top 6C at 19 years old on a contending team in transition.

I would give him an opportunity on PP1 though, where his strengths can be exploited
and any defensive liabilities minimized.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
I'm very satisfied with the Bruin's . 2 of our top 4D out. Rookies filing in for injured vets are doing a decent job.

We're sitting on top of the East in pts and goal differential. Goalies are playing great. It can only get better when the B's get past some of these injuries.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta

They need to incorporate him on PP1. That play and pass on the boards was absolutely top 6F PP1 level.

Montgomery I am sure doesn't want him carrying the burden of a top 6C at 19 years old on a contending team in transition.

I would give him an opportunity on PP1 though, where his strengths can be exploited
and any defensive liabilities minimized.
[/QUOTE]

Kid is playing great. And I might be repeating myself but I can't believe the maturity he has with the puck in either zone. Doesn't panic just makes the right play.

Side point.....After 11 games the figLeafs Bertuzzi sits 2 g 1 a after 11 games.
5.5 million per year!!!
ouch!!!

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Didn't get to watch most of this one, Detroits offense is the real deal but fully healthy I think the Bs defense shuts them down. No worries, 1 regulation loss and onto another tough matchup against Dallas.

Detroit's goaltending and D Corp (beyond Seider\Walmark) isn't very strong. They will need to bring up Edvinsonn soon on their D and will need an upgrade on Reimer to
increase their chances of grabbing a PO spot.

BradMarchandismydad

Nov 22, 2016
Boston
Your 4th line C being a “black hole offensively” is not really an issue. You want your 4C to be defensively sound and anything extra is gravy.

As he gets more comfortable I’m sure he’ll improve on the offensive end.

No issues with him in his role so far

I mean it’s certainly not a plus.

Beecher hasn’t shown offensive talent at any level and at some point you want some points out of your bottom six.

Projecting for 7 points in a full 82 game season is sub-optimal. Nosek put up 18 in 66 last year.

I’m not concerned with his output quite yet but you absolutely want more offensively once he gets up to speed.

Reactions: nORRis8

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I think at dome point Lohrie will see pp time but monty likely wants a few practices for him. Maybe he doesn’t want to put to much on his plate right away. It’s been 2games
Why aren’t they putting out the same unit in each position as last year. Just get a right shot in the spot for Bergeron. This is rediculous.

Reactions: Gordoff and lopey

nonoffensiveusername

May 23, 2009
First time watching a full game this year. My first reaction was: WOW, Jack Edwards does not sound the same. He doesn't sound well. How long has he been slurring words and speaking very slowly?

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
First time watching a full game this year. My first reaction was: WOW, Jack Edwards does not sound the same. He doesn't sound well. How long has he been slurring words and speaking very slowly?
Last year. We all kind of assume he either had a stroke or something, but last year was...bad. he was struggling every game. To me, its clear he did some speech therapy because he talks much slower to get the words out. Its better than last year without a doubt. To me, it sounds like aphasia. But this is all speculation, as nobody has spoken out about it.

Reactions: Gordoff and caz16

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Dallas is coming of being shutout snaps are defensively much sounder than Detroit, especially in net.

All things considered Poitras had a pretty decent game. You should really be looking at Geekie and Frederic for the way the line was outshot and outchanced. Montgomery doesn't want to put the burden of being a top 6C on an 19 year old kid, so he is saddling him with offensive boat anchors in 11\39, its really that simple. In addition
that defense Corp that played last night is not PO caliber.

I'm not trying to lay it all on Poitras. For sure his linemates bear responsibility too and I said as much, especially as they're the more experienced players. The whole trio just didn't get the job done last night.

I'd object to 11 and 39 being described as not having any offense though. Neither player is a great offensive talent, neither is top 6-calibre, but they have skills and they can produce - Frederic has a 17-goal season and Geekie can make some smart plays, especially around the net. They're never going to put up a ton of points but the potential to make a positive impact on the scoreboard is still there. Besides, there's a difference between generating possession, O zone time and chances, and actually scoring. Last night the main problem wasn't that they couldn't create good scoring chances, it was that they simply couldn't get the puck and spent a lot of time chasing the game. That's not a talent problem, it's one either of effort or of simply getting outplayed and outsmarted. Just have to own it and try and do better next time.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Last year. We all kind of assume he either had a stroke or something, but last year was...bad. he was struggling every game. To me, its clear he did some speech therapy because he talks much slower to get the words out. Its better than last year without a doubt. To me, it sounds like aphasia. But this is all speculation, as nobody has spoken out about it.
I agree that it seems like aphasia because my Dad had it, it is similar. If it is, I am very sad for Jack, it is devastating.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
Lauko is at least as fast as Geekie and seems quite a bit harder to play against. Heinen had a very strong game against Detroit. Once Lauko comes back, I see Geekie taking a seat most nights. And once Lucic comes back, what then?

Reactions: Gordoff

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Heinen had 3 more minutes of ice time than Frederic did.

Blowing 2-goal leads, no matter who's in the lineup, not a good thing.

Lindholm with his first point of the season in game 11. What's up there?

Looks like the magic is gone from Marchand's game.

TobanWest

Jan 28, 2020
Folks I went to the BU/North Dakota game and left my phone at home - I am fine
Great to hear. Have had people go missing with tragic outcomes. Love to see at the tend of the day people here care and you can book it 😉

Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad