Post-Game Talk: Meltdown in Motown - Bruins lose their first game in regulation to the Wings

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
From the first penalty to Carlo, the game became a circus. The PK has been amazing but without Charlie, Grizz and Forbort, it has been weakened immensely. Those two PP goals were the difference and the refs kept feeding the Wings power plays, so it was inevitable. The flopping by Detroit was an embarrassment, I loathe players that lie on the ice to milk a call. Larkin is a master.

First regulation loss, not bad. Let's see how they respond tomorrow.

Dallas is coming of being shutout snaps are defensively much sounder than Detroit, especially in net.
Short on top defenders and one of the goalies has a rare less than stellar performance and this is the result. Don't think Ullmark was bad by any means but there were one or two he'd probably like to have gotten something on. But sometimes that's going to happen and then the lapses in defensive coverage become more noticeable.

Hockey can be a funny game - in the 2nd period the Bruins got outshot 12-3 at 5v5, 3 high danger chances against to 1, but they scored 1 and the only goal conceded was on a Detroit PP. Whereas in the 3rd they actually looked better and much more in the contest for the most part, but in was in that 20 that the defensive breakdowns and a little bad luck really hurt them. Arguably just some poor play catching up to them eventually.

Bit of a chastising night for the youngsters perhaps. Poitras scored a really nice goal but his line got dominated and the stats aren't pretty. The Bruins are probably lucky that Lalonde maybe missed a trick in only giving Larkin's line 1:30 against Poitras', because in that short time the shot count was 7-0 in their favor, including 4 high danger chances to 0. Not all on Matt of course, Freddy and Geekie have responsibility for that too, but just not a great game for that trio. And similarly the numbers don't flatter Lohrei either. From the eye test I don't think he was terrible by any means, but he got a close look at a quality NHL offense that was really pressing hard at times and found out how hard it can be to contain. That's ok, good learning experience for the kid, and he certainly wasn't alone in finding some of the going tough.

Obviously Carlo and Lindy are the Bruins' best remaining defenders and a natural top pair in the absence of McAvoy etc., but I wonder if Monty would be better served splitting them up against Dallas. As a pair they definitely held their own, but the remaining 4 guys got cut up pretty bad and so I'm not sure it was a net benefit. Lohrei with Carlo and Lindholm with Shattenkirk or Mitchell perhaps?

All things considered Poitras had a pretty decent game. You should really be looking at Geekie and Frederic for the way the line was outshot and outchanced. Montgomery doesn't want to put the burden of being a top 6C on an 19 year old kid, so he is saddling him with offensive boat anchors in 11\39, its really that simple. In addition
that defense Corp that played last night is not PO caliber.

Reactions: Healthy Wrap

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
If they officiating like last night I agree. Embarrassing to the sport the diving and grabbing faces laying on the ice and phantom call to get them back in the game.

Bruins where in control until they had to spend the rest of the night on the kill.

Calling them a force is a little over the top, Bruins will mop the ice with that team if healthy.

Bruins are and will continue to be the cream of the crop. Getting #6 #51 #19 in the line up is incredibly understated

Beecher is a black hole offensively and doesn't belong anywhere near Poitras in talking
about contributions to the teams start. His only contribution is at the dot, that's literally it.

Rather see Megna, Merkulov or Farinacci get a look than Beecher.

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Dallas is coming of being shutout snaps are defensively much sounder than Detroit, especially in net.

All things considered Poitras had a pretty decent game. You should really be looking at Geekie and Frederic for the way the line was outshot and outchanced. Montgomery doesn't want to put the burden of being a top 6C on an 19 year old kid, so he is saddling him with offensive boat anchors in 11\39, its really that simple. In addition
that defense Corp that played last night is not PO caliber.
Unfortunately we’re still seeing the Playoffs Frederic and not last season’s regular season Frederic.

Reactions: Gordoff and lopey

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Beecher is a black hole offensively and doesn't belong anywhere near Poitras in talking
about contributions to the teams start. His only contribution is at the dot, that's literally it.

Beecher has been solid I have no idea what you’re watching. He’s 4C.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston

Merkulov? lolol

Beecher after 11 games you have seen enough? He's a fourth liner that's killing penalties and wins key defensive zone face offs. He sucks lol

Bring up another soft one dimensional Merkulov who in the preseason could not keep up.

Farninacci will get his chance, Megna? Sure if we get down three forwards

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
I agree Beacher has been perfect fo the 4th line role. Jack Missed it but Beacher crushed one of the wings in open ice hit.

Reactions: Spjutmuren and 3B

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Which ref got first star??
Champagne corks were popping in their dressing room is my understanding.

This game gave us a hint of what is missing in this team, toughness as what was apparent in last year's playoffs.
Yes Looch is out and so is McAvoy but the only two guys I saw throwing hits out there were Steen and Pasta.
Detroit as a team instigated the flow of the game. We did not deserve to be up 3-2 after two.

We leave Detroit healthy off the ice and we can be grateful no one was shot at or stabbed outside the building.:thumbu:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Champagne corks were popping in their dressing room is my understanding.

This game gave us a hint of what is missing in this team, toughness as what was apparent in last year's playoffs.
Yes Looch is out and so is McAvoy but the only two guys I saw throwing hits out there were Steen and Pasta.
Detroit as a team instigated the flow of the game. We did not deserve to be up 3-2 after two.

We leave Detroit healthy off the ice and we can be grateful no one was shot at or stabbed outside the building.:thumbu:

I love the fact that Pasta is willing to hit when the opportunity presents itself….but he's literally the last guy on this team that I want doing it.

Frederic simply has to start hitting and they need to find someone else beyond Looch and Lauko in the bottom 6 (I won’t even waste my time asking for them to find a top 6 guy who does it) that is willing to throw 3-4 legit hits per game.

I felt this way even when they were 5-0, 6-0 etc. And not because they lost last night.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I love the fact that Pasta is willing to hit when the opportunity presents itself….but he's literally the last guy on this team that I want doing it.

Frederic simply has to start hitting and they need to find someone else beyond Looch and Lauko in the bottom 6 (I won’t even waste my time asking for them to find a top 6 guy who does it) that is willing to throw 3-4 legit hits per game.

I felt this way even when they were 5-0, 6-0 etc. And not because they lost last night.

You have any idea how many hits #19 has? Guy is 6:03 and a fast skater but I can't recall anyone he has layed out.

• Haha
Reactions: bruinsfan1968

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Megna is 33 years old and has proven over 200+ NHL games that he is a black hole on offense, and he isn't on a level with Beecher n terms of skating, and defence

Farinacci might be interesting at some point

Merkulov showed in camp he isn't close to NHL ready especially at C

Reactions: Gordoff and lopey

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Megna is 33 years old and has proven over 200+ NHL games that he is a black hole on offense, and he isn't on a level with Beecher n terms of skating, and defence

Farinacci might be interesting at some point

Merkulov showed in camp he isn't close to NHL ready especially at C

That's far from proven regarding each ones defensive game. Beechet hasn't proven anything beyond his FO ability.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I only saw the highlights so I probably didn't get the same feel for the game as those who saw the game but from what I saw it didn't really look like Linus' best game. With that said, two goals I found to be quite fortunate for the wings.
One the shooter whiffs on the initial shot and Linus bites and is then compromised. The other off the crossbar straight on to the stick of a Red Wing for the easy open net goal. Lohrei lost his man there so......anyway your not gonna win them all. Looking at the boxscore, WTF with all those penalties. You're not gonna win a lot of gamed when you spend half of it shorthanded.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Disappointing game, had the pts right there, can`t win em` all, forget about it and move on. Great to see Poitras back on the scoresheet, this team needs him, be nice to get Frederic going and at least some production from the 4th line every now and then

Reactions: Gordoff

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
11 games into the season and Poitras is on pace for 30 goals and 50+ points. Currently sitting 3rd on the team in goals and 1pt out of being top 3 in points among Bruins. Funny thing is he's a distributor, but hasn't been racking up assist (not his fault).

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Your 4th line C being a “black hole offensively” is not really an issue. You want your 4C to be defensively sound and anything extra is gravy.

As he gets more comfortable I’m sure he’ll improve on the offensive end.

No issues with him in his role so far

4th line players are supposed to bring physicality and I can't remember one single hit of any consequence from him. In fact I have seen close to more physicality literally from Danton Heinen in two games than Beecher in his games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad