Proposal: McGroarty to Montreal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
To Montreal :

1. Rutger McGroarty
To Winnipeg
  1. CAL/FLA 1st. If the pick lands in the top 10 CAL keeps the pick and Winnipeg gets Florida’ 1st. Most likely in the range 24-32.
  2. Montreal 2nd. Probably in the 33-41 range.
  3. Pittsburgh 2nd. Most likely in the 43-52 range.
Montreal gets a young, physical player with a good shot that is NHL ready and that fit their roster like a glove. Montreal doesn’t need anymore late picks or 2nd as their prospect pool is overflowing and they need quality and NHL ready player. It’s time to consolidate all those assets into something tangible. They also don’t have a top 6 powerforward prospect in their pool. Especially not with a shot like that.

Winnipeg will now have two 1st and two 2nd. Including their own 1st, they will now have 4 picks in the first 55 picks of next year draft that is expected to be a really good one.

If they want to contend they can use those picks to upgrade their roster.

Or if they want to play the two timeline game they can use those picks to add to their prospect pool for the future. The players they draft in this draft should be ready to take over when their current core ages out of their prime. That’s assuming they hit on those picks of course. They can also combine those picks in some way to move up in the draft. Pretty sure they could combine 2 lates 1st into a mid-first and both of those early 2nd into a late-mid 1st. Either way, they can get creative with it.

The CAL/FLA 1st has a small chance to be a very good one. Small chance Calgary finishes in the 11-15 range if they overperform/don’t tank properly.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Oh man this thread is sure to get locked.

Anything having to do with McGroarty in the main board doesn’t last long.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
The original Rutger thread went 64 pages on the main boards, 1600 posts for a prospect who never has played in the NHL.
Why did the rest get locked within the first 25-50 posts I wonder.

My guess would be that Rutger isn’t an NHL player but an NCAA player and we’re worried that some type of litigation would come against HF boards because of the mention of the Rutger McGroarty without the express written consent of the NCAA.

• Haha
Reactions: Evergreen

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
To Montreal :

1. Rutger McGroarty
To Winnipeg
  1. CAL/FLA 1st. If the pick lands in the top 10 CAL keeps the pick and Winnipeg gets Florida’ 1st. Most likely in the range 24-32.
  2. Montreal 2nd. Probably in the 33-41 range.
  3. Pittsburgh 2nd. Most likely in the 43-52 range.
Montreal gets a young, physical player with a good shot that is NHL ready and that fit their roster like a glove. Montreal doesn’t need anymore late picks or 2nd as their prospect pool is overflowing and they need quality and NHL ready player. It’s time to consolidate all those assets into something tangible. They also don’t have a top 6 powerforward prospect in their pool. Especially not with a shot like that.

Winnipeg will now have two 1st and two 2nd. Including their own 1st, they will now have 4 picks in the first 55 picks of next year draft that is expected to be a really good one.

If they want to contend they can use those picks to upgrade their roster.

Or if they want to play the two timeline game they can use those picks to add to their prospect pool for the future. The players they draft in this draft should be ready to take over when their current core ages out of their prime. That’s assuming they hit on those picks of course. They can also combine those picks in some way to move up in the draft. Pretty sure they could combine 2 lates 1st into a mid-first and both of those early 2nd into a late-mid 1st. Either way, they can get creative with it.

The CAL/FLA 1st has a small chance to be a very good one. Small chance Calgary finishes in the 11-15 range if they overperform/don’t tank properly.
Ask yourself if you could trade those picks for where he was drafted. Answer is no.

Nobody will take a late 1st and 2 2nd for a high teen pick

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Ask yourself if you could trade those picks for where he was drafted. Answer is no.

If the rumours are true (and I do stress rumours) then they already know he has no intention of signing in Winnipeg. If that's the case yiu could argue this in an overpayment for a kid who could decide to go thr free agency route instead of signing both whatever team trades for him. Again. That's if the rumours are true.

Ledge And Dairy

Until we have a better idea on where Calgary and Florida sit in next years standings that pick is essentially untradeable due to the sheer potential difference in value. If Calgary finishes outside the top 10 they probably aren't drafting any later than 15th, meanwhile Florida absolutely has a chance to repeat. The difference in value between drafting 11-15 and 28-32 is just far too substantial a difference.

McGroarty has already committed to college for next year so even though he is NHL ready he won't be signing until his NCAA season is over. There's no reason for Winnipeg to rush a deal here

Reactions: jfhabs and Huffer

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
The only deal that would make sense of the Devils would be Seamus Casey + Jets 2025 2nd round pick for McGoarty. Since both players were with Michigan these last two years I assume Jets fans will be able to tell if they think its a good deal or not.

I'm hesitant with the 2nd round pick because of the RD > Winger value.

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
I mean it would be an option but I'd think they'd rather get a player back and only do something like this as a fall back and then try to use those assets to help them get someone that can help them this year.

Yeah I know but we don’t have too many good players to spare right now. And I don’t think he’s worth our top prospects. Acquiring him for one of our few good players or top prospects would be a lateral move at best. If not a downgrade.

Winnipeg have no interest in our B prospects and bottom of the lineup players I’m sure.

So next best thing I can offer is draft capital since we have a ton of it.

The only deal that would make sense of the Devils would be Seamus Casey + Jets 2025 2nd round pick for McGoarty. Since both players were with Michigan these last two years I assume Jets fans will be able to tell if they think its a good deal or not.

I'm hesitant with the 2nd round pick because of the RD > Winger value.

McGroarty would be a nice fit in New Jersey for sure. He would complement their top 9 really well. Jets would probably take that trade instead of the one I proposed since they seem to prefer a player over picks. And I think they are weak on the RD so it would be a good swap. You guys have Nemec Hamilton and Pesce on the RD flank.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Yeah I know but we don’t have too many good players to spare right now. And I don’t think he’s worth our top prospects. Acquiring him for one of our few good players or top prospects would be a lateral move at best. If not a downgrade.

Winnipeg have no interest in our B prospects and bottom of the lineup players i'm sure.

So next best thing I can offer is draft capital since we have a ton of it.

McGroarty would be a nice fit in New Jersey for sure. He would complement their top 9 really well. Jets would probably take that trade instead of the one I proposed since they seem to prefer a player over picks. And I think they are weak on the RD so it would be a good swap. You guys have Nemec Hamilton and Pesce on the RD flank.
Plus Casey could boost their 2nd PP and be in the wing to replace Morrisey eventually on PP1 in a couple years. I doubt Morrisey will want to take a team friendly deal for his "into the sunset contract"

Reactions: Habs7631

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com

1723438463760.png

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So now we have McGroarty, two steps removed from being a savior.

Is he better then Beck? And Beck has no me-moi built in him.

Please, keep your saviors. Trade them between yourselves.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
Interesting. This is pretty close to the package I’m offering. McGroarty was picked 14.

The question here I think is how much does McGroarty last season raises his value. And him being “NHL ready”.
It’s also worth mentioning that Arizona had 7 of the first 45 picks in that draft, so they were in a unique position to leverage those assets into a premium one. Not every team would be able/willing to do something like that. And they dealt them to SJ, who was a newly rebuilding team who wanted as many picks as possible, which likely doesn’t match the Jets’ situation.

EDIT: My overall point is that even though the pick value of the deal makes sense, McGroarty’s value has likely exceeded his pick slot, not just because he had a good season, but also because he’s 3 years closer to the NHL than the picks he is theoretically getting traded for. Maybe some teams would trade McGroarty for that, but a team like Winnipeg would almost certainly not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Faroe Islands
    Latvia vs Faroe Islands
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $225.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Albania vs Georgia