McDavid promotion and the hatred from fans?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I think it's the opposite. I haven't seen a single Leaf fan ever say Matthews is a better player.

But I've seen multiple Oiler fans say Matthews didn't deserve the Hart, it was a gift, the Toronto media was the only reason he won it etc.
Oh buddy, where have you been? There have been countless Leaf fans saying Matthews has been better throughout his career.

Hell, poster “34” has still being going on about it through these playoffs while McDavud is breaking records

• Haha
Reactions: 34

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I was never a fan of his mostly because of the Oilers fanbase, but the fact is he is doing some incredible stuff in his career and I just can't hate on it anymore. I was too young to really remember Mario at his best, so I'm taking the chance to enjoy McDavid now like I did with Crosby and Ovechkin. He might well be a top 5 player ever *right now*.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Partially but IMO they are also have an old school way of seeing the game. Too many are stuck in the "Good Pros" "it's a team game" mindset.
You think the "haters" are more "old school" than me, a 60 year old man?
The "haters are a bunch of 15 year olds that have no idea what they're watching.

Reactions: dukeofjive

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
He literally just broke a league record for assists in a postseason run and is currently having one of the best playoffs in the last 100 years of the sport. He had back to back four point games facing elimination.

Saying he's one of the best ever not hyperbole. It's fact. Pens fans have always been weird about McDavid for dethroning Crosby.
the casual fan isn't running for their tv because a player broke a league record for playoff assists

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
McDavid gets punished by people for not having a big mouth...turns out people can actually hate you for anything.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
From my perspective:

I don't get the same warm and fuzzy feelings from McDavid as I do from other star players like Crosby, Ovechkin, Kucherov, Hughes, etc.

There's no doubt that McDavid is the best player in the league. I get that the NHL wants to market that, but I think there's a way to do it without undercutting other teams and players.

If you look at the commentary and analysis from the SCF, there's a clear picture being painted - "Edmonton is the best team ever and McDavid is the best player ever and...oh, there's another team here too...ummm...Florida?" When the play-by-play commentators and analysts are falling over themselves to gush about McDavid and the Oilers despite them being down 3-0 at one time, it completely undercuts the performance of Florida and its players. The general sentiment being pushed is - Florida isn't winning...Edmonton is just losing. That's not fair to Barkov, Matthews, Bobrovsky, etc and it gives unearned credit to the Edmonton team that, again was down 3-0 at one time.

When a single-player is hyperbolized and pushed to the extent that he is, it gets tiresome, especially when hockey and a cup run are a team effort.
You mean how Crosby was pumped for his 3 shortened seasons and people prorated him like he was the second coming of Gretzky/lemieux, and then McDavid did that over multiple full seasons ?

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
It’s not an argument at this point that he has passed Crosby with his individual awards and offensive production. That being said, I find it hard to believe that he will ever surpass Orr (or even Lemieux for that matter).

The one advantage that McDavid has over the two is his durability. As dominant as he’s been, it pales in comparison to what Orr or Lemieux were capable of doing. Orr dictated the game everywhere on the ice in a way that McDavid never could (there are obvious limitations when he’s a forward).

Lemieux spent much of his career playing with mediocre linemates and defensemen. Additionally, his back problems along with his Hodgkin’s lymphoma either affected or stagnated his career. The dude was by far the best player on the planet when he was in his mid-thirties, playing with a middling forward in Jan Hrdina on his line.

Nfumass

Oct 2, 2004
Ma
It’s not an argument at this point that he has passed Crosby with his individual awards and offensive production. That being said, I find it hard to believe that he will ever surpass Orr (or even Lemieux for that matter).

The one advantage that McDavid has over the two is his durability. As dominant as he’s been, it pales in comparison to what Orr or Lemieux were capable of doing. Orr dictated the game everywhere on the ice in a way that McDavid never could (there are obvious limitations when he’s a forward).

Lemieux spent much of his career playing with mediocre linemates and defensemen. Additionally, his back problems along with his Hodgkin’s lymphoma either affected or stagnated his career. The dude was by far the best player on the planet when he was in his mid-thirties, playing with a middling forward in Jan Hrdina on his line.
Mcdavid seems more durable because he is playing in the softest era of hockey ever. He doesn’t deal with the abuse and physicality that past stars dealt with.

ChurchOfMatthews

Goldmember
Oct 13, 2016
Plevna
Oh buddy, where have you been? There have been countless Leaf fans saying Matthews has been better throughout his career.

Hell, poster “34” has still being going on about it through these playoffs while McDavud is breaking records
Poster “34” is one of the biggest trolls on our forum. I'm not sure who his team is but it's sure as hell not the Leafs.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
From my perspective:

I don't get the same warm and fuzzy feelings from McDavid as I do from other star players like Crosby, Ovechkin, Kucherov, Hughes, etc.

There's no doubt that McDavid is the best player in the league. I get that the NHL wants to market that, but I think there's a way to do it without undercutting other teams and players.

If you look at the commentary and analysis from the SCF, there's a clear picture being painted - "Edmonton is the best team ever and McDavid is the best player ever and...oh, there's another team here too...ummm...Florida?" When the play-by-play commentators and analysts are falling over themselves to gush about McDavid and the Oilers despite them being down 3-0 at one time, it completely undercuts the performance of Florida and its players. The general sentiment being pushed is - Florida isn't winning...Edmonton is just losing. That's not fair to Barkov, Matthews, Bobrovsky, etc and it gives unearned credit to the Edmonton team that, again was down 3-0 at one time.

When a single-player is hyperbolized and pushed to the extent that he is, it gets tiresome, especially when hockey and a cup run are a team effort.

So the Oilers are treated by the media the same way the Panthers were in the first three rounds? Interesting.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Unless he's on your team you should absolutely hate him. If you like players on other teams or cheer for other teams when your team have been eliminated you're PLASTIC. A fake fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad