McDavid promotion and the hatred from fans?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
No one is denying his greatness but a couple things here:

1) He's boringggggg AF in a league full of boring guys
2) He's been hailed as this generation's GOAT and puts up video game numbers but, thus far, hasn't won shit.
3) No McDavid jock rider ever considers the rest of his career. What if he never wins a cup? Can he still be talked about in the same convos as Gretzky, Mario and others?

Reactions: HockeyWooot

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
same reason for Crosby, Lebron, and Brady.... just jealousy and wanting to go "against the grain" cus it makes them feel unique

if social media existed int he 80s/90s Gretzky and Jordan wouldve had it too
Why, are you mentioning a cheater among greats? Don’t diss Crosby and Lebron like that.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
To me he also seems more about scoring records than winning. Maybe I'll be proven wrong this season but it would be ironic if he breaks another Gretzky record and the Oilers lose in 7.

You honestly still believe this after watching him dig deep and will the Oilers to two consecutive wins after being down 3-0 and setting up a minimum of Game 6?

Not really seeing the correlation where falling in 7 games in the Finals to a 110 point, back to back Eastern Conference champion, favored team, while getting close or breaking the points mark, means he cares more about points than winning. If he leads the team to force a Game 7 and plays well enough to win, but they lose, you’re still going to hold that against him?

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
No, not a Cowboy fan. Just don’t like cheaters. If he was so great, why did he cheat?
to get an edge.... yeah it was cheating, but nothing compared to say using steroids.

I mean, Lebron won several titles by jumping to those super teams. Not cheating per se, but still made his legacy less impressive, much like Durant.

Brady stuck with the same team for 20 years, and then won another SB at age 43 on a very mediocre TB team. Its not like on paper NE were a bunch of all-stars year after year either.

Hes one of the greatest athletes of all-time whether you want to admit it or not considering the position.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Look at the NBA, people tune in to see guys like LeBron and Stef
Good for the NBA.
Now back to the NHL.

No, not a Cowboy fan. Just don’t like cheaters. If he was so great, why did he cheat?
If ya ain't cheating ya ain't trying hard enough.

Everyone cheats to a point where they see they can.......Brady just got caught.
You just can't post about the ones we don't know about cause they weren't caught.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
Sure it is. That’s why there’s so many make believe tales and what if nonsense when it comes to him. His retroactive “excellent two-way” play myth is a prime example of his story being embellished because he doesn’t carry enough individual achievements, trophies, or anything that resembles Gretzky and Lemieux, like what McDavid has been doing.

How can someone be described as carrying his team to back to back Cups when he didn’t lead them in playoff scoring either year, scored 1 goal and 11 points in 12 SCF games, and was -2 and +4 for a team that was +19 and +21?

He’s their captain aka leader??? Conn Smythes in back to back cups suggest he was in fact a valuable player in these championships, or is that a myth as well?

Doesn’t seem hard to understand. He’s a winner.

The object of hockey is to score more goals than your opponent, to win the game. The object of the season is to win enough games to get into the playoffs, ideally at a higher seed. The objective of the playoffs is to win the Stanley Cup.

Crosby has individual accolades which are great, but it’s leading your team to championships that plays a much more substantial part in legacy.

You are welcome to have your own skewed opinion of how greatness is perceived compared to the norm, but that shouldn’t prevent you from understanding what the common understanding of the concept is. It’s simple.

People really do love rewriting the past just for Crosby :laugh:

Whatever makes you feel better, doesn’t make it true lol

• Love
Reactions: sanscosm

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Reading through the different playoff threads, I've never seen so much hatred for a top player in the league in my life. I don't get it. For the longest time it's been said the league doesn't promote its stars enough, they finally do and people hate on it.

My question is why?
Crosby had a ton of hate to. The top players are always hated. McDavid playing for Edmonton may be a cause to a bit more hate, but it's been there for other top players.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
He’s their captain aka leader??? Conn Smythes in back to back cups suggest he was in fact a valuable player in these championships, or is that a myth as well?

The object of hockey is to score more goals than your opponent, to win the game. The object of the season is to win enough games to get into the playoffs, ideally at a higher seed. The objective of the playoffs is to win the Stanley Cup.

Crosby has individual accolades which are great, but it’s leading your team to championships that plays a much more substantial part in legacy.

You are welcome to have your own skewed opinion of how greatness is perceived compared to the norm, but that shouldn’t prevent you from understanding what the common understanding of the concept is. It’s simple.

Whatever makes you feel better, doesn’t make it true lol
Ah yes, because “carrying” his team back to back cups while having this “200 foot game” is definitely factual and completely the truth :laugh:

Reactions: Video Nasty

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
He literally just broke a league record for assists in a postseason run and is currently having one of the best playoffs in the last 100 years of the sport. He had back to back four point games facing elimination.

Saying he's one of the best ever not hyperbole. It's fact. Pens fans have always been weird about McDavid for dethroning Crosby.
How has he dethroned Crosby? They're the 1A/1B of the past 30 years for me. I do believe McDavid will pass Crosby, but it's largely due to injuries. That being said, if McDavid doesn't win a cup it'll be used against him pretty heavily when comparing the two.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I can only speak for myself. I have nothing against McDavid other than he's way too media trained for my liking but it doesn't make me hate him. I've honestly not seen people hate on McDavid.

What I am tired of though is how much they make everything about Edmonton in this series. It's like media and the broadcasts pretend Florida doesn't exist and they're just a minor roadblock for the protagonist, the hero that is McDavid and his Edmonton.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
I think it is because he plays for a Canadian team. The fans of the other 6 Candian teams make most of the posters of the hfboards, and they simply cannot like him. Add to this the Crosbyts on the site, which simply cannot have a player be better than their star, and it makes a lot of sense.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017

Hey buddy, just to give you a heads up. I’ve got a taco deluxe supreme talking back at me, so I’m gonna be awhile. Do you mind waiting somewhere else and letting me pass this beast in peace?

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
the reason I have a slight dislike for him is that knowing how good he is I know that he dogged it early on in the season so he could get his coach hired.

Sure Crosby has influence on the pens but he doesn't interfere directly with coaching and GM decisions or insert his family members into the organization.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
The hate he's going to get is gonna be unreal when he does what Gretzky lacked the balls to do, come back home and win a cup for #CanadasTeam.
F-nHtvIWMAA40cL.jpg
#GoLeafsGo
Kinda has that unsure look there. Kinda like "I dunno guys.....does this shirt look stupid?"

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
As it concerns LeFraud James, I could care less about his career because I could care less about basketball. What I dislike him for, among other non sports-related reasons, was him back in 2017 filing a fraudulent police report and never being held to account about his estate allegedly being sprayed with graffiti and making certain highly-publicized claims about the nature of that graffiti.The LAPD said they had nothing to share, including the police report itself. The only evidence the police department had logged was a photo of the graffiti on the gate provided by the individual(s) at James's Los Angeles residence. There was NO surveillance video entered into evidence in this case. Those of sound mind are able to come to the right conclusions.

As for McDavid, what he is doing is historical. He's clearly the best player on the planet, Panthers fan that I am or not. No reasonable individual can deny that. That being said, my dislike for him stems from him not being content to just being a warrior on the ice (as did Stamkos) a la Colin Kaepernick. For the longest time sports was a respite from all of that, and it sure would nice to see it get back to being exclusively that.

He also became Mr Human Rights.... except for when China came up he shut his mouth to protect his wallet.

Reactions: WalterLundy

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If you pay attention, you’ll notice the hate is probably a solid 85-90% coming from two fan bases only.

Calgary: makes sense, heated rival that you don’t want to admit have one of the greatest players to ever exist

Toronto: I’m not even sure why? Maybe the delusions some have that Matthews is anywhere close to that level of player?

I think it's the opposite. I haven't seen a single Leaf fan ever say Matthews is a better player.

But I've seen multiple Oiler fans say Matthews didn't deserve the Hart, it was a gift, the Toronto media was the only reason he won it etc.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I do think where McDavid plays is a big part of the lack of promotion of him.

I’m an adult with a life so I’m not staying up till 1am to watch anybody play any sport. So I’ll catch a game if McDavid here and there but I have watched every game of the finals though and he’s amazing.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I can only speak for myself. I have nothing against McDavid other than he's way too media trained for my liking but it doesn't make me hate him. I've honestly not seen people hate on McDavid.

What I am tired of though is how much they make everything about Edmonton in this series. It's like media and the broadcasts pretend Florida doesn't exist and they're just a minor roadblock for the protagonist, the hero that is McDavid and his Edmonton.
Nah. The narrative has only turned cause of the McDavid magical comeback. The media was all over Florida’s nuts before the series and in games 1-3. f***in Guetav Forsling was being talked about more than McDavid.

I think it's the opposite. I haven't seen a single Leaf fan ever say Matthews is a better player.

But I've seen multiple Oiler fans say Matthews didn't deserve the Hart, it was a gift, the Toronto media was the only reason he won it etc.

Lol. Must not have looked very hard.

Reactions: nbwingsfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad