Dreger: McDavid may cost 14 million

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
The Oilers have their hands tied. If they don't want to pay 14 million for a long term contract, I'm sure another team will be willing to offer sheet for max to get McDavid. Making sure McDavid isn't guilted into a sweetheart deal is exactly what agents are for.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The Oilers have their hands tied. If they don't want to pay 14 million for a long term contract, I'm sure another team will be willing to offer sheet for max to get McDavid. Making sure McDavid isn't guilted into a sweetheart deal is exactly what agents are for.

Doubtfully, but if they do the Oilers just match it and carry on. McDavid has to sign an offer sheet too, and who is to say he would be willing to do that.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If Toews get's $10.5M a year, McDavid should get $25M a year.

Then again, David Carr is now the NFL's highest paid player. Im also pretty sure Sam Bradford has made more than Tom Brady since he signed his rookie contract. :shakehead

One bad contract doesn't inflate all other contracts. If that's how it worked, all UFA's would get at least David Clarkson money.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin
Doubtfully, but if they do the Oilers just match it and carry on. McDavid has to sign an offer sheet too, and who is to say he would be willing to do that.

I agree that the Oilers definitely match, and I'm sure both McDavid and his agent know that as well. So the Oilers have no leverage other than begging for a discount. There will be offer sheets if EDM tries to lowball. Think of what McDavid could do for a struggling franchise like Arizona or Colorado.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Oilers need a happy McDavid. New building and fan excitement and optimism after a long dark ages. They need to structure a deal where they make it clear to McDavid they want to win but need flexibility to add. I hope he understands for the Oilers sake.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If McDavid's taking up 14 mil of the cap, the Oilers better hope they win it all this year because if they don't, they aren't gonna see a Cup for awhile.

Fortunately for them I can't see him taking any more than 12 mil per, and he'll probably come in under that. He's cut from the same cloth as Sid - he's not gonna gauge the team for all it's worth. Dude wants to win.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The middle tier players aren't giving discounts, why should McD?

He SHOULD be paid more than anyone in the league today and there are 2 guys making $13 mil and 2 making 13.8 in real dollars. I bet he comes in at 12.5 cap hit long term.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I just did a long post in another thread about the Toews/Kane contracts compared to Crosby and Malkin's 1st and second contracts, relative to the cap. I don't feel like repeating all that now, but my findings were that Crosby and Malkin got about 15.5% of the cap on their first deals the year they were signed, 13.5% on their second, and Toews/Kane was 14.7%.

I'll say the cap will be 80m when McDavid's contract kicks in and give him 15% of it, setting his cap hit at 12m/year. If it's an 8 year deal it will be a little higher than that, a shorter deal a little lower.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Meh ,no way he gets that.Not because he isnt worth it, but only because he would like to win .Besides he is the new poster boy for the NHL,he will makes tons of extra money outside of his contract.I think EDM gets him for 10 mil per :nod:

oilersfan87

Jan 18, 2009
Honestly if McDavid signs for $14M a year I don't think he's going to be my favourite player anymore. He's going to make enough money being the poster boy of the NHL, you'd think he'd be willing to sign for a few million less so he could have a better chance of winning a cup.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Chia: "Let's just make it 16 per and call it a day."
:shakehead

He couldn't negotiate a good deal if his life depended on it -- nevermind any 'steals' of a contract.

Maybe his "Number 2" (which is the PERFECT name for him), MacT, does the negotiating. I kind of hope so, so I can have more faith in Chia himself.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Honestly if McDavid signs for $14M a year I don't think he's going to be my favourite player anymore. He's going to make enough money being the poster boy of the NHL, you'd think he'd be willing to sign for a few million less so he could have a better chance of winning a cup.

Yeah i don't think he trust Chiarelli to use that money wisely.

Just look at the Lucic contract :laugh:

Like someone else pointed out Crosby's % back then = close to 14M

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If McDavid signs for 14 I think he can kiss a Cup goodbye. Kid was pretty distraught at not winning the Cup in his draft year in Junior. I think he'll go for a $9.7 mil deal to help the team. $14 million just assures you don't sign another high profile player.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
No way he makes any team pony up 14 million a year. Any team paying one player that much almost ensures they won't be able to win a cup. These rumors is ****ing ridiculous

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad