Confirmed with Link: McCabe/Lafferty and 2024/25 5ths to TOR for protected 2025 1st, 2026 2nd, Anderson, & Gogolev

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Win/win trade.

I liked McCabe this season and Lafferty is a solid all-around player.
Getting a first and second for these guys sounds pretty darn good to me.

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
Thinking about it, it's probably a good thing the picks are so far away. I know the 1st is top 10 protected, but as others have said, if Toronto has a top 10 pick in 2025, they'll have one in 2026.

Just go look at their capfriendly page right now. Look at all the soon to be UFA's up front. The only forwards they currently have signed for the 24-25 season is Tavares, Marner, and Jarnkrok. And only Robertson (currently injured) is a RFA out of ALL the forwards currently on that roster.

Even if they manage to convince Matthews and Nylander to stay, they will not have the supporting cast they currently have up front. Nor do they have a lot of solid prospects waiting in the wings.

Looooonnnngggg term, it being a 2025 1st (with protections) could be quite a bit more valuable than a late 1st this year.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
At his absolute best, maybe he's a 20min Dman on a lot of teams, but he has always been an oft injured Dman, and last year was garbage on one of the worst defensive teams in the league.

Who cares what he brought to our team? He wouldn't be here 3 years from now anyway, so it is best to trade him for as much as you can get for him, which is exactly what was done here.
Look at the 4 and 5 dmen around the league. Most are much worse, and more expensive if they are as good. It's in that no-man's land of contracts. Gms gamble on 4s or move on if they actually have one on a winner more often than not.

I'm not arguing to keep him. Fans love first, but I see Paradis, Dano, Olsen, Maatta, etc. more than I see a Murphy or Schmaltz (trying to stick with Hawks). Of the late firsts that do turn out as a top 5 d or top 9 fwd, it usually happens at another club.

...and I'm looking at 1st and 2nd round skill guys being buried and wasted in Rockford before dumped for nothing in 26 and 27 at the rate the Hawks are going now. KD is going to be giving up 6th rounders for roster slots soon enough, or drafting NCAA bound players just to buy time.

Hope I'm wrong...or they hit on two HOF top of the draft types which would make my concerns irrelevant. I don't like banking on luck like Tallon had.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Some insight on the players you got;

Joey Anderson likely can be a regular in the NHL. Nothing special, but a guy you aren't upset to have on your fourth line.

Gogolev..... hard to see him becoming anything if I am honest. He looked okay to end the AHL year in 2020-21, struggled last season to find any consistency, and then this season has mostly been in the ECHL (though, he's produced very well)

As a fellow Leafs fan to echo this - I think Joey Anderson can potentially be of decent value to the Hawks. Especially in a rebuilding scenario where he can get more consistent usage, ideally with a coach focused on development.

He's a smart player, makes the right decisions most of the time during smaller plays, especially in his own end. Nothing highlightreel worthy, but you'll be happy that it's happening nonetheless. His offensive game in the NHL still a question mark a bit

Overall I think he can end up an NHL regular if given the chance

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Congrats. Now thats what a call committing to a rebuild. None of this "building on the fly" nonsense. Cant wait to see what you guys get for Kane.

hawks.png

Glad to have Lafferty & McCabe for the next few years.

ColbyChaos

Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Davidson saw the rate for good bottom 4/6 type players with good value on future years under contract and quickly corrected the market

He did well to secure employment later, probably with the Leafs.

Retention and too good players under contract for late first and a 2nd unlikely to be in the top 50.

I'm not sure if this is better or worse than the Mrazek trade.

Well at least Gogoiev isn't tying up a contract slot through next year...oh wait.

Does Dubas laugh after these deals that help keep his job or just walk away?
Matthews, Nylander are both UFAs in 2024, the 2025 leafs are going to be different given all the other players they will sign/move. A first in 2025 is better than a first this year or next year where they are clearly going all in with their core.

Reactions: Giovi

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
Smart move on their part, picking up Lafferty, McCabe, O'Reilly are 3 solid additions who can bring it when the games get tough which is what they need heading into the post season.

Reactions: BobbyJet

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Traded a 29 yr old top 4 defencemen and a 27 yr old depth forward for a 1st and a 2nd, another 24 yr old forward...he joins Entwistle, RJohnson, Kurashev, Raddysh, Katchouk, Guttman, Drew and Hardman

OTC

Jul 11, 2018
Retaining on 50% and having a restrictive condition on pick and no other asset is very valid thing to be not happy about

Agree

Overall, the Hawks should have gotten better or no top 10 protection on pick

Also why are we giving up mid round picks to Toronto in deal

And what are conditions on them?

Davidson has not had good performance overall in trades. Take away the Hagel trade and its mostly underwhelming
Trade is OK considering we receive a 1 st. and 2 Nd. but not giving back the 2-5th. round picks

Reactions: WindsorHawk

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Statistically, McCabe is a difference maker ----both those guys will really help Toronto. I find the prospects and 5th's to be kind of interesting.....I trust Davidson to see something he likes in them or it would have likely been a straight up deal. I think given the moves other teams have made and how other teams who want to make moves have their hands tied in many cases, this is a good trade for both teams. I think we could have done better but never lose sight of the tank either.....San Jose and Arizona are biting at our heels.....we can't screw this up!!!!!

Reactions: Muffinalt

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Matthews, Nylander are both UFAs in 2024, the 2025 leafs are going to be different given all the other players they will sign/move. A first in 2025 is better than a first this year or next year where they are clearly going all in with their core.
Muzzin and Murray off the books then too. Even if they have Reilly, old Tavares, and Marner + 30 million in said players, they're far more likely to be a playoff team than a bad team finishing 11th.

I like the optimism but ownership (not just Dubas) is going to try to win for the next several seasons.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Toronto fans kept saying they don't need Dmen and won't be after them with their stacked D. But I'm glad they're finally making a push to go for it.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Anyone know what tge conditions are for the 2 5ths we owe them forc2024 and 2025?

.if Toronto wins Cuo in '23 or '24 the 2 5ths do not apply?

.or is it if they extend Lafferty the 2024 5th does not apply and if they win a Cup in 2023 or 20w4 the 3925 conditional also does not apply?

Or some other variation on these 2 concepts?

10YearsAfter

Feb 11, 2014
Connecticut
I think it was slightly short on value considering the picks are years down the road and we retained. But if this was the best deal on the table im fine with it. we needed these guys moved. the difference in finishing bottom 2 in the league or 6-7 is massive. how much would a team have to give up to move from # 6 to #2 this year? at least a extra first.
very good point

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
I'm just curious between McCabe and Murphy who is the better defenseman or are they at about the same level? Just wondering if one guy is significantly better than the other?

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
"lowest" is not exactly the clearest way to explain the condition. I assume this means the Hawks keep the better of the picks and Leafs get the worse. I suppose it really don't matter as 5th rounder whether toward the top middle or bottom of the round is still a long shot to play in the NHL much less become anything meaningful.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I'm just curious between McCabe and Murphy who is the better defenseman or are they at about the same level? Just wondering if one guy is significantly better than the other?
McCabe has been better this year, but Murphy was slightly better last year. Murphy has sucked for a couple years now though.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
If you look at their careers in their entirety, I would think Murphy gets the slight edge. This year, I think McCabe has been better and Murphy carries concussion risk with an extra year on his deal and 400K per more in salary making McCabe a more valueable trade piece. Hopefully Murphy bounces back some next season and we can flip him next deadline.

10YearsAfter

Feb 11, 2014
Connecticut
Anyone know what tge conditions are for the 2 5ths we owe them forc2024 and 2025?

.if Toronto wins Cuo in '23 or '24 the 2 5ths do not apply?

.or is it if they extend Lafferty the 2024 5th does not apply and if they win a Cup in 2023 or 20w4 the 3925 conditional also does not apply?

Or some other variation on these 2 concepts?
Really, you care about 5th rd pks? Wow!

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
McCabe has been better this year, but Murphy was slightly better last year. Murphy has sucked for a couple years now though.

If you look at their careers in their entirety, I would think Murphy gets the slight edge. This year, I think McCabe has been better and Murphy carries concussion risk with an extra year on his deal and 400K per more in salary making McCabe a more valueable trade piece. Hopefully Murphy bounces back some next season and we can flip him next deadline.
Ok that's good to know. I was just wondering if the Leafs had a choice between the two if they chose the better Dman.

Also curious if any of our current Dmen will get moved now like Holl considering we have more Dmen than spots to play them even before getting McCabe. Young guys like Sandin and Timmins likely won't be playing in the playoffs it seems unless there's injuries or Holl gets moved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad