Confirmed with Link: McCabe/Lafferty and 2024/25 5ths to TOR for protected 2025 1st, 2026 2nd, Anderson, & Gogolev

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Davidson saw the rate for good bottom 4/6 type players with good value on future years under contract and quickly corrected the market

He did well to secure employment later, probably with the Leafs.

Retention and too good players under contract for late first and a 2nd unlikely to be in the top 50.

I'm not sure if this is better or worse than the Mrazek trade.

Well at least Gogoiev isn't tying up a contract slot through next year...oh wait.

Does Dubas laugh after these deals that help keep his job or just walk away?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Davidson saw the rate for good bottom 4/6 type players with good value on future years under contract and quickly corrected the market

He did well to secure employment later, probably with the Leafs.

Retention and too good players under contract for late first and a 2nd unlikely to be in the top 50.

I'm not sure if this is better or worse than the Mrazek trade.

Well at least Gogoiev isn't tying up a contract slot through next year...oh wait.

Does Dubas laugh after these deals that help keep his job or just walk away?
lol, we are talking about Sam Lafferty and Jake McCabe here lol. Not like we traded prime Sharp and prime Hjalmarsson for this return lol. McCabe was a bottom pairing Dman on our team last year, and Lafferty is and will continue to be a 4th liner.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Some insight on the players you got;

Joey Anderson likely can be a regular in the NHL. Nothing special, but a guy you aren't upset to have on your fourth line.

Gogolev..... hard to see him becoming anything if I am honest. He looked okay to end the AHL year in 2020-21, struggled last season to find any consistency, and then this season has mostly been in the ECHL (though, he's produced very well)

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
If Anderson and Gogolev just become fodder in this deal, then this deal is a bit underwhelming. Not sure why the conditional 5th rounders needed to be in the deal (potentially 3rd based on games played). If those weren’t in the deal then it’s a good deal.

Reactions: hockeydoug

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Joey Anderson likely can be a regular in the NHL. Nothing special, but a guy you aren't upset to have on your fourth line.

Gogolev..... hard to see him becoming anything if I am honest. He looked okay to end the AHL year in 2020-21, struggled last season to find any consistency, and then this season has mostly been in the ECHL (though, he's produced very well)

Anderson isn't anything

Classic AHL/NHL tweener at best

Reactions: WindsorHawk

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
I think it was slightly short on value considering the picks are years down the road and we retained. But if this was the best deal on the table im fine with it. we needed these guys moved. the difference in finishing bottom 2 in the league or 6-7 is massive. how much would a team have to give up to move from # 6 to #2 this year? at least a extra first.

Reactions: 10YearsAfter

WarLax

Apr 17, 2016

Good good....we needed a new Hagel/Lafferty project to mold into future high picks.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
If Anderson and Gogolev just become fodder in this deal, then this deal is a bit underwhelming. Not sure why the conditional 5th rounders needed to be in the deal (potentially 3rd based on games played). If those weren’t in the deal then it’s a good deal.
Because they don’t trust McCabe to stay healthy and wanted a bit of insurance, rightfully so.

Good good....we needed a new Hagel/Lafferty project to mold into future high picks.
A guy to turn into a 2nd round pick which BWC can bitch about.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
lol, we are talking about Sam Lafferty and Jake McCabe here lol. Not like we traded prime Sharp and prime Hjalmarsson for this return lol. McCabe was a bottom pairing Dman on our team last year, and Lafferty is and will continue to be a 4th liner.
McCabe is a 20 minute dman on more than half the rosters. Bluelines around the league aren't getting stronger overall any time soon since so much emphasis has gone to players that can generate offense. For 2 million, he's worth more than what almost all of late firsts will be, especially in 2031.

This is a numbers game for KD, but the other numbers are the diminished likelihood of managing a loaded system well and what clogged TOI does to attract undrafted players.

If they land two lotto HOF studs, none of it matters anyway, but assuming they don't, as is likely the case, I hate the "All-in" on picks approach Pretty on paper, uglier in reality.

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
1 and 2 were what we wanted in the beginning and we got that, but 5 round pick is a minus but McCabe's injury history that might have been must lost.

Players are probably mostly contracts coming back.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
And to be clear, it's not bad on it's own. It doesn't bother me much...until I put in the aggregate of moves.

For what its worth, here are the grades The Athletic gave for this trade.

Sean Gentille:
Maple Leafs grade: A
Blackhawks grade: B+

Dom Luszczyszyn:
Maple Leafs grade: B+
Blackhawks grade: A-
One time they gave out a C to somebody I think. They're worse than college professors now.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
Our tank just had one of its tracks blown off.

Traded our best defenseman and best pk forward.

Trade Domi and blow the other track off now.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Its a great deal for both sides. I didnt think Toronto would be in because they didnt have the picks left after the ROR trade but they did it anyway.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Im happy with the trade. If KD is going for 2025 and 2026 picks, he’s probably not deluded into thinking that scoring Bedard turns this team around immediately. It takes an army drafted over several years.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Im happy with the trade. If KD is going for 2025 and 2026 picks, he’s probably not deluded into thinking that scoring Bedard turns this team around immediately. It takes an army drafted over several years.
It also may help us trade for a cornerstone piece when were on the upswing. Like the Meier deal.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
McCabe is a 20 minute dman on more than half the rosters. Bluelines around the league aren't getting stronger overall any time soon since so much emphasis has gone to players that can generate offense. For 2 million, he's worth more than what almost all of late firsts will be, especially in 2031.

This is a numbers game for KD, but the other numbers are the diminished likelihood of managing a loaded system well and what clogged TOI does to attract undrafted players.

If they land two lotto HOF studs, none of it matters anyway, but assuming they don't, as is likely the case, I hate the "All-in" on picks approach Pretty on paper, uglier in reality.
At his absolute best, maybe he's a 20min Dman on a lot of teams, but he has always been an oft injured Dman, and last year was garbage on one of the worst defensive teams in the league.

Who cares what he brought to our team? He wouldn't be here 3 years from now anyway, so it is best to trade him for as much as you can get for him, which is exactly what was done here.

Reactions: scorehawks

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The Mathews dilemma forces Laffs togo "all in" win Cup this year or next...

Scenarios:

1.Laffs fail twice and decide to re-build letting Mathews walk July 1st 2024...
So) i) Laffs tear it down and Tank to lottery spot and end up top ten pick in 2025 meaning the 1st we got from them defers to 2026 unprotected =GREAT for Hawks since potentially 2 Generationals on tap at that draft =current 15 yr old phenoms in the #1and#2' spots for that draft (Ryan Roobreck -already 6'2 Nd 185 lbs ,and Gavin McKenna currently 5'11 165 lbs both late 2007s...
OR
ii) Laffs Tank in 2024/25 still gets them only to early teens andctheyvibstead fail to movevuo in lotto such that Hawksxget their 2025 1st...ok miss out on the 2026 Generationals but still a very good pick spot for 2025 using Laffs 1st...
Anyway 2 very good scenarios for Hawks from the deal with Laffs today.

2.Laffs decide to re-sign Mathews with Max deal before he can walk July1st...means cap he'll for them...havecti discard contracts...fall back to mushy mid-pack ...have nobtoo draft capital left ...or could even Tank with Mathews..Cao may not rise as much as was expected due to Bally tv revenues oisiblyvnot made up...so even with Mathews re-signbg for a Max deal=problems galore for Laffs.
So a big fall could be still expected for 2024/25 or 2025/26...

3.Matfews himself after 2more fails with Laffs for a Cup decides to walk and go to team set to read benefits of huge talent influx coming in in 2024/25 and continuing to stream in then from the 2022,2923 ,2024 drafts and beyond..
Tgat team woujd be tge Hawjs andxtgeycaksovcan give him top dollar on 7yr Max deal because they are flush with Cao room...He may figure Chicago becobesxTHE place to sign to get a bunch on next Cups over next 6-7 years after signing there.
This best of all scenarios.. Mathews plus a Tanking Laffs 1st '25 or '26) .

Clearly KD has played the long game ...steering Hawks up big time for great rise again to contend for a long 1 year window opening up in the mid 2020s on to end of 2030s ...

Laffs window goingv to close ...so they better win a Cup this year or next .

• Haha
Reactions: Maple Leaf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad