Value of: Max Domi

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Now that Stutzle has established himself as a Center, I'd be interested from the Sens side to run him with Brady and Formenton down the LW.

Would need his contract worked out before we pull the trigger though.

Would two 2022 2nds (OTT + TBL) get it done? What is a realistic contract number for him?
I think that would be fine, hoping for more but that’s not a bad deal.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Be careful with using a prior comparable as a bar for trade prediction purposes. We're approaching the 10th anniversary of the Gaustad trade. I remember 3-4 years worth of "if Gaustad can get a 1st..." logic, while better players ultimately went for less. Playstyle, position, supply and demand in the marketplace and the aggressiveness of the GMs in a position to buy define the rental market as much as available player quality does.

Reactions: Viqsi

KniespassZegras

Jan 2, 2022
Per CapFriendly, just four potential buyers are projected to have the cap space to trade for a $5.3 mil player outright at the deadline (Calgary, Minnesota, New York, Nashville). Everyone loves the bidding war cliche, but putting an unrealistic premium on salary retention will shrink the market.

As fans, we need to move away from the idea of salary retention as meaningful added value. Contenders are building with the expectation that it will be available at the deadline. It was almost required in 2021. Foligno, Savard and Palmieri+Zajac went at 50% for the 1st round premium, yes. However, Hall's value didn't go through the roof at 50%. Ditto Carter, Staal, Janmark and Gustafsson. Just 1 player with a cap north of $3 mil moved without it (Mantha).

Its not unrealistic for a guy like domi though, he will bring a 1st+ with retention or likley wont be moved.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Its not unrealistic for a guy like domi though, he will bring a 1st+ with retention or likley wont be moved.

Columbus punting on say a 2nd and letting him walk as a UFA, while not in contention for the playoffs, is pretty terrible asset management. It would be one thing to hold if the market is lowballing, so as to show the rest of the league that you won't ultimately fold in future deals. This is in the opposite direction.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Now that Stutzle has established himself as a Center, I'd be interested from the Sens side to run him with Brady and Formenton down the LW.

Would need his contract worked out before we pull the trigger though.

Would two 2022 2nds (OTT + TBL) get it done? What is a realistic contract number for him?

That is the offer I circle back to on deadline day if no one is prepared to overpay with a first.

I'd take that deal now and call it done. An Ottawa 2nd is as good as a late 1st.

I'd be curious if Domi would want to sign in Ottawa. They're a little further along in their rebuild so he might want to be a part of that.

One thing the Rangers don't really need to do is retain, since they have quite a bit of cap space. As I previously mentioned, a 2022 2nd (the higher between St. Louis and NYR) and a 2023 3rd?

Not bad, you might get outbid. I don't think the Jackets mind retaining on Domi if it returns a better pick than that.

Columbus punting on say a 2nd and letting him walk as a UFA, while not in contention for the playoffs, is pretty terrible asset management. It would be one thing to hold if the market is lowballing, so as to show the rest of the league that you won't ultimately fold in future deals. This is in the opposite direction.

I get the idea of holding the line on value but Domi isn't the guy that you hold the line on. Lars won't use him, so they're better off moving on and making space to bring up some prospects. It's a highest-bid type of situation.

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
Moved a 1st for a broken down Foligno last year. You sure about that?
Last year was also the best year for him to take such a risk.
Many had it as the leafs easiest path to the Cup, Draft/players ranking were rather unknown given that Covid had put a halt on most development leagues.
It was a bad trade dont get me wrong but given what i stated above it was the best time to take that kind of risk.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Last year was also the best year for him to take such a risk.
Many had it as the leafs easiest path to the Cup, Draft/players ranking were rather unknown given that Covid had put a halt on most development leagues.
It was a bad trade dont get me wrong but given what i stated above it was the best time to take that kind of risk.

They are even better this year it's time to go all in.

Last edited:

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
They are even year it's time to go all in.
Unless you are getting players with term I would rather not mortgage anything this season.
If management (not the GM) believe this is make or break season you cant spend a ton of assets now as we will likely need to added a sweetener to any Ritchie deal and replace Holl/Dermott/Muzz as cap casualties this off season to keep Soup or find a backup for Petr

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Unless you are getting players with term I would rather not mortgage anything this season.
If management (not the GM) believe this is make or break season you cant spend a ton of assets now as we will likely need to added a sweetener to any Ritchie deal and replace Holl/Dermott/Muzz as cap casualties this off season to keep Soup or find a backup for Petr

They are 29-10-3 this isn't the time to get lazy, sit on your ass and do nothing

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Be careful with using a prior comparable as a bar for trade prediction purposes. We're approaching the 10th anniversary of the Gaustad trade. I remember 3-4 years worth of "if Gaustad can get a 1st..." logic, while better players ultimately went for less. Playstyle, position, supply and demand in the marketplace and the aggressiveness of the GMs in a position to buy define the rental market as much as available player quality does.
True, but I would also point out that most of the time the Gaustad nonsense was used in completely unrelated situations with completely different folks involved. In this case, it's still Jarmo Kekalainen making the (hypothetical) trade and it's only one year later, so it's not completely out of the question to suggest a 1st is possible, based on those moves. (Though I'm not holding my breath. :) )

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
True, but I would also point out that most of the time the Gaustad nonsense was used in completely unrelated situations with completely different folks involved. In this case, it's still Jarmo Kekalainen making the (hypothetical) trade and it's only one year later, so it's not completely out of the question to suggest a 1st is possible, based on those moves. (Though I'm not holding my breath. :) )

It's not completely out of the question, but I wouldn't say based on Gaustad, or based on Savard and Foligno. There is a playoff performer archetype, and those big guys filled that archetype, Domi probably doesn't.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

He can play poker, and perhaps he'll do that until the bitter end, but the market ultimately determines what a player is worth. Ron Francis got a 1st for Sekera one year and didn't get it for E. Staal the next, for example.

That's why I never criticize for the value returned in a rental trade; the decision to wait to trade a player at that point is a separate matter. A GM can't make another organization pay unless it wants to and the "we'll just keep him" line doesn't fly in most cases like this.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

A 1st is maybe possible but I'd call it unlikely

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He can play poker, and perhaps he'll do that until the bitter end, but the market ultimately determines what a player is worth. Ron Francis got a 1st for Sekera one year and didn't get it for E. Staal the next, for example.

That's why I never criticize for the value returned in a rental trade; the decision to wait to trade a player at that point is a separate matter. A GM can't make another organization pay unless it wants to and the "we'll just keep him" line doesn't fly in most cases like this.

Agreed

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Something to consider with this year's market -- we are just past the halfway point of the season for most teams. I believe most teams have around 18-21 games between now and the deadline.

In the East, 8 teams are substantially far away from the playoffs. Detroit 13 points shy of Washington (same GP), Columbus is 14 points shy of Boston (same GP). At this point, barring a miraculous month by the Red Wings, Jackets, or Islanders, there's going to be 8 sellers in the East; plus a "usual contingent" in the west. It's going to be a buyers market.

Max Domi, and his 1/2 a PPG production for $2.65m (50% retention will be basically non-negotiable unless he's going to the Rangers or Wild), somewhat tempermental play / attitude, and some fiestyness are not going to yield a 1st round pick.

Realistically, probably a 2nd + a mid-tier prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad