Matvei Michkov First NHL Goal (Update: and second)

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Congrats kid! Basically "you weren't sure about the first? Well here's another."

A very Drai goal, that second, and I like seeing his first coming from crashing the net and hounding rebounds.

I don’t know enough to have an opinion on the guy, but I wasn’t really sold. Those are 2 quality NHL goals, if they aren’t a complete aberration the dude has arrived.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He started the season at +400 odds for the Calder. Now at +250 according to some sites. With Celebrini injured early probably seems right.

This is a player with a rare hockey processor. Still bewildered that the Flyers got him at #7. But also kinda happy for them, they might have been managed by total morons since Snider's passing and even before that but they've had some rotten luck too.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Somehow multiple teams convinced themselves that worse prospects were the right pick, despite the obvious signs that they were not.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Please. Its a hockey forum, a Columbus fan took a cheap shot at a Habs prospect who is out with a serious injury . Perfectly reasonable to return fire.
Calling out a team for overlooking a future star forward in the draft is quite different than calling out a team that just played their first home game without their star player who was killed 6 weeks ago.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Calling out a team for overlooking a future star forward in the draft is quite different than calling out a team that just played their first home game without their star player who was killed 6 weeks ago.
Columbus has missed the playoffs 11 of the past 12 years.

Their fans are in no position to cast stones, period. I am sure the poster who said "better than in columbus" was referencing their terrible on ice product as well as poor drafting and development record since the teams inception, not mocking the team for losing their star forward in a tragedy. But read into it how you wish.

Last edited:

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Columbus has missed the playoffs 11 of the past 12 years. Their fans are in no position to cast stones, period. I am sure the poster who said "better than in columbus" was referencing their terrible on ice product as well as poor drafting and development record since the teams inception, not mocking the team for losing their star forward in a tragedy. But read into it how you wish.
I hate to derail this further, but what? Google is free. Columbus made the playoffs five times in the past decade. They were never dominant or contenders, but this is more times than the Flyers and just as many as Montreal in the same period.

Reactions: sanscosm

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I hate to derail this further, but what? Google is free. Columbus made the playoffs five times in the past decade. They were never dominant or contenders, but this is more times than the Flyers and just as many as Montreal in the same period.
It really doesn't mattter. But thanks for the correction.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Imagine being teams 2-6 in that draft lol.
truly one of the most atrocious stretches in a draft by GMs in recent memory. those teams f***ed up even worse than the bruins in 2015. Michkov was the obvious 100% consensus 2nd best player in the draft, and even had some arguments to go over Bedard (which of course was never gonna happen though). there is no excuse for passing on him and those GMs should be fired for that alone.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
truly one of the most atrocious stretches in a draft by GMs in recent memory. those teams f***ed up even worse than the bruins in 2015. Michkov was the obvious 100% consensus 2nd best player in the draft, and even had some arguments to go over Bedard (which of course was never gonna happen though). there is no excuse for passing on him and those GMs should be fired for that alone.
Pretty much.

I argued that they couldn't have been that stupid to not draft him because of the "contract issues" that there had to have been something about the player or the person that they didn't like. But here we are.

I hope Michkov becomes so good that its not just Montreal that looks stupid, but all teams that picked between 2-6 do.

Or we find out some information that excuses these teams from not selecting him, like its pretty common knowledge that he wouldn't play for arizona.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
I mean…. I love the Leo Carlsson pick so let’s chill.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
After Patrick, Lindblom and Hart i'm just not going to get excited.
Michkov is in a different league than all of them and this has been said since the moment he was drafted. Comfortably the best young player we have had since Lindros.

I have spent over 15 years having HFFlyers tell me to get my hopes up and pretending dime a dozen guys are the one. From Lindblom, to Ghost, to Hart, to Patrick, to Provorv, to Sanheim, to Frost, all the way back to my very first instance of HFFlyers insisting a guy was legit with Nodl or Parent were building blocks.
Michikov is the one.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Their fans are in no position to cast stones, period. I am sure the poster who said "better than in columbus" was referencing their terrible on ice product as well as poor drafting and development record since the teams inception, not mocking the team for losing their star forward in a tragedy. But read into it how you wish.
Regardless of intent, the comment was extremely tone deaf considering how painful last night was for Jackets fans (and fans around the league).

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad