Confirmed with Link: Mattias Samuelsson Signs 7 year extension ($4.29M AAV)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Absolutely massive W. This will be beyond a steal very quickly.

As of right now, he's 71st in payroll for all defenseman signed for next season. That's before any UFA's or anyone else signs. So that's what, less than 40% of the league even before next summer's UFA's and RFA extensions? It's very solid.

You. Don't. Sign. Players. To. Long. Term. Deals. After. One. good. NHL. Season.

I like Samuelsson as much as anyone. This is completely and totally unecessary.

Between this and Thompson, Adams is just gambling away cap space and hoping these are good deals in 3 years when he has no reason to. Just unforced errors.

Go look at Toronto with Zaitsev. Or Ottawa with Chabot. You don't go into these long term deals lightly.

I will preface this with every situation is unique, but we did just see the team fritter away an opportunity to sign a guy who helped make their star player go in Reinhart by repeatedly bridging the guy rather than judging him as core and locking him in. That in turn contributed to Eichel's departure. Sammy is someone who helps make Dahlin go. They have an opportunity to not make the same mistakes and they also have an opportunity to start penciling in their salary structure. If a player doesn't play more than Sammy, how do they come in asking for more? Same with Thompson - it establishes more of their internal payroll structure.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Capture.PNG

People used to be jealous of the Couturier deal with the Flyers. I see this deal for Samuelsson aging in a similar way. If Samuelsson-Dahlin is a pairing for the next 8 years, this deal will work out well for the Sabres.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Saw this and my initial reaction was.....direct quote here.... "What the f***???"

This is a gamble by KA, no doubt. But IMO, it's a very good gamble. If his play never improves, this is a solid deal that will be a steal as the cap goes up. If he and Dahlin go Beast Mode........this contract sets the standard of steals.

If he turns out to be a middling 3rd pairing guy......we buy him out at 1/3,

Great gamble and I really hope it works.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
As of right now this would make Sammy the 71st highest paid defender next year. That's before other extensions or next years FA crop.

Of course things could always go bad (injury, negative development, warts in his game persist). But this has the potential to be a great bargain deal as soon as year #2 or 3.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
There has never been a player with that limited of a resume get this type of contract. I don’t know that he’s a long term solution in the top 4. I’m not even sure I have reason to be optimistic about it.

He's starting on our top pair with Dahlin after having solid results there last year. If that doesn't give you a reason for optimism.......and a reason to think that he could be a long term solution in the top 4......there's nothing that will.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Saw this and my initial reaction was.....direct quote here.... "What the f***???"

This is a gamble by KA, no doubt. But IMO, it's a very good gamble. If his play never improves, this is a solid deal that will be a steal as the cap goes up. If he and Dahlin go Beast Mode........this contract sets the standard of steals.

If he turns out to be a middling 3rd pairing guy......we buy him out at 1/3,

Great gamble and I really hope it works.

My son read it out as I was reading him the Granato extension news. I had a similar take - wow, was not expecting this.

At the moment, he's going to be paid like a 2nd pairing guy as of next year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
As of right now this would make Sammy the 71st highest paid defender next year. That's before other extensions or next years FA crop.

Of course things could always go bad (injury, negative development, warts in his game persist). But this has the potential to be a great bargain deal as soon as year #2 or 3.

Yep, that's 2nd pairing pay. For the PK and shutdown impacts, it's a solid bet that they get better value out of him going forward.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I'm fine with the term. But I figured a contract this early would get us a much lower AAV, since AAV mostly seems based on scoring, and he doesn't score at all.

In my spreadsheets where I project cap out to future years, I only had him making $3M because I didn't think he brought enough offense to go higher than that. Shows how much I know.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I'm fine with the term. But I figured a contract this early would get us a much lower AAV, since AAV mostly seems based on scoring, and he doesn't score at all.

In my spreadsheets where I project cap out to future years, I only had him making $3M because I didn't think he brought enough offense to go higher than that. Shows how much I know.

I don’t disagree, but why would he ever sign a long term deal based on zero offense. His response would be “no, let’s revisit this contract in a year then”

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I'm ecstatic about this deal. If there's one player I'm not worried about in regards to continuing having success in the NHL- it's Samuelsson.

I'm psyched, man. I really am. We're going to have Samuelsson, Dahlin, and Power here for the long haul. That's awesome.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I will preface this with every situation is unique, but we did just see the team fritter away an opportunity to sign a guy who helped make their star player go in Reinhart by repeatedly bridging the guy rather than judging him as core and locking him in. That in turn contributed to Eichel's departure. Sammy is someone who helps make Dahlin go. They have an opportunity to not make the same mistakes and they also have an opportunity to start penciling in their salary structure. If a player doesn't play more than Sammy, how do they come in asking for more? Same with Thompson - it establishes more of their internal payroll structure.

Buffalo effed up Reinhart, 100%. But.....this is going the other way. This is just a pure unforced error. Even if Samuelsson has an incredible season....what's the price for a physical d-man. 4M on a bridge or 5M long term? He isn't arb elgible, he isn't going to get offersheeted. There's no reason to give out 7 years now.

It's all risk and very little reward.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
One thing that I think needs mentioning is that these deals are showing guys want to be here and develop and grow with the team. That will help other guys on the team feel good about signing long term deals as well (especially because based on all accounts Sammy is a much loved guy to be around) and will also help when we recruit UFA's, or have to sign our college players (Levi, Johnson, Portillo...).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad