Prospect Info: Matthew Wood - RW | 15th Overall | 2023 NHL Draft

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
I heard he was just clenching too hard. He’s been using different laxatives, just needs to find the one that works best for him. Give him time, I’m sure he will make a splash lol
Sounds like the equipment manager needs to introduce him to a squatty potty

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
For those who have followed him this season, what exactly caused him to dip in production and what is the expected outlook for him in the future?
Well, last season the whole Connecticut team scored a fair bit less. If one wanted to compare his stats to the team...

2022-23: Connecticut 113g/185a/298pts; Wood 11g(9.7%)/23a(12.4%)/34pts(11.4%)
(Team record 20-12-3)

2023-24: Connecticut 90g/141a/231pts; Wood 16g(17.8%)/12a(8.5%)/28pts(12.1%)
(Team record 15-19-2)

... so his total production wasn't necessarily a "dip" relative to the whole team offense dipping and the team being weaker overall. And one could also surmise that his increased goal share and reduced assists is also a reflection on the team around him being less talented (fewer passing options/conversion of his passes).

I guess the hope for next season is to see him flourish in a stronger program at UofMinnesota, surrounded by quite a few more drafted prospects. I would imagine a goal would be around 40+ pts, plus a strong WJC. :dunno:

What happens with him in the future? I guess we'll see what he does with his skating issues mostly. He seemed to pick up a lot more PIMs last season, I don't know if that is indicative of him playing more aggressively/physically or not, but anything he can add to his game on that front would help. James Neal was pretty chippy for us while not being a great skater... if Wood can bring that sort of game down the road, maybe more as a playmaker than finisher compared to Neal, but something along that level of a player, that'd be alright? :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad