Confirmed with Link: [SJS/NSH] Yaroslavl Askarov, Nolan Burke, 2025 COL 3rd round pick for David Edstrom, Magnus Chrona, 2025 VGK 1st round pick (conditional)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
And if he performs well and decides he can do better elsewhere? Holy shit this is a dead horse. If you're going all in like we did, you cannot take the chance that you lose your goalie. If you sign him and he plays like shit then we are screwed regardless. But if you lowball him and he plays well and some desperate team offers him 7x10 then where are you with our window? You are just imagining a fantasy world
Like I said, if he plays that well I offer him 8x10. No other team can beat my offer, no other team has the 8th year. And he wants to be in Nashville anyway, so there's no possible way to lose.

Sometimes you all need to just stop swallowing the organizational kool-aid and accept there are other ways to look at things.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Like I said, if he plays that well I offer him 8x10. No other team can beat my offer, no other team has the 8th year. And he wants to be in Nashville anyway, so there's no possible way to lose.

Sometimes you all need to just stop swallowing the organizational kool-aid and accept there are other ways to look at things.
Or sometimes you need to understand the deal is already done so beating a dead horse doesn't get you down the road any further.

Has anyone on this thread ever disagreed with your boss about your job performance or potential or "path"? Barry was being honest with him and laid it out. Arkarov was polite and listened. Then he got with his agent and played it out. If he stays and wins the backup job, he's an NHL goalie backing up Saros for 5-to-8 years. If he asks to be traded, he'll likely get more money, and if he performs, he'll be a #1 within a year or two.

Consider his situation. If you were in his skates, which path would you choose? His decision wasn't about avoiding a battle, it was about choosing a path that made sense for his career. He knew he'd have to fight for his place wherever he landed. The 'path' is crucial. We just signed Saros for 8 years. We had our long-term goalie choice and Askarov wasn't it.

His decision was logical, and so was Barry's. Can't we respect their choices and not turn Askarov into a villain?
Does he have the Preds crest on his jersey in the future? No? Then he is a Villain. Screw him. I could care less about the welfare of individual players when it comes to the organization I root for. Why would I applaud a guy that pushed his way out of town to go play for another team?

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

Sure you can look at it any way you want. Doesn't make it any less pure fantasy

Reactions: Armourboy

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
BS. He was obviously not going to trade him.

Trotz had multiple conversations about moving Saros before we went on the run last year.
Didn't get any offers close to worth moving him and then we got hot so he shifted his mindset to building a true contender.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Trotz had multiple conversations about moving Saros before we went on the run last year.
Didn't get any offers close to worth moving him and then we got hot so he shifted his mindset to building a true contender.
Yes, we are talking post decision to keep him, pre decision to extend him early.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Sure you can look at it any way you want. Doesn't make it any less pure fantasy
Not sure how "fantasy" comes in... we will discuss managing decisions every time with reference to what could have/should have been done differently if they don't work out or we disagree with the decisions which were made. Or if we simply worry that they'll turn out badly. It'll be the same if Stamkos turns out to be cooked, or consider in hindsight whether we should or shouldn't have bought out Duchene, etc etc. All such discussions are "fantasy" relative to what actually happened, if you want to look at things that way. :huh:

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I'm only arguing about the term being shorter in the context of him performing poorly in the coming season. No team was going to hand him that contract on an 8-year term if he took another step back.

So, if he performs well in the coming season, sure, he had the leverage to get 8 years. If he doesn't perform well, he wouldn't. Which is why I'd have offered him a shorter contract now if he really needed for his own reasons (whatever they might be) to extend now. Or be content letting him earn the full term contract by playing well in the coming season. We couldn't lose either way with that approach.
Problem with this is you were advocating for a shorter contract long before it was signed. I’m sure I could find plenty of instances where you said this. I’m not that bored to do so.

Sure there are others paths that could’ve been taken, none of which were realistic in todays NHL.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Problem with this is you were advocating for a shorter contract long before it was signed. I’m sure I could find plenty of instances where you said this. I’m not that bored to do so.

Sure there are others paths that could’ve been taken, none of which were realistic in todays NHL.
I was certainly advocating only offering him a shorter contract. Including in the post you just replied to. If he was that eager to sign an extension right now, coming off a down season. If he wasn't willing to sign that shorter contract offer, no problem, it's his choice. The team shouldn't have felt they needed to extend him early on his terms.

Reactions: hockey diva

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad