Value of: Matthew Tkachuk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ledge And Dairy

For the little money it might save I think arbitration would be a bad thing for the player/franchise relationship, as an Oilers fan I encourage arbitration
I mean if he doesnt sign the 1 year QO he is 100% filing for arbitration himself (as every RFA eligible does). So Calgary filing instead is simply just to avoid him signing a 1 year deal with the QO right away.

Ledge And Dairy

After rereading the arbitration rules in the CBA, I was mistaken on arbitration rules from my original post.

Regardless, are the Flames content to let him get a one year contract through arbitration to take him straight to UFA?
Tkachuk is in a position where he can fprce a 1 year deal no matter what if he wants to, filing for arbitration is just a fallback that provides both team and/or player security. Nearly every plauer eligible for arbitration files for it (if not the team usually does). That does not mean a deal cant be met prior to the arbitration meeting, which is what will probably happen

Ledge And Dairy

That would be dumb. The arbitrator will have enough to give him 8-9 million anyway from comparables and then Tkachuk can take the one year cash and walk as a UFA.
Why would it be dumb? You are assuming it gets to an arbitrator which it wont. Tkachuk has arbitration rights anyways and can force a 1 year deal even if he doesnt take the original 1 year QO at 9M.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Posters are talking 10 million for a guy that isnt even a ppg player!? I know he brings more to the table but come on

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Figured, so likely a C prospect or would management prefer a 1ST rounder in a strong draft?

So CGY fans are good with that LW side chewing up nearly 20 mil long term?
Guess Lindholm, Anderson, Tanev and Backlund deals even it out a bit?
Tkachuk is playing RW and he has for probably about half of his NHL career.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Does CGY have long term room for all of Tkachuk, JG and Monahan?
If so, are they willing to commit likely ~$17-18 million for two LWs, as good as they may be?

Monahan won't be a Flame at expiration of his contract. His next contract will be about $2-3m AAV tops... he's an average 3C at this point.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
So does him signing a QO or filing and going to arbitration himself. Whats your point?

My point is that the Flames taking him to arbitration to get a better deal is not the answer. Actually, if it is succesfull it likely increases the chances of MT leaving as UFA.

If the fLames want to keep him, they have to negociate a long term deal, and anything below 9 mil is probably a no from MT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad