Player Discussion Matthew Savoie

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Stauffer spoke with Colin Chaulk yesterday on Oilers Now and apparently Savoie will be playing center in the AHL, as per discussions with management.
Yeh thought that was an interesting little nugget from that interview. Lots are saying he will ultimately be a wing in this League. I could see it too, but definitely should give him a shot at Center first to see what he can do.

Reactions: Giggleplex

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yeh thought that was an interesting little nugget from that interview. Lots are saying he will ultimately be a wing in this League. I could see it too, but definitely should give him a shot at Center first to see what he can do.

Depends how he does in camp maybe you could do:

Henrique-Savoie-Kane 3rd line

Or Henrique-Savoie-Holloway if you want more speed

I don’t think we should be so quick to assume he has no shot at the team. This is a high end prospect who was poised to break into the NHL if not for a bad injury in training camp last year.

Reactions: Aerrol and Oilhawks

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Just like baseball where they try to keep guys as a starter or shortstop until they prove they can’t handle it, it makes sense to keep Savoie at centre. I think he starts the year in the AHL and he has the potential to get called up later in the year if he’s dominating.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Depends how he does in camp maybe you could do:

Henrique-Savoie-Kane 3rd line

Or Henrique-Savoie-Holloway if you want more speed

I don’t think we should be so quick to assume he has no shot at the team. This is a high end prospect who was poised to break into the NHL if not for a bad injury in training camp last year.
Could yeh, but it would break up the Line 3 from the playoffs. Not that that wasn't gonna happen anyways, I don't I've ever seen an Oilers season with consistent lines lol. The blender seems inevitable.

Long term I think he'll be a Wing Top 6. This season I could see him getting looks in the bottom 6 for sure. 2 years past his draft year and he's already done as much as he could in the CHL. I think he's got the speed, smarts for the NHL as it is. He also looks thicker even though he's small. I would be fine to give him a shot in the NHL depending on his camp. I also wouldn't mind him getting big minutes in the AHL and working more on his play driving and hit avoidance.

Just like baseball where they try to keep guys as a starter or shortstop until they prove they can’t handle it, it makes sense to keep Savoie at centre. I think he starts the year in the AHL and he has the potential to get called up later in the year if he’s dominating.
Yeh can't hurt to give it try. Could end up being a Mike Peca like Center. And if not a skilled, sniping winger would be great as well.

Reactions: Giggleplex

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Besides the shoulder injury and size issue, the one thing I have heard some people say is that he doesn't quite have the high IQ. This concerns me, as we have super athletic guys like Nurse (way back with Hall) with zero IQ and they are extremely frustrating. With a guy his size, IQ is almost a must to make it in the NHL. Does anyone "in the know" have any idea if his hockey IQ is a cause for concern?

I'm also asking as I'd like to trade for him in my keeper league but I'm hesitant due to those 3 factors.
Love that he's from Edmonton, but I also worry he is our only trade trip to bring in a real top 4 RD at the deadline.
I'm not buying it. I saw him make lots of subtle but very smart plays offensively that most players simply don't make. We'll see what he's all about in a few months, but I think that's overstated at best.

Reactions: Aerrol and nally

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So I watched a 30+ minute highlight video of his on youtube. He is very quick and skilled but also thinks the game quickly. If he can develop NHL level strength and stay healthy this guy will be a solid NHL player. Until I see him against pro's I have no idea what he'll be capable of this season, but he is definitely fast and skilled enough to play at the NHL level. In a sense I think that he might be better served to stay at center unless he's good along the walls.
Bumping this now that it was mentioned that he likely starts at C in Bako. It seems like the big club has a similar vision of the player currently. Seeing as McLeod never really used his size, I wonder if Savoie could fill McLeod's role in the not too distant future? If the idea is to play RNH on one of Connor or Leon's wings it could leave an opening for a 3C assuming that Henrique then drops to the 4th line.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Could yeh, but it would break up the Line 3 from the playoffs. Not that that wasn't gonna happen anyways, I don't I've ever seen an Oilers season with consistent lines lol. The blender seems inevitable.
I know people loved that line. But it wasn’t actually all that great. In the 7 games in the finals the line scored twice and was scored against once. But they were dominated in terms of shot metrics and expected gf/ga. Janmark and Browns biggest contributions came on the PK by far.

Janmark and Brown together can make up 2 parts of the best 4th line in the league and are two valuable PKers. But they just aren’t 3rd liners imo. It’s a waste of Henrique stapling him to those two during the regular season.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I know people loved that line. But it wasn’t actually all that great. In the 7 games in the finals the line scored twice and was scored against once. But they were dominated in terms of shot metrics and expected gf/ga. Janmark and Browns biggest contributions came on the PK by far.

Janmark and Brown together can make up 2 parts of the best 4th line in the league and are two valuable PKers. But they just aren’t 3rd liners imo. It’s a waste of Henrique stapling him to those two during the regular season.
I would agree with that. Lots of what we liked from line 3 happened on the PK, so maybe the line 3 got a bit overrated. And yeh, we’re a better team if Janny is lower down the lineup. I do think Brown and Henrique can be a good line 3 for us though. Browns game might be good enough for top 6 again how good he was looking. And Henrique is just so smart with his positioning and puch touches I could see him being a good 3C. I have some concerns of his speed getting back to defend in that role though.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Besides the shoulder injury and size issue, the one thing I have heard some people say is that he doesn't quite have the high IQ. This concerns me, as we have super athletic guys like Nurse (way back with Hall) with zero IQ and they are extremely frustrating. With a guy his size, IQ is almost a must to make it in the NHL. Does anyone "in the know" have any idea if his hockey IQ is a cause for concern?

I'm also asking as I'd like to trade for him in my keeper league but I'm hesitant due to those 3 factors.
Love that he's from Edmonton, but I also worry he is our only trade trip to bring in a real top 4 RD at the deadline.
Hockey IQ concerns seem made up to me. There's nothing in his game that speaks to him making poor reads, being in poor positions, or not reading the play or off his teammates well. He sees the ice very well and has very good offensive instincts.

Bumping this now that it was mentioned that he likely starts at C in Bako. It seems like the big club has a similar vision of the player currently. Seeing as McLeod never really used his size, I wonder if Savoie could fill McLeod's role in the not too distant future? If the idea is to play RNH on one of Connor or Leon's wings it could leave an opening for a 3C assuming that Henrique then drops to the 4th line.
The one benefit of him playing centre if he's in the AHL is more puck touches and more defensive responsibility. Even if their plan is to have him wing in the NHL I could see playing centre in the AHL being better for his development. The transition from centre to wing is very easy to make.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hockey IQ concerns seem made up to me. There's nothing in his game that speaks to him making poor reads, being in poor positions, or not reading the play or off his teammates well. He sees the ice very well and has very good offensive instincts.

The one benefit of him playing centre if he's in the AHL is more puck touches and more defensive responsibility. Even if their plan is to have him wing in the NHL I could see playing centre in the AHL being better for his development. The transition from centre to wing is very easy to make.
I mentioned earlier that at center he can kind of swoop in and out of traffic easier. His speed is also a benefit to have down the middle especially since we just moved out McLeod who was fast as fluff boy! The good thing is that other than his reach, McLeod never played to his size so the smaller and stockier Savoie could very well replace some of what McLeod brought while also being much more skilled and having a much higher offensive IQ. Add to this that he's a RH shot so our top 3-4 centers are all lefties (if you include RNH, it's our top 4 C's) so that helps on draws if he doesn't get killed there like most rookies do. He also did a fair bit of PKing and had 8SH goals in his last 2 seasons combined. There is lots to like with this player IF he has the core strength and can stay healthy to continue developing. Legitimately his only real "weaknesses" are his size and the fact that he's had some injury issues.

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle

I feel like IQ is one of Savoie's strengths. He has great reads and can make complex decisions at fast speeds.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

His hockey IQ is one of the reasons why he was drafted high

Reactions: nally

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
f*** that
I agree with your sentiment. But I will say, that if the situation arises where Leon does decide to move on, it is might nice having a prospect who genuinely projects as a legit offensive player. Because before this trade went down our cupboards were bare in that regard.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Draisaitl replacement past next season

Hyman-McD-Nuge
Holloway-Savoie-Arvidsson
Janmark-Henrique-Kane
If Drai is gone next season, you can guarantee the Oilers are getting another 2C and top 4 D by trading Drai.

Something like Shane Pinto and Artem Zub or Cozens and Byram for Drai

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Draisaitl replacement past next season

Hyman-McD-Nuge
Holloway-Savoie-Arvidsson
Janmark-Henrique-Kane
giphy.gif

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
If Drai is gone next season, you can guarantee the Oilers are getting another 2C and top 4 D by trading Drai.

Something like Shane Pinto and Artem Zub or Cozens and Byram for Drai
that's a big stinking pile of shit and I wouldn't be sticking around to watch it

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Imo Savoie was smart for Buffalo to trade because he really could have busted there

What an amazing stroke of luck for the kid. If development is partly natural gifts and partly opportunity and development, he just got a huge boost on the 2nd part. Savoie will be his best self here in Edmonton.

Reactions: Canovin

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Imo Savoie was smart for Buffalo to trade because he really could have busted there

What an amazing stroke of luck for the kid. If development is partly natural gifts and partly opportunity and development, he just got a huge boost on the 2nd part. Savoie will be his best self here in Edmonton.
Getting Savoie is like getting Eberle after his D+2 season. Ready to step into the NHL.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Always hilarious to see people compare him to Yamamoto when Yamamoto was missing most of those elite qualities. Yamo was an average skater with an average shot and good passing/hockey smarts. Savoie is an excellent skater, has an excellent shot, excellent hands, excellent offensive IQ, excellent playmaker. Always a good laugh when people compare small players just because they're small. I am just going to block any poster who compares this guy to Yamo because their hockey takes aren't worth reading.
The size argument doesn't hold any water either because Savoie, at least based on the measurements I saw, is like 25 pounds heavier. He's closer to Viktor Arvidsson's size than Yamamoto. Yamamoto was not only short but he was skinny also.
The Savoies have a pretty stocky build, Carter has a pretty thick frame too in addition to being short although Carter is a little, lets say nicely, "bigger boned" than Matt.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad