C/RW Anthony Romani - North Bay Batallion, OHL (2024, 162nd, VAN)

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Is there any reason he was not invited to Canada's U20 selection camp and would he have made a difference with this year's team?

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Is there any reason he was not invited to Canada's U20 selection camp and would he have made a difference with this year's team?
I’m not sure how much of a difference he would have made. I doubt any more than rekhopf did (who was good tbf and was another of Romani’s gthl compatriots). I’m not surprised wasn’t invited, he was still stepping up as a legit scorer in the OHL at camp time and there have been questions about his skating in the past (though I find them overblown) which is always a question for international play (though iirc not all the rinks were Olympic sized at wjc this year but I don’t remember tbh).

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Surely this guy will be drafted in the mid rounds this year? He was only a couple months short of being a 2024 draft year.

Reactions: Cowumbus
Nov 9, 2022
Bumping his thread because I don't want people to be surprised if/when he goes higher than you'd think. Reminiscent of Mangiapane's production jump in the O and Garland's production jump in the Q, both in their 18 year old seasons like Romani this year.
Where do you see him going in the draft?

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
It's really baffling how undervalued this kid is led the OHL in goals and had 111 points.
I get he was an overager but he's young and was like a month away from being a 2024 draft year and played the entire year as an 18 year old.
He's not small or a trainwreck defensively can anyone who watched him a lot explain why he wasn't taken till the sixth round?

Just got an invite to the summer WJC camp, hopefully shows well and makes on to the team.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
It's really baffling how undervalued this kid is led the OHL in goals and had 111 points.
I get he was an overager but he's young and was like a month away from being a 2024 draft year and played the entire year as an 18 year old.
He's not small or a trainwreck defensively can anyone who watched him a lot explain why he wasn't taken till the sixth round?

Just got an invite to the summer WJC camp, hopefully shows well and makes on to the team.
Haven't watched his full length games, just some basic film. But NHL teams have their list ranking of probably 100-125 names. It's possible he wasn't on some lists, or just wasn't high on lists, and teams had guys ranked higher that they took.

A lot of mid to later round guys get picked because a certain area scout bangs the table for that player. Could be that no one banged the table for him in the range I honestly thought he'd go, which was 3rd-4th round.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Haven't watched his full length games, just some basic film. But NHL teams have their list ranking of probably 100-125 names. It's possible he wasn't on some lists, or just wasn't high on lists, and teams had guys ranked higher that they took.

A lot of mid to later round guys get picked because a certain area scout bangs the table for that player. Could be that no one banged the table for him in the range I honestly thought he'd go, which was 3rd-4th round.
Makes sense. These scouts get tunnel vision. It was brought up here today that maybe he was viewed as the typical overager putting up big numbers and I admit that's what I thought as well but when I found out he was 18 the whole year just like a lot of 2024 eligibles it changed my perspective.

Also as a big MLB guy you see a lot of teams who draft high schoolers delve deeper into their age in their draft year. So in this case they would pay attention to the fact that in his draft year he was 17 the entire year while majority were 18 for a large chunk and while that might not be a big deal for a JR in college, at 17 to 18 is when a lot of males have big physical growth.

I dunno what do I know over scouts but I just found it really odd overall especially since the OHL is pretty heavily scouted.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Not being biased but he is going to be the best player in this draft when it's said and done.
Hmmm I'd say that's being EXTREMELY biased lol

He had a great year but there is obviously a reason amongst why he didn't get taken till the 6th round after putting up 111 points last season.

I've seen a TON of players over the years in the WHL that put up insane points and are late rounders or don't even get draft at all. Many players have the ability to put up points but have very limited pro potential. By no means am I suggesting that's the case with Romani, but I'm just saying alot of NHL teams see certain things in players

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I have OHL season tickets and have watched him play live multiple times. He passes the eye test for me every time. He has size too and it’s not like he is some tiny player who doesn’t project as a top six or bust type of player.

I wanted the Habs to draft him with one of their third round picks.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Hmmm I'd say that's being EXTREMELY biased lol

He had a great year but there is obviously a reason amongst why he didn't get taken till the 6th round after putting up 111 points last season.

I've seen a TON of players over the years in the WHL that put up insane points and are late rounders or don't even get draft at all. Many players have the ability to put up points but have very limited pro potential. By no means am I suggesting that's the case with Romani, but I'm just saying alot of NHL teams see certain things in players

I think he's going to be a bigger, better skating, better goal scoring version of Brett Hull.

Anything less and he's a bust in my eyes.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
What I am wondering is because he plays in North Bay he gets scouted less. NB is a good ways up north and I’m not sure how many scouts make that drive. It’s easier to scout him in road games.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
What I am wondering is because he plays in North Bay he gets scouted less. NB is a good ways up north and I’m not sure how many scouts make that drive. It’s easier to scout him in road games.
Sudbury and the Soo are further away, no one talks about those teams being under scouted.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
No he would still be scouted the same amount. There is no such thing as CHL players being scouted less anymore. Many years ago yes, but not anymore.

NHL teams expect their scouts to know every player(especially draft eligible players) like the back of their hand.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
No he would still be scouted the same amount. There is no such thing as CHL players being scouted less anymore. Many years ago yes, but not anymore.

NHL teams expect their scouts to know every player(especially draft eligible players) like the back of their hand.

Watched him play a few games this season and was impressed. As far as being scouted, he was the leading scorer so many sets of eyes were taking a good look.
Personally I agree with @wetcoast about his value as a 5th rd pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad