Value of: Matt Murray (with retention or for cap dump)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

yogibear

Mar 21, 2007
Ottawa/Gatineau
No ty. Just go with Murray and Gus next year.
We need to stop the rotating doors and work with the goalies we have.

It’s been 4+ years that Murray is a below average goalie. Cut your loses if you can ASAP. Hoping for a full recovery is a huge gamble. I would like to see the odds for it.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
It’s been 4+ years that Murray is a below average goalie. Cut your loses if you can ASAP. Hoping for a full recovery is a huge gamble. I would like to see the odds for it.
He still has two years left with an annual cap hit of around $6 million - the Sens probably won't be able to move him at the deadline without some serious salary retention. Would ownership want to pay out that kind of money for Murray to be playing for another team?

yogibear

Mar 21, 2007
Ottawa/Gatineau
He still has two years left with an annual cap hit of around $6 million - the Sens probably won't be able to move him at the deadline without some serious salary retention. Would ownership want to pay out that kind of money for Murray to be playing for another team?
Buying out Murray is about 10 millions. If the retention is too high, there is no transaction.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I feel that the Sens have seen enough of Murray to understand that it is unlikely that he stays healthy AND lives up to his remaining salary.
That is some complex situation going on there. Both of Ottawa's buyout 'slots' are being used for the next season or so.

Who's going to want this guy for two more years at $3 million (or whatever the retention is)?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Why is that?
Pinto. But honestly I doubt the sens would do Karl for Murray straight up. You're asking us to add substantially to a starting point that the team already wouldn't accept.

Last edited:

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Pinto. But honestly I doubt the sens would do Karl for Murray straight up. You're asking us to add substantially to a starting point that the team already wouldn't accept.
They get a fan favorite, at a position of need who's playing pretty good and for peanuts for a couple of seasons and half off for a couple of more. After that Karlsson's salary drops way off
I suspect most fans would welcome him back
I also understand the aversion to veteran players here

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
They get a fan favorite, at a position of need who's playing pretty good and for peanuts for a couple of seasons and half off for a couple of more. After that Karlsson's salary drops way off
I suspect most fans would welcome him back
I also understand the aversion to veteran players here

You should try being a used car sales person you would probably do well.

Reactions: Groo

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Karlsson makes 11.5m for 5 more years after this one. Murray is 6.25 for 2 more years and Zaitsev 4.5 for 2 more. No team in their right mind would trade those 2 straight for Karlsson at his full salary.

Look at it this way: Murray is overpaid by 4m for 2 more years. Zaitsev overpaid by 2m for 2 more years. That's 12m in excess money being paid.

Karlsson is overpaid by about 5m for 5 more years. That's 25 million. There's just no way a team would do that swap without Karlsson's salary being retained. Let alone adding a bluechip prospect (who also plays a position of need for Ottawa). Adin Hill doesn't cover that gigantic gap.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Karlsson makes 11.5m for 5 more years after this one. Murray is 6.25 for 2 more years and Zaitsev 4.5 for 2 more. No team in their right mind would trade those 2 straight for Karlsson at his full salary.

Look at it this way: Murray is overpaid by 4m for 2 more years. Zaitsev overpaid by 2m for 2 more years. That's 12m in excess money being paid.

Karlsson is overpaid by about 5m for 5 more years. That's 25 million. There's just no way a team would do that swap without Karlsson's salary being retained. Let alone adding a bluechip prospect (who also plays a position of need for Ottawa). Adin Hill doesn't cover that gigantic gap.
I'll admit I missed the bonus column when I glanced cap friendly spread sheet.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Karlsson being overpaid by 5 million is highly debateable. Before his injury, he was paying at a 65 point pace where someone playing at a 52 point pace in Morgan Rielly just got 7.5 mil by 8 year contract. Karlsson is overpaid but he's overpaid by 3 mil at the absolute most.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Karlsson being overpaid by 5 million is highly debateable. Before his injury, he was paying at a 65 point pace where someone playing at a 52 point pace in Morgan Rielly just got 7.5 mil by 8 year contract. Karlsson is overpaid but he's overpaid by 3 mil at the absolute most.

Karl is like my old high school sweetheart. A part of me will always love them forever.

But if either rings me up out of the blue now, the other part is getting a restraining order against that crazy bitch.

Reactions: yogibear

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad