Value of: Matt Murray (with retention or for cap dump)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
And I think what you view as value and what the team would define as value is markedly different if you somehow think they'd buy him out over getting even a similar cap player to White. I doubt the team thinks he's sunk cost.

The team can't afford to pay close to 5mil for a player that won't be in their top 6. I guarantee you the team would not give him that contract again, and I guarantee you they would happily get out of it if they could. I have defended White more than almost anyone on the Sens board, and he could have salvaged his stint with the Sens if he was healthy this year, but at this point the risk is way too high, he's been passed by too many guys, and money is too thin.

We have no use for a 5m player unless they are significantly better than White. Believe it or not.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The team can't afford to pay close to 5mil for a player that won't be in their top 6. I guarantee you the team would not give him that contract again, and I guarantee you they would happily get out of it if they could. I have defended White more than almost anyone on the Sens board, and he could have salvaged his stint with the Sens if he was healthy this year, but at this point the risk is way too high, he's been passed by too many guys, and money is too thin.

We have no use for a 5m player unless they are significantly better than White. Believe it or not.

Don't really see how they can't afford five mil cap for him but can afford a five mil buyout.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I’d be interested for the Sabres. What kinda pick we talkin? Take Subban or Tokarski going the other way
Good question.

As a fan, my preference would be to trade for a cap dump defenceman who will get paid far too much to be a minor upgrade to our bottom 4.

But if it's picks with zero retention, maybe Ottawa's 2nd in 2022 and 2nd in 2023?

That's a lot of dough to pay each year for a 2nd if he struggles, but if he turns it around we look like fools.

And he might turn it around; he looked great in his last start. The Sens just don't have the deep pockets to afford gambling on him (in my opinion).

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I'm sorry but they're not going to waste that money. They'll do a two for two before they do that even if you find it to be lacking in value.

You keep saying that but you've yet to provide a single reason why. I assume you've done a multi-year run-through of the Sens cap situation, too?

I'm not saying it is a guarantee he is bought out, but he has a very cheap buyout and if they aren't committing to him, a buyout makes more sense than a trade for bad $.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
thats a hard no from me. Murray is beyond cooked. Ottawa would need to add something pretty significant. Goaltending isn’t a position you can have a guy that’s damn near unplayable taking up 5 mil of cap space.

the idea of a Smith-Murray tandem next year gives me the shakes

Yeah I really don't want him . Just throwing shit at the wall the last few days .

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You keep saying that but you've yet to provide a single reason why. I assume you've done a multi-year run-through of the Sens cap situation, too?

I'm not saying it is a guarantee he is bought out, but he has a very cheap buyout and if they aren't committing to him, a buyout makes more sense than a trade for bad $.

It depends on how they view things. Some teams can get more mileage out of certain contracts they're willing to swap. I think they'd be happy to swap Murray out for a league average goalie at the cost of White for something similar. It's much harder to get out of bad goalie contracts. I just don't think Ottawa is going to buy out White before they'd try a swap especially if it gets them out of Murray's deal which is more likely for a buyout just based on roster spots for goalies.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Price goes up after every win. In all seriousness Ottawa has to keep him for another year or so.
Anton Forsberg might be available if someone needs a goalie...

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Im sure there will be fellow Canes fans to crap on this idea but....

Murray at 50% retention and a 2nd day pick

for

Gardiner and Raanta

Canes create more cap flexibility, lose the LTIR tag for this year and next, and gain almost 3.5 million in cap. Canes were about half a million short of the ceiling with Gardiner's LTIR hit causing our ASCL to be 80.9. Canes can save some resources while trading for rentals because eating cap hits wont be as necessary.

Senators, even with eating half Murray's deal, would save 825k in actual money over the full deal because Murray's deal is backloaded. Also they would gain 3 million in cap hit for next season to meet the floor while they continue their build. Gardiner could or may not play next season.

For Murray, he can go down to Chicago for January and maybe February to find his game (if it still exists) and then Canes continue to bridge the gap with Lyon, LaFontaine, and Makiniemi (when he is healthy). Saves the Canes some more cap space as his cap hit goes down to 2 million while in Chicago. Either way, we could eat half of the cap and send him to another team, like Arizona, in the off-season with little additional assets required if his game isnt found. That cap hit would be comparable to buying out Gardiner, in case he is able to play next season. We would gain the cap space now and pay the same cap hit later if need be.

Reactions: Yak and dumbdick

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
So happy to see Murray doing well and regaining form. He’s still relatively young for a goaltender.

He was always criminally underrated for the Pens after 2018 when our defense was one of the worst in the NHL. 19-20 was a bad year for sure.

Would love to see him play in some meaningful games somewhere.

Reactions: Samsquanch

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
No one is suddenly going to want that contract after a run of hot games, but his play lately is exactly why the Sens can be patient. You ride with Murray for at least another 1.5 seasons and then re-evaluate once you need to (potentially) pay Gustavsson.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
At the risk of destroying team chemistry, I still trade him if he plays himself into tradeable territory by the deadline. He's playing amazing and is by far our best option right now, but I'd let another team gamble on him staying in form.

Reactions: yogibear

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Koskinen and a pick for Murray with a bit of retention makes some sense for Edmonton IMO. I'm not sure Murray is exactly a "solution" for them, but the market is so thin right now and Murray at least has a track record of being solid to good in the playoffs.

Reactions: bucks_oil

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
So happy to see Murray doing well and regaining form. He’s still relatively young for a goaltender.

He was always criminally underrated for the Pens after 2018 when our defense was one of the worst in the NHL. 19-20 was a bad year for sure.

Would love to see him play in some meaningful games somewhere.

As a Sens fan Ive always been a big believer in him - at least up until he got waived. Admittedly I thought that was it for him/us... Very stoked to see this confident version of his out there shutting it all down.

But exactly on your post, I agree this guy has been very badly underrated. His AHL stats were sparkling, and he backstopped the Pens to back to back cups. And that just simply doesn't happen by coincidence.

And yet he was only 26 when he arrived in Ottawa - but the vast majority of fans (outside fans and Sens fans alike) believed that he was totally washed up and done, and had little to no chance to regain his form....

Some people went as fas as saying he was never actually good, like ever?

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Who's the goalie coach in Ottawa? Would he or she have anything to do with the comeback?

BTW - for some reason I grabbed Murray as my fantasy team's 3rd goalie. Thank you hockey gods!

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I really hope Murray goes somewhere and succeeds again. He seems like a good guy and I think he has it in him to at least be a competent starter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad