Player Discussion Matt Coronato

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The Flames don't know what to do with Coronato because he's not playing up to the standard that they had planned for. It would be crystal clear if he was playing effective hockey.

• Wow
Reactions: 1989 and Lunatik

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
I've liked Coronato in the NHL this year, I don't think the comment he's shown more is unfair compared to Honzek, Mantha, Pospisil or any of the 4th line guys this season (or Sharangovich but that's been even more limited).

But progress isn't necessarily a straight line and for at least the first part of this season getting him minutes and letting him score are as important as anything. I think shopping an NHL winger makes sense with where Coronato is at, and playing in the AHL until xmas isn't going to ruin him or the relationship.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I imagine if Mantha continues to be a ghost he will be benched sooner rather than later. That opens a spot in the top 6 for Coronato. My guess is that the Flames told Coronato this was a very short term situation to keep him in game shape and that the Flames roster was going to sort itself out soon.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
God's country just outside of Calgary
Coronato needs to tell his agent to shut the f*** up. When he starts producing at the nhl level then he can start bitching if he feels he's being mishandled. Right now, based on his play so far, he's exactly where he deserves to be.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Coronato needs to tell his agent to shut the f*** up. When he starts producing at the nhl level then he can start bitching if he feels he's being mishandled. Right now, based on his play do far, he's exactly where he deserves to be.
…his agent quite literally didn’t say a single word. It’s also funny because the agent has also since removed the tweet as well, a pretty obvious sign that this was blown way out of proportion from what was expected so he backtracked. Key board warriors are making mountains out of mole hills here.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
…his agent quite literally didn’t say a single word. It’s also funny because the agent has also since removed the tweet as well, a pretty obvious sign that this was blown way out of proportion from what was expected so he backtracked. Key board warriors are making mountains out of mole hills here.
Coronato's first game with the Wrangler's probably didn't help. Even the Wranglers color guy commented on how Coronato was just okay after a good first couple shifts.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Coronato's first game with the Wrangler's probably didn't help. Even the Wranglers color guy commented on how Coronato was just okay after a good first couple shifts.
Player usually have that initial stretch after getting sent down where their play is lackluster, and it’s pretty easy to see why. In the human side of things, you both got told you’re not quite there for reaching your dream yet, and on the financial standpoint he just went from an 800k a year job to a 60-80k. 1-3 slow games are pretty fair from his standpoint.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
But progress isn't necessarily a straight line and for at least the first part of this season getting him minutes and letting him score are as important as anything. I think shopping an NHL winger makes sense with where Coronato is at, and playing in the AHL until xmas isn't going to ruin him or the relationship.

Just for reference because this was something I was looking at a couple weeks back when we were discussing prospects on this board.

The 08-09 Blackhawks started the Chicago dynasty of the early 2010's with a lengthy run in the playoffs with a really young squad; of course with Kane and Toews in their sophomore seasons. Of that squad here are the younger guys (<26) who became prominent players in the NHL or long time NHLers (800+ games played in the NHL) outside of the two guys previously named.

Duncan Keith
Patrick Sharp
Kris Versteeg
Troy Brouwer
Andrew Ladd
Dustin Byfuglien
Brent Seabrook
Nik Hjalmarsson
Corey Crawford

Here's the ages at which these players played their first full seasons in the NHL:

Duncan Keith (21)
Patrick Sharp (23)
Kris Versteeg (22)
Troy Brouwer (23)
Andrew Ladd (22)
Dustin Byfuglien (24)
Brent Seabrook (20)
Nik Hjalmarsson (23)
Corey Crawford (25)

Coronato is in his 21 season (turning 22 in Nov). There's still a bunch of runway here, for him to carve out a long career in the NHL and score a bunch of goals for this team. This management team hasn't done anything to make me reconsider my faith in them, let guys like Mantha and Kuzmenko play off into the sunset, earn this team a couple more mid-round picks. We won't be runing anything for any of the young guys who deserve a spot with them playing in the AHL. It's not like it's in Stockton or anything, they're in the same barn as the big club.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
In my opinion, it seems like management is doing the same thing as our previous managements. Just fill roster spots with vets,. When Zary and Pospisil became full time NHL players last year it breathed some life into the season. They've developed in the NHL to what they are now, and they're still young and progressing. i believe Coronato and to a point Pelletier should be getting NHL ice time, and not necessarily 6 minutes a night on the 4th line. Shake it up, mix it up. This is supposed to be a throw away year. Give the kids a chance. Why the hell not?
Even Dustin Wolf. Last game he was going for his 8th consecutive win. He's our future and he's playing superb. Give him more starts. He's our plan, he's supposed to be here for a good long time. Play him, play him, play him. If Markstrom was still here, where do you think Wolf would be? Back in the AHL again. Same situation as Coronato's
I love Kuzmenko's attitude and interviews, but him and Mantha are expendable in my opinion. We have a lot of good players in the system that will be ready to come up and be NHL players. Why are we postponing Coronato's NHL ice time. In his limited role this year, he's been one of our best forwards statistically.
Anyways, like I say, that's just my opinion and I'm not looking to defend myself or argue. Agree or disagree, I'm here for a long time, and I want the kids to get a decent chance to prove themselves.

Another point, I believe Conroy admitted he pretty much offered all of our UFA;s an extension last year, so that could be his agenda again this year with Kuzmenko and Mantha. If that's the case, our youth will end up being shipped somewhere else to become successful like we've seen in the past.

Last edited:

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
In my opinion, it seems like management is doing the same thing as our previous managements. Just fill roster spots with vets,. When Zary and Pospisil became full time NHL players last year it breathed some life into the season. They've developed in the NHL to what they are now, and they're still young and progressing. i believe Coronato and to a point Pelletier should be getting NHL ice time, and not necessarily 6 minutes a night on the 4th line. Shake it up, mix it up. This is supposed to be a throw away year. Give the kids a chance. Why the hell not?
Even Dustin Wolf. Last game he was going for his 8th consecutive win. He's our future and he's playing superb. Give him more starts. He's our plan, he's supposed to be here for a good long time. Play him, play him, play him. If Markstrom was still here, where do you think Wolf would be? Back in the AHL again. Same situation as Coronato's
I love Kuzmenko's attitude and interviews, but him and Mantha are expendable in my opinion. We have a lot of good players in the system that will be ready to come up and be NHL players. Why are we postponing Coronato's NHL ice time. In his limited role this year, he's been one of our best forwards statistically.
Anyways, like I say, that's just my opinion and I'm not looking to defend myself or argue. Agree or disagree, I'm here for a long time, and I want the kids to get a decent chance to prove themselves.

Another point, I believe Conroy admitted he pretty much offered all of our UFA;s an extension last year, so that could be his agenda again this year with Kuzmenko and Mantha. If that's the case, our youth will end up being shipped somewhere else to become successful like we've seen in the past.
There is a difference though, Zary and Pospisil were given a chance and they played well. Thus they stayed in the NHL. Coronato had a chance and he was very mediocre (at best), so it makes sense to give him top minutes with the Wranglers.

Complaining that Wolf is only playing every other game makes no sense, this is a whole new level of competition for him, he's very young for an NHL goaltender... he's likely going to get more time as the season progresses and he shows he's better than Vladar.

There is zero reason to think he's going to extend Mantha, there is a reason dude was only offered a 1-year deal in the first place. If we had offered him all over it, Mantha would have pounced on it like a lion on a gazelle.

Also zero reason to think the youth will be traded, that is just f***ing absurd. What f***ing "youth" have we shipped out that had any success? The only youth we ever traded was Sven and he was a bust. I guess you can count Valimaki, but he was hot f***ing garbage in camp that year and didn't earn shit. I'm also not sure him being gifted minutes on a bottom feed constitutes "success"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad