Confirmed with Link: Matiss Kivlenieks has passed away at age 24

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I had dreams for Elvis possibly being the goalie to get us a cup but it’s pretty clear this man can’t do jt. And he will never be able to he just doesn’t have it (and it sucks!)

but at this point you gotta trade him ASAP. Either him or korp was getting traded I think this cements it elvis needs to be traded he is not the man for the cbj
What a randomly weird take

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
What a randomly weird take
Yeah. Nothing says the CBJ is a clown organization more than trading a guy because he's "damaged goods" emotionally without ever getting a chance to cope with it and move on. In the Espen Knutsen example, his actions, albeit completely an accident, directly caused the girl's death. Dany Heatley's actions directly caused Dan Snyder's death. They both had huge amounts of guilt because of that direct connection. Elvis just happened to be there and nothing has been reported that anything he did was a direct cause.

I think Elvis can come through this. Allow him to grieve and refocus. This is what Kivi would have wanted him to do. Elvis is a guy who wears his emotion on his sleeve and I think in this case it is good for him. He can openly talk and express what he is feeling instead of keeping it bottled up. He is already doing some of that on his IG page with his tributes and appreciation for the support.

If anything I'm more concerned about Manny Legace and his family. It was his house. He possibly and probably purchased the fireworks for his celebration of his daughter's marriage. He could really harbor some long term guilt over this if not properly dealt with.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
I had dreams for Elvis possibly being the goalie to get us a cup but it’s pretty clear this man can’t do jt. And he will never be able to he just doesn’t have it (and it sucks!)

but at this point you gotta trade him ASAP. Either him or korp was getting traded I think this cements it elvis needs to be traded he is not the man for the cbj

https://c.tenor.com/OGNLyiT7Q0MAAAAM/what-the-f***-wtf.gif

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH

this is such a ridiculous post, i’m not even gonna spend another second typing away about it. disgraceful.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I was out for a few days, but what a tragedy.
From all reports Matiss was a happy guy that the other plays adored. He was likely going to be our #2 goalie this season (assuming one of the other 2 were traded).
Also just imagine Manny's daugther - gets married and has a tragedy like that occur, I couldn't imaging (and yes I know rough for many people).

Reactions: Kleefeld

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

What a dumb comment (I expect to be deleted), but even more so because of who Elvis is.

From The Athletic nearly three years ago:
He’s overcome the disappearance and death of his father, Vjaceslav. He’s endured years of emotional and financial hardship. He’s escaped the temptations and dangers of the mean streets in Riga, Latvia, that claimed the lives of childhood friends. He’s worked through bouts of immaturity with the understanding he’s not a finished product.

A rebellious Merzlikins started to hang out with the wrong crowd. He said two of his childhood friends are dead of overdoses and a third is in jail.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Man this just doesn't feel real to me, it's hard to get past this. It's just so shocking. RIP Kivi, you will be missed.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Grigorenko about Matiss

— The higher news of recent days is the tragic death of your former Columbus teammate Matiss Kivlenieks.
— It is very difficult for me to talk about this. It was a great tragedy. The guy was cheerful, always good-natured, always appeared in the arena with a smile. We talked quite closely with him when he was raised in the NHL. Matiss spoke Russian, so we always kept a big company — me, Vlad Gavrikov, Elvis Merzlikins and him. I still can't believe that this happened to him. The incident does not fit into my head at all. It seems that Matisse will come and everything will be fine. This is a very difficult moment for each of us. Condolences to the family and friends. This is a huge loss.

Last edited:

leafsgirl12

Apr 29, 2014
Canada
Yeah. Nothing says the CBJ is a clown organization more than trading a guy because he's "damaged goods" emotionally without ever getting a chance to cope with it and move on. In the Espen Knutsen example, his actions, albeit completely an accident, directly caused the girl's death. Dany Heatley's actions directly caused Dan Snyder's death. They both had huge amounts of guilt because of that direct connection. Elvis just happened to be there and nothing has been reported that anything he did was a direct cause.

I think Elvis can come through this. Allow him to grieve and refocus. This is what Kivi would have wanted him to do. Elvis is a guy who wears his emotion on his sleeve and I think in this case it is good for him. He can openly talk and express what he is feeling instead of keeping it bottled up. He is already doing some of that on his IG page with his tributes and appreciation for the support.

If anything I'm more concerned about Manny Legace and his family. It was his house. He possibly and probably purchased the fireworks for his celebration of his daughter's marriage. He could really harbor some long term guilt over this if not properly dealt with.
Well said and likely true . No doubt Elvis just happened to be there

leafsgirl12

Apr 29, 2014
Canada
What a dumb comment (I expect to be deleted), but even more so because of who Elvis is.

From The Athletic nearly three years ago:
So likely Elvis will be able to handle this tragedy just will likely need time to properly grieve and possibly some grief counseling since no doubt witnessing what happened would be traumatizing

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
People handle death very differently. Some are able to accept it and move on very quickly. Others are permanently scarred and never quite get over significant losses.

My inclination is to think that Elvis will be one who isn't going to be paralyzed by the loss-though I certainly could be wrong about this. My concern would be with Manny Legace due to the fact that it happened at a gathering at his house. I don't think there is anything that suggests that the fireworks mishap was anything more than a horrible accident. If this is the case-which I'm almost certain that it is-I hope Legace can absolve himself of any guilt that he might (probably) have in short order.

Hockey players have died during team gatherings in the past. Bob Gassoff of the St. Louis Blues died in 1977 while riding a motorcycle at a party thrown by teammate Gary Unger. Steve Chiassan died while driving home after an end of the season party of the Carolina Hurricanes in 1999. There's a certain amount of tragic randomness in this world and hockey teams are certainly not immune to it. I hope Manny Legace and others come to that understanding.

Last edited:

leafsgirl12

Apr 29, 2014
Canada
People handle death very differently. Some are able to accept it and move on very quickly. Others are permanently scarred and never quite get over significant losses.

My inclination is to think that Elvis will be one who isn't going to be paralyzed by the loss-though I certainly could be wrong about this. My concern would be with Manny Legace due to the fact that it happened at a gathering at his house. I don't think there is anything that suggests that the fireworks mishap was anything more than a horrible accident. If this is the case-which I'm almost certain that it is-I hope Legace can absolve himself of any guilt that he might (probably) have in short order.

Hockey players have died during team gatherings in the past. Bob Gassoff of the St. Louis Blues died in 1977 while riding a motorcycle at a party thrown by teammate Gary Unger. Steve Chiassan died while driving home after an end of the season party of the Carolina Hurricanes in 1999. There's a certain amount of tragic randomness in this world and hockey teams are certainly not immune to it. I hope Manny Legace and others come to that understanding.
True no doubt people handle grief differently, someone posted parts of a article in this thread about Elvis having lost friends in his home town due to other reasons so seems not to the first time he has dealt with grief, though being there this time may make this a bit harder to deal with but becoming a dad soon could possibly help him cope with his grief

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Are Elvis and his wife having a son or daughter? I am not suggesting I know Elvis and his wife at all but I am guessing I have a decent idea on what the baby’s first or middle name will be.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Are Elvis and his wife having a son or daughter? I am not suggesting I know Elvis and his wife at all but I am guessing I have a decent idea on what the baby’s first or middle name will be.
Judging by their instagram pages, their gender reveal said it was going to be a boy.

Reactions: leafsgirl12

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
The amount of information we have at our fingertips today is breathtaking.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009

I’m not going to link everything from the statements and speeches. If you want to read them, click on Hedgers Twitter and they’re all there.

Reactions: leafsgirl12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad