Confirmed with Link: Mathieu Joseph traded to Blues

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
A lot of us are down for change. This is pretty minimal change with poor asset management

A lot of people are trying to paint these players as bad apples with zero proof but as justification for getting poor value or in Josephs case giving up a pick aswell.

If the locker room is cancerous then minimal changes won't change much
There will be at minimum 6 new faces. Ullmark, Amadio, Perron, Kleven, Gregor, 4th line Center. Likely 1 or 2 more depending how the summer and camp shakes out. That's like a third of the roster.

Reactions: LiseL

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
A lot of us are down for change. This is pretty minimal change with poor asset management

A lot of people are trying to paint these players as bad apples with zero proof but as justification for getting poor value or in Josephs case giving up a pick aswell.

If the locker room is cancerous then minimal changes won't change much
This.

If Joseph is just a side character in a hypothetically bad locker room, moving him doesn't do much. It's a slap on the wrist.

If people think critics of this trade don't want players who shit the bed last season to be moved, ask yourselves who these bed shitters are.

Stu, Chabot, Norris, etc... All shat the bed harder than Joseph. That doesn't mean we need to trade everyone of them, but the notion that Joseph's on ice performance had anything to do with his trade doesn't make sense.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
This.

If Joseph is just a side character in a hypothetically bad locker room, moving him doesn't do much. It's a slap on the wrist.

If people think critics of this trade don't want players who shit the bed last season to be moved, ask yourselves who these bed shitters are.

Stu, Chabot, Norris, etc... All shat the bed harder than Joseph. That doesn't mean we need to trade everyone of them, but the notion that Joseph's on ice performance had anything to do with his trade doesn't make sense.

A few of those players may very well still be moved, but with their contracts, it’s a lot harder and will take more time. I don’t think anyone other than Tkachuk, Sanderson and Stützle should feel “safe”.

But dumping relatively insignificant pieces like Joseph and Brannstrom is easy and quick, so Staios has gone ahead and done it. As he should have. Those players were very much a part of the bed shitting and needed to be changed out.

“Well we can’t trade Norris because of his contract and health so let’s just keep everyone else too” would be a pretty dumb way to go about it.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
He really isnt. He cant create offense out of nothing or off the rush. Sens forward group is slow as molasses. Slowest in the entire league possibly but they arent heavy either. You need to be one or the other. This team is going to somehow be even easier to play against than last year.
I would wager we will make the playoffs this year.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Yikes the hyperbole.

We have a 22 year old dynamic #1 C who can score 90+ points.
We have a 23 year old top-end power-forward who can score 35+ goals and 80+ points.
We have a 21 year old defenseman who skates like the wind and has the potential to be a Norris contender.

You have Pinto (22) and Greig (21), and even with the question marks around them, Chabot, Norris and Batherson are good NHL players.

And we just acquired a Vezina trophy winning goalie and drafted a 6'3, 200+ lb right-shot defenseman with elite offensive skills.

This teams needs better structure, better depth and stable veterans who can play defined roles every single game.

That's what Staios is doing here. Chychrun has more name recognition than Jensen, but Jensen is a better fit for the role we need. Amadio isn't as fast or flashy as Joseph can be, but he's a predictable, versatile forward that is better suited to be a bottom 6 player on a winning team. Perron isn't a superstar offensive winger, but he's a grizzled veteran who'll improve our 23rd ranked PP.

This team can be a winner, and it looks a lot better today than it did 3 weeks ago.

You went with last seasons ages on everyone to make it sound better lol

Stutzle starts the year at 22 years old, yes.

But Tkachuk will be 25 in October, not 23.

Sanderson will be 22, not 21.

Pinto 23, not 22.

Greig 22 not 21.

You just listed a handful of good players that are already in or are about to enter their statistical prime, and they haven't come close to sniffing the playoffs, let alone the cup.

The rest of the roster is generally very meh.

Do you see the foundation of a cup winner? You've put too much faith in the core dorion has assembled. He's not a genius. This isn't a cup winning core. We don't have the value around in picks or prospects or depth to make this core a cup winner either.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
You went with last seasons ages on everyone to make it sound better lol

Stutzle starts the year at 22 years old, yes.

But Tkachuk will be 25 in October, not 23.

Sanderson will be 22, not 21.

Pinto 23, not 22.

Greig 22 not 21.

You just listed a handful of good players that are already in or are about to enter their statistical prime, and they haven't come close to sniffing the playoffs, let alone the cup.

The rest of the roster is generally very meh.

Do you see the foundation of a cup winner? You've put too much faith in the core dorion has assembled. He's not a genius. This isn't a cup winning core. We don't have the value around in picks or prospects or depth to make this core a cup winner either.

Do I see the foundation of a cup winner right now? No, the players we have need to take another step, and there’s no guarantee they do that. But there’s also no reason they can’t.

I thought the Leafs had the foundation of a cup winner when they drafter Matthews and Marner and never once though the 2019 Blues had any sort of foundation… and look what happened.

Nobody thought Roope Hintz or Jason Robertson were going to be a foundational pieces on a cup contender until they all of a sudden were foundational pieces on a cup contender.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Do I see the foundation of a cup winner right now? No, the players we have need to take another step, and there’s no guarantee they do that. But there’s also no reason they can’t.

I thought the Leafs had the foundation of a cup winner when they drafter Matthews and Marner and never once though the 2019 Blues had any sort of foundation… and look what happened.

Nobody thought Roope Hintz or Jason Robertson were going to be a foundational pieces on a cup contender until they all of a sudden were foundational pieces on a cup contender.

No, I don't see a cup winning foundation either.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
He really isnt. He cant create offense out of nothing or off the rush. Sens forward group is slow as molasses. Slowest in the entire league possibly but they arent heavy either. You need to be one or the other. This team is going to somehow be even easier to play against than last year.
Joseph had opportunities on the PP and elsewhere, yet couldn't produce much in the way of offence. During the seasons we've had Joseph, Perron has produced at a better rate, and offers something to our PP. He also offers veteran presence and the fact he played a leading roll in winning a Stanley Cup for St Louis. He's bringing a lot more than we have been getting from Joseph.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

It's not always a linear path like Edmonton just showed too. They didn't win it all, but how long did it take their roster to mature to having one capable of that.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Man these last few days have really shown me how insufferable some of my fellow Sens fans are..

Staios had to clean up the mess of the last GM. That is now done. Its not Staios' fault he was left a gong show.

Matt Joseph was one of the most mid players on this team. He really didnt bring much and we replaced him with two players who will help change the culture of that forward group.

I hate the idea we should have just ran it back. We were not good enough! We needed change so as to not become the Toronto Maple Leafs. This is part of the real culture change this team has needed.
When your brakes are squealing, you don't tear apart the engine. We needed help in goal & defense.. Ullmark ✔️ Joseph was not the problem imo. Nor was Chychrun, who never got enough PP. Meanwhile Chabot is still here, with a big raise..

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Soooooo..... we traded Nick Paul for this guy, end up paying him 200k less than Paul gets who plays wing and centre, then trade him with a third to get rid of him?

God damnit...
I feel ya brother. And then lose Brown to UFA cuz he's po'ed they wouldn't pay Paul.. who was available here at a better deal than he signed in Tampa.
Dorion never valued the grind it to win types.

Reactions: LiseL and BK201

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
The guy was sat out last year due to off ice issues before the game against his brother. At least they're on the same team now.

• Haha

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Someone here this summer said it best.

The moves are not gonna be splashy, everyone is going to bitch and moan, but the team is going to be far better off on the ice.

I'm much more confident in this team this week than I was last week.
The first 20 games next season will be interesting to gauge the value of Staios' summer activity.

I think you need to let the new regime settle in first. I HATE this trade, but we need to sign Pinto, what can we do. They cleaned up some of Dorion's mistakes, they trotted in some vets. Let's see how it goes.

I re-iterate though, I HATE this trade
Pinto signed a bridge deal. The cap savings from trading Jospeh was not required to pay Pinto. There must be something else in the works.

Reactions: lancepitlick

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The first 20 games next season will be interesting to gauge the value of Staios' summer activity.

Pinto signed a bridge deal. The cap savings from trading Jospeh was not required to pay Pinto. There must be something else in the works.
It certainly will be. Lots of change at minimum. New Coaching staff and a good third of the roster turned over.

I'm bullish on two things.

1. Korpisalo was awful and I'm glad is nowhere near this team anymore.

2. Ullmark is not like the long list of backups we've brought in over the years, he's the real deal.

If this team can get some real, NHL level tending, I think they can start to turn the corner. Obviously a lot more is needed on top of that, but it was the biggest required change imo.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
No offence but this is a simplistic way of looking at things. Our issues last year were
1.Goaltending
2.Poor team D
3. Special teams.

Joseph is good defensively and on the PK, and obviously has nothing to do with goaltending, trading him doesn't improve anything.
Frees up some money to sign Pinto + provides some cap flexibility.

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
I feel the same about Joseph/Chychrun, where we gave up a fair bit to get them and I'd hoped to see more in return. But obviously they aren't that highly valued around the league as there were no better offers made. Hard to fault Staois as he isn't the one who acquired them.

Joseph was inconsistent as hell, missed an important game due to being an idiot (getting wasted? Missing a curfew? Sleeping through practice? IDK) and is movable for a team that needs a new look. It is what it is. Hopefully there are less of these scenarios where the Sens get ravaged in terms of asset management, but it'll take years and years to fully wipe out the Dorion stink.

Speaking of which, is Dorion working anywhere in the league these days?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I feel the same about Joseph/Chychrun, where we gave up a fair bit to get them and I'd hoped to see more in return. But obviously they aren't that highly valued around the league as there were no better offers made. Hard to fault Staois as he isn't the one who acquired them.

Joseph was inconsistent as hell, missed an important game due to being an idiot (getting wasted? Missing a curfew? Sleeping through practice? IDK) and is movable for a team that needs a new look. It is what it is. Hopefully there are less of these scenarios where the Sens get ravaged in terms of asset management, but it'll take years and years to fully wipe out the Dorion stink.

Speaking of which, is Dorion working anywhere in the league these days?
@aragorn reported seeing him at Dev Camp

• Haha
Reactions: Loach

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
If that's how you feel then the problem would be the core, not the fringe players.
I think they're hoping that by bringing in more veteran leadership, it will help the core improve. G couldn't do it by himself. Doesn't hurt that Perron has won a cup and has some sandpaper to his game. Jenson is also a veteran who is a stay-at-home RD, something we really needed. I'm good with the roster changes.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
I guess I will wait and see cause I really have a hard time following

Dreger mentionned that Staios told GMs he had a 1st and 2nd offer for Chychrun and then trades him for Jensen and a 3rd, and I honestly like Jensen…

Then this for Joseph, I dont think he was that bad and that much of a burden? I really wanna give Staios a shot but honestly he has lost every trade aside from Linus

I understand the « cleaning up » stuff but idk
I thought Dreger said Staios was looking for a 1st and a 2nd, I guess there were no takers. At least with this trade, we got a stay-at-home RD, something we really needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad