Confirmed with Link: Mathieu Joseph traded to Blues

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Yeah, pretty strange to see these Joseph evaluations. I am shocked by this deal, this league is built on speed and he is a versatile player.

Yeah his work ethic was not an issue at all if anything many nights he lead the charge. Horrid asset management here.
I'm gonna put my head in the sand and believe that Staois had no option. He had to clear cap and this was the guy to clear it so he can sign Pinto. Nevermind that he signed a similar player in UFA, but still...this is his guy to clear cap.

Otherwise Staois is a tool and I don't want to believe that.

• Haha
Reactions: SensFanInMTL

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
He really isnt. He cant create offense out of nothing or off the rush. Sens forward group is slow as molasses. Slowest in the entire league possibly but they arent heavy either. You need to be one or the other. This team is going to somehow be even easier to play against than last year.

Stutzle and Sanderson are elite skaters. Chabot, Batherson, Norris, Jensen are above average. Pinto, Tkachuk and Zub are average. The only "slow" guys are Perron, Greig and Giroux, but they're pretty crafty and make up for it.

At the bottom end, Gregor is a burner and Amadio is fine, and we'll see how they fill out the 4th line. Based on the swap of Kastelic for Gregor, I think speed will be a priority.

I don't think it's that big an issue.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
He really isnt. He cant create offense out of nothing or off the rush. Sens forward group is slow as molasses. Slowest in the entire league possibly but they arent heavy either. You need to be one or the other. This team is going to somehow be even easier to play against than last year.
We have enough players who can ONLY create off the rush. That's pretty much all the team did last year. Guys like Stützle, Batherson, Norris, Giroux, Greig, and Joseph would attack the exact same every single shift, come flying down the middle trying to create something with their speed and skill. We were very one-dimensional offensively, and Ottawa definitely needed to be more versatile offensively. A guy like Perron does that for us because he can create offense off the walls and down low, which we weren't very good at last season.

And our forward group is nowhere near slowest in the league.

Reactions: LiseL

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah, pretty strange to see these Joseph evaluations. I am shocked by this deal, this league is built on speed and he is a versatile player.
He's fast and nothing else.

Not that good defensively, doesn't produce much and is overpaid.

The contract is an anchor.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
Stutzle and Sanderson are elite skaters. Chabot, Batherson, Norris, Jensen are above average. Pinto, Tkachuk and Zub are average. The only "slow" guys are Perron, Greig and Giroux, but they're pretty crafty and make up for it.

At the bottom end, Gregor is a burner and Amadio is fine, and we'll see how they fill out the 4th line. Based on the swap of Kastelic for Gregor, I think speed will be a priority.

Last time I've checked you're not very good with your predictions.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
It's fascinating to me that this fanbase watched this roster shit the bed last year yet are so attached and think that many of the players who shit that bed are good and should stay for this upcoming season.
I totally agree with you, I've been saying this awhile now our fans base always bitch and moan about players when they play for the Sens but all of a sudden they like them when they play elsewhere. Lolll is so funny to me. I'm telling you fans were bitching about Joseph, Chychrun and Korpisalo but now that they are gone those same fans are upset Lolll Oh baby you just can't please a Sens fan remind me of my ex-wife Lollll

Reactions: LiseL and CallSaul

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024

The other GMs in the league must feel differently, because they didn't want Joseph, which is why he had to be dumped on St.Louis.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

If you think this team is anything close to fast you are living in a fantasy land.

Jensen is not an elite skater at 33 years old. The only fast players on the team are Sanderson, Stutzle and Gregor. Everyone is average or below. Anyone counting on Norris is also very likely riding that train to summer fantasy camp as well.

He's fast and nothing else.

Not that good defensively, doesn't produce much and is overpaid.

The contract is an anchor.
2.9 million in a cap world that is 88 million and the player scored 35 points with no PP time and is a high end penalty killer. No that's not an anchor.

SensFanInMTL

Apr 25, 2020
I'm gonna put my head in the sand and believe that Staois had no option. He had to clear cap and this was the guy to clear it so he can sign Pinto. Nevermind that he signed a similar player in UFA, but still...this is his guy to clear cap.

Otherwise Staois is a tool and I don't want to believe that.
I will turn both cheeks and not witness any of this.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Gregor replaces Joseph's speed

They just brought in Noah Gregor, who arguably has better speed than Joseph.
Isn’t Gregor supposed to be slotted on the 4th line which is different from Joseph who played a little higher typically in the lineup?

I’m thinking its Amadio taking Joseph’s spot for $395 k less.

I guess I’m thinking of the expression: “same but different" here. LOL.

The Joseph trade might be a precursor to another move like maybe signing Pinto.

Last edited:

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
If you think this team is anything close to fast you are living in a fantasy land.

Jensen is not an elite skater at 33 years old. The only fast players on the team are Sanderson, Stutzle and Gregor. Everyone is average or below. Anyone counting on Norris is also very likely riding that train to summer fantasy camp as well.

Not really true.

Batherson ranked in the 92nd percentile of forwards last year in speed bursts over 20mph, and 70th percentile in top speed recorded. Norris was in the 84th percentile and 81st percentile.

Both are well above average, at the higher end of the league.

Jensen still above average, even at 33 amongst defensemen, as is Chabot.

Joseph was going to play 12-13 minutes a night here next year. He was a burner, no doubt, but that speed can be replaced. We have two open spots on the 4th line. We'll see who gets those.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Isn’t Gregor supposed to be slotted on the 4th line which is different from Joseph who played a little higher typically in the lineup?

I guess I’m thinking of the expression: “same but different here”. LOL.
It doesn't matter where he's slotted into in the bottom 6. He'll be used in Joseph's spot on the PK which is the most important thing.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
We are seeing a two tiered league develop, one of massive money core players, and everybody else.

Joseph is part of everybody else, and if his salary isn't suitably economical, he's a cap liability.
Interesting way to think about it. Still some middle of the pack guys though.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
There's certainly a lot of less to clean up. Joseph brought good pk-ing and speed for $3M. He's not overpaid based on the other deals that happened yesterday. If we gave him up for nothing, all good, but it didn't look like he had that much negative value. That's the upsetting part. The team is obviously needing some turnover, it's just costing a lot more than anticipated to do it. Nobody was married to keeping Joseph here, certainly replaceable.

Replaceable is exactly what 31 other GMs said about Joseph. Hence why we just had to pay to dump him. He is nothing special.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Not really true.

Batherson ranked in the 92nd percentile of forwards last year in speed bursts over 20mph, and 70th percentile in top speed recorded. Norris was in the 84th percentile and 81st percentile.

Both are well above average, at the higher end of the league.

Jensen still above average, even at 33 amongst defensemen, as is Chabot.

Joseph was going to play 12-13 minutes a night here next year. He was a burner, no doubt, but that speed can be replaced. We have two open spots on the 4th line. We'll see who gets those.
Skating fast and playing fast are two very different things. You need to do both to be fast, Batherson doesnt play that way. You keep bringing up Norris he has played 58 games in two years, was scared of his own shadow last year and has had a 3rd shoulder surgery. Just stop.

Jensen lost a step last year its well documented. Whenever you want to face the reality of the situation I welcome it.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Replaceable is exactly what 31 other GMs said about Joseph. Hence why we just had to pay to dump him. He is nothing special.
But should be worth more to a team with no depth or speed like Ottawa than dumping him with a 3rd rounder.

The salary cap is 88 million he makes less than 3. Math isnt that hard he is not an 'anchor'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad